Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Planned Diversions From SFO to OAK/SJC

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I'd bet that UA, as a percentage of passengers, has more misconnects and people just abandoning their trips because of IRROPS than any other airline at SFO. Of course, I base this statement using the same orifice full of gas that many other posts in this thread emanate.
Likely to be true because UA is the dominant carrier at SFO but why is that relevant? The point is that when one purchases a ticket to/from SFO, that is where one expects to arrive or depart as the case may be. We all know to expect some weather-based delays at SFO. Sitting and waiting in a lounge is one thing but trekking all around the Bay Area by ground is something totally different. If people choose AS with full disclosure of that possibility, no problem, but otherwise it is outside the reasonable expectation of anyone, including very experienced travelers, to occur on a regular basis.

Anyway, those of us on this thread are now informed and so are many more people to the McGinnis article. I for one am grateful for knowing about this ahead of time so I can make my own decision as to whether to sign up for it.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:53 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by isaac.chambers
2. Is there any leeway to reroute your flights through PDX or SEA to avoid the drive along the 101 freeway? Instead of bussing to SJC?
3. If i decide to buy ticket on WN out of OAK...will they pay for my ticket on WN due to the inconvenience?
2: I was given the option to fly SFO-PDX (or SEA)-PHX when it happened to me. No alternatives over the phone at least to get an AA or UA nonstop out of SFO. No idea what would have happened if I showed up at SFO after the bus left.

3: Extremely unlikely. You might have a better chance to find gas under $1.99 in Pacifica than getting AS to write you a ticket on WN out of OAK.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 10:30 am

Partly cloudy today so SLC, MCI, SNA all operating from SJC.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 11:50 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Looks like it's not weather at SFO today, or at least not as a I post this:
Due to RWY-TAXI / CONSTRUCTION, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving San Francisco International Airport, San Francisco, CA (SFO). This is causing some arriving flights to be delayed an average of 1 hour and 31 minutes.
https://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/usmap.jsp

A sampling of UA regional flight arrival times at SFO:

The 0822 arrival from Santa Barbara is due in 3hrs 43 mins late.
The 0840 arrival from Aspen is due in 3hrs 22 mins late.
The 0940 arrival from Jackson is due in 2hrs 24 mins late.
The 0955 arrival from Sacramento is due in 3hrs 1 min late.
The 1055 arrival from Burbank is due in 2hrs 22 mins late.

Some of the UA regional flight departures at SFO are taking a hit, too.

The 0935 Sacramento departure is currently delayed 2hrs 50 mins.
The 0900 Eugene departure is currently delayed 3hrs 25 mins.
The 0940 Ontario departure is currently delayed 2hrs 20 mins.

I think I'd take an on-time reroute to SJC with Alaska today versus a 3 hour delay.
Paubri and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by tom911
Some of the UA regional flight departures at SFO are taking a hit, too.

The 0935 Sacramento departure is currently delayed 2hrs 50 mins.
The 0900 Eugene departure is currently delayed 3hrs 25 mins.
UA mainline, surprisingly, took it even worse. Almost 5 hour delay for the 5:35am EUG departure. I'd rather have SJC and a bus under those circumstances.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Partly cloudy today so SLC, MCI, SNA all operating from SJC.
Early this morning was "ideal weather" for delays. My hot tub cover was wet at about 8 AM, which means it must have been mighty misty earlier.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 2:00 pm

Rained (drizzled?) just enough overnight to mess up my car windows. Not real common to get rain in the East Bay in June.

Per FAA site, there are still delays at SFO averaging 1 hr 31 min at 1:20 PM due to "rwy-taxi construction."

Last edited by sltlyamusd; Jun 25, 2018 at 2:21 pm
Old Jun 25, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
I disagree with your analysis; you may be re-routed to Oakland or San Jose, but Alaska is providing you transportation. Life goes on. You are delayed anyway, so why not fly and get closer? Further, if you are lucky and get Oakland you also have the alternate BART option as well to get across the bay.

Don't get me wrong - it is a pain in the bottom. But I like this policy. Plus, because of all of the issues 90% of my flights are Oakland and San Jose anyway. I avoid SFO for this reason.

Originally Posted by sfolawyer
Likely to be true because UA is the dominant carrier at SFO but why is that relevant? The point is that when one purchases a ticket to/from SFO, that is where one expects to arrive or depart as the case may be. We all know to expect some weather-based delays at SFO. Sitting and waiting in a lounge is one thing but trekking all around the Bay Area by ground is something totally different. If people choose AS with full disclosure of that possibility, no problem, but otherwise it is outside the reasonable expectation of anyone, including very experienced travelers, to occur on a regular basis.

Anyway, those of us on this thread are now informed and so are many more people to the McGinnis article. I for one am grateful for knowing about this ahead of time so I can make my own decision as to whether to sign up for it.

Last edited by WebTraveler; Jun 25, 2018 at 6:14 pm
Old Jul 2, 2018, 12:43 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Looks like this morning's 0910 SLC-SFO has been rerouted to SJC, and the 1155 SFO-MCI will now be departing from SJC.

Current SFO conditions:

Due to WEATHER / LOW CEILINGS, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving San Francisco International Airport, San Francisco, CA (SFO). This is causing some arriving flights to be delayed an average of 1 hour and 3 minutes.
​​​​​​​https://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/usmap.jsp
Old Jul 2, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by WebTraveler
Don't get me wrong - it is a pain in the bottom. But I like this policy. Plus, because of all of the issues 90% of my flights are Oakland and San Jose anyway. I avoid SFO for this reason.
If 90% of your flights are to OAK and SJC, you really aren't in a great position to criticize those who don't want to be involuntarily rerouted.

I too fly to OAK or SJC when those are realistic alternatives. Usually when I elect to fly to SFO it's because I have a specific reason to fly there. Generally I won't be renting a car. So SJC truly is not a satisfactory alternative. And if AS is going to bus me, I'd rather be bused into the City rather than the SFO

But it's on the departure that these invol reroutes suck. AS doesn't inform you early enough to plan on it. If I'm carless, it's not cheap to get to an alternate airport. Reports mixed on whether AS pays the transport expense, which can as much as the plane fare. It's unlikely I would get to SFO in time to get a bus, and it's not easy to find that info.

When I book to SFO, I recognize it's a delay-prone airport, and I've made the calculation to accept that. If AS has the right to reroute, then let us have free same day changes among all the airports, too
Old Jul 2, 2018, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
Looks like this morning's 0910 SLC-SFO has been rerouted to SJC, and the 1155 SFO-MCI will now be departing from SJC.
FWIW, the morning SLC-SFO does not appear to be a flight one should book if connecting at SFO or heading north of SFO. Just looking at the past four weeks of operations on flightaware, it has been diverted to SJC on nine occasions. Still wonder why this particular flight appears to get diverted more frequently than others?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:21 am

The only thing I have criticized is the constant whining, moaning, and stomping of the feet. This is what it is, and Alaska has made the operational decision to do this so it does not impact the rest of their network. I'd still be wiling to bet that my 10% of SFO flights is still greater than 100% of many other's fights, so I am in a decent position to make conclusions on this route. I've been bused, I have taken BART, I have found my own transportation. Inbound diversions are certainly easier, no doubt.

And if you get on one of these diverted flights, despite your battle cry otherwise, if you call Alaska you will be offered all sorts of alternatives. You can opt out of this change of airport. Unfortunately, it's not clear when normal operations resume, so you may pick a later flight, but may go through this same exercise a few hours later. When I had a departure changed to San Jose, I called and asked for a later flight out of Oakland, and was accomodated. But everything is always on a space basis on that date. So they'll let me fly Oakland if I want rather than San Jose, but if there are no seats, I certainly won't push for that if it can't happen.

Further, despite your rhetoric, if Alaska reroutes the flight, Alaska pays the bus. https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...-from-bay-area Here's the whole scenario. I'd suggest you stop criticizing me when you do not have all the facts. Stating falsly that Alaska does not pay for the bus is just spreading fake news and conspiracy theories.

Originally Posted by seacarl
If 90% of your flights are to OAK and SJC, you really aren't in a great position to criticize those who don't want to be involuntarily rerouted.

I too fly to OAK or SJC when those are realistic alternatives. Usually when I elect to fly to SFO it's because I have a specific reason to fly there. Generally I won't be renting a car. So SJC truly is not a satisfactory alternative. And if AS is going to bus me, I'd rather be bused into the City rather than the SFO

But it's on the departure that these invol reroutes suck. AS doesn't inform you early enough to plan on it. If I'm carless, it's not cheap to get to an alternate airport. Reports mixed on whether AS pays the transport expense, which can as much as the plane fare. It's unlikely I would get to SFO in time to get a bus, and it's not easy to find that info.

When I book to SFO, I recognize it's a delay-prone airport, and I've made the calculation to accept that. If AS has the right to reroute, then let us have free same day changes among all the airports, too
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Further, despite your rhetoric, if Alaska reroutes the flight, Alaska pays the bus. https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...-from-bay-area Here's the whole scenario. I'd suggest you stop criticizing me when you do not have all the facts. Stating falsly that Alaska does not pay for the bus is just spreading fake news and conspiracy theories.
No one is saying that Alaska doesn't pay for (or provide) the bus. The question is does AS pay for alternate transportation other than the bus, in which there is conflicting info out there.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
No one is saying that Alaska doesn't pay for (or provide) the bus. The question is does AS pay for alternate transportation other than the bus, in which there is conflicting info out there.
Really?

SeaCarl just did:
Originally Posted by seacarl
Reports mixed on whether AS pays the transport expense, which can as much as the plane fare.
Alternate transportation. The answer to your question is normally NO. This is why Alaska provides a bus. There may be an isolated, time sensitive, exception, but I have not seen it.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:01 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Really?
Yes, really. The whole post mentions a bus, but the possibility of not making it to SFO in order to catch it; a valid concern if you're heading to another airport anyway. Previous posts also indicate that they were well aware of the AS-provided transportation. So I stick to my previous statement that no one is saying that Alaska doesn't pay for (or provide) a bus, but whether AS will pay for alternate transportation if you miss/can't make/don't want to take it.

To claim others are spewing conspiracy theories or fake news when taken out of context is a bit much for this board.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.