Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska + Singapore Airlines (SQ) Partnership - Earning, Redeeming and Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 30, 2017, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CDKing
Alaska Airlines (AS) partnership with Singapore Airlines (SQ)

Earning

Beginning September 27, 2017.
For earning rates See Partner Page

Eligible flight numbers (No Silkair)

0001–0999

Burning:

Award Charts:
(see note below for definition of "Continental USA", "SE Asia" and "South Pacific" )
SE Asia-SE Asia: 17,500 Y, 25,000 J 35,000 F
North Asia-SE Asia: 22,500 Y 60,000 J, 75,000 F
SE Asia-Middle East/India 25,000 Y 65,000 J 85,000 F
SE Asia-South Pacific 30,000 Y 65,000 J 90,000 F
SE Asia-Europe 42,500 Y 110,00 J 160,000 F
North Asia-Europe 65,000 Y 175,000 J 240,000 F
Middle East-Europe 60,000 Y, 160,000 J 210,000 F
Continental USA-North Asia: 40,000 Y 80,000 J 110,000 F
Continental USA-SE Asia/India: 47,500 Y 100,000 J 130,000 F
Continental USA-South Pacific 70,000 Y 145,000 J 190,000 F

Note: Chart only allows contiguous US and Alaska as "USA", however, AS connecting flights to Hawaii/Canada/Mexico are allowed. No chart for USA-Europe (though in theory you could redeem SIN-USA or USA-SIN routing on SQ onestops involving Europe and get off the plane in FRA/MAN, pretty high price in miles though). Stopover in SIN not allowed on regional awards (Intra-Asia,including South Pacific) not touching US.
"North Asia" includes China (PEK/PVG) as per latest update by AS. South Pacific is Australia/New Zealand
Print Wikipost

Alaska + Singapore Airlines (SQ) Partnership - Earning, Redeeming and Questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2017, 9:12 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
I think AS joining *A is a non-starter. UA is a strong competitor ex-SFO. There's no way I can see, short of a merger (which I hope never happens) that they would be willing to hook up with Alaska.

Originally Posted by evergrn
I am late to the party on this. Just found out via seatpocket magazine on yesterday's flight.

Am rather surprised for two reasons:
1).AS has not had a Star partner in a long time (think SAS was a partner years ago).
2).It seemed to me that AS was headed towards partnerships solely with OneWorld and independents.

This now gives hope to a few of us who secretly hope AS joins Star (or at least gains more and more Star partners).
Old Sep 16, 2017, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by TProphet
I think AS joining *A is a non-starter. UA is a strong competitor ex-SFO. There's no way I can see, short of a merger (which I hope never happens) that they would be willing to hook up with Alaska.
AS joining Star is just a wishful thinking on my part. 95% not happening... would've said 98% until this SQ partnership came about, however. Anyways, AS will just stay independent. They already have a bunch of good partnerships while maintaining the operational flexibility of not being tied to an alliance.

Btw, I don't think that UA on the whole stands out as a huge competitor to AS/Virgin. There are many overlapping routes between UA and AS/Virgin out of SFO, as you say. But then similar things could be said about AA (LAX) and WN (SAN & SEA). Every single one of the big-4 is a significant competitor to AS, although DL stands out by far since they are aggressively vying for a significant piece of the pie at AS' mothership.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
If I can get intra-Asia/Asia-Australia or India J redemptions on midhaul equipment at reasonable rates and SIN stopovers on one ways for redemptions (something like what JL offers) I'll call it good. I'm not optimistic on 77W/A350/A380 J, F or R (Suites) class, but back in the day when UA/CO had reasonable rates on intra-Asia SQ on a 3-5 hour flight for what AS charged for a USA-Mexico Y award was quite nice.

Originally Posted by evergrn
Btw, I don't think that UA on the whole stands out as a huge competitor to AS/Virgin. There are many overlapping routes between UA and AS/Virgin out of SFO, as you say. But then similar things could be said about AA (LAX) and WN (SAN & SEA). Every single one of the big-4 is a significant competitor to AS, although DL stands out by far since they are aggressively vying for a significant piece of the pie at AS' mothership.
AA hardly dominates LAX to the extent UA dominates SFO (LAX is a much more evenly split airport than SFO). WN at SEA... huh? You mean the airport where they've consistently dropped service the last decade (GEG, BOI)?

You probably have a better point in SJC and SAN when it comes to WN- if AS wants significant market share in California, they will need to compete with WN in intra-California service. They have the bones of that right now with significant operations in all major markets (SMF, OAK, SJC, SFO, LAX, BUR, SNA, ONT, SAN), plus places like FAT, STS, SBP, SBA, MMH, but they're going to have to up their game. That means taking on UA in SFO, all the majors in LAX, and WN intra-CA.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Sep 17, 2017 at 10:51 am
Old Sep 19, 2017, 12:26 pm

I know J/F is restricted by SQ when using partner awards....but what's the probability that premium economy would be available via AS award chart?
Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maxp0wers
I know J/F is restricted by SQ when using partner awards....but what's the probability that premium economy would be available via AS award chart?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's allowed on BA/CX/QF/DE, not on JL/KL/AF/AA. I could see it being handy on the shorter USA-fifth freedom flights to FRA/MAN/NRT/ICN, where 8-10 hours in what is essentially domestic F would be OK.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Sep 19, 2017 at 2:29 pm
Old Sep 25, 2017, 10:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Alaska's Instagram has a story of someone trying out SQ Y+. Better be a sign that premium cabins are available for award bookings, AS!
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MonThruThurs
Alaska's Instagram has a story of someone trying out SQ Y+. Better be a sign that premium cabins are available for award bookings, AS!
Is Y+ a premium cabin?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by MonThruThurs
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Is Y+ a premium cabin?
Better than nothing I guess. It depends if AS can make it work, JL award chart allowed Y+ but it failed on implementation so they took it away. Though I really wish they would give a better COS bonus.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 5:21 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The chart of Krisflyer miles required for redemptions on Alaska is out. It costs less to use KF miles to redeem a West Coast-Hawaii flight than using AS miles (11.5 - 12.5k miles):

http://www.singaporeair.com/saar5/pd...s_AwdChart.pdf
Old Sep 27, 2017, 5:25 am

Programs: NH, JL, SQ
AS wheres my SQ award chart??
Old Sep 27, 2017, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by solewalker
The chart of Krisflyer miles required for redemptions on Alaska is out. It costs less to use KF miles to redeem a West Coast-Hawaii flight than using AS miles (11.5 - 12.5k miles):

http://www.singaporeair.com/saar5/pd...s_AwdChart.pdf
Noted this in the SQ forum but weirdly they've completely left out East Coast to Hawaii/Alaska as an option which seems like a strange omission.

It means no SQ redemptions on AS to Hawaii/Alaska for the following routes:

RDU/CHS/IAD/BWI/DCA/JFK/EWR/DTW/PHL/MCO/TPA/ATL (might be missing a couple more) - SEA / SFO / LAX - Hawaii/Alaska

Last edited by Duke787; Sep 27, 2017 at 6:01 am
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by merridius
AS wheres my SQ award chart??
The partners get access to book AS months before AS members can book on partner. Were still waiting for the Finnair award chart too.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: NH, JL, SQ
Originally Posted by CDKing
The partners get access to book AS months before AS members can book on partner. Were still waiting for the Finnair award chart too.
oh... bummer
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Duke787
Noted this in the SQ forum but weirdly they've completely left out East Coast to Hawaii/Alaska as an option which seems like a strange omission.

It means no SQ redemptions on AS to Hawaii/Alaska for the following routes:

RDU/CHS/IAD/BWI/DCA/JFK/EWR/DTW/PHL/MCO/TPA/ATL (might be missing a couple more) - SEA / SFO / LAX - Hawaii/Alaska
No, there *are* redemptions. Just requires two awards. Zone 4 to Zone 1 (12k), then Zone 1 to Zone 5 (another 12k).
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:16 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Calculon
No, there *are* redemptions. Just requires two awards. Zone 4 to Zone 1 (12k), then Zone 1 to Zone 5 (another 12k).
*cough* Or... Zone 4 to Zone 3 (7.5k) then Zone 3 to Zone 5 (12.5k).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.