Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

VX Preferred Seats and Main Cabin Select (MCS) Upgrades Now Available for AS Elites

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dmodemd
Formal announcement from Alaska Airlines:

https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-ai...enefits-on-vx/

...details on how to get them are in the updated FAQ:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...nefit-schedule

1-877-FLY-VIRGIN now goes to Alaska reps. They need to coordinate with an AS team member who has VX systems access to do the work they need. Calling through your MVP priority call line will get you faster pick up.

Call ins are needed for AS booked flights on VX for:

- Making changes and getting change fee waived
- FC Upgrade purchases*

* FAQ says: "You can purchase available First Class upgrades in advance online", but it doesn't work yet for AS booked VX flights.

Online at VirginAmerica.com you can:

- Add yourself to MCS upgrade list (link should show in Manage function)
[WARNING: There is a report of this not actually working... recommend tweet to VX instead]
- Select preferred seating before clearing MCS
- Select MCS seat after clearing at your window (can also do with VX app)

Reports are that Twitter DMs to Virgin America are the fastest way to get assistance.
You may get referred to the VX phone line (which leads to Alaska Air) if your reservation has additional complications that may not be apparent to you.

Companions: If you have any companions on your reservation (regardless of status), you will need to call in your upgrade request when your clearance window opens.
Print Wikipost

VX Preferred Seats and Main Cabin Select (MCS) Upgrades Now Available for AS Elites

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2018, 8:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Have the right seats in row 3 to myself currently on AS1107. Not too bad- room to stretch out. Agree the bulkhead is tight- have row 10 next flight to compare. Row 10 is *empty* too. Others wanted these seats, FA offered for $179 IIRC. No takers.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 8:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by tom911
Did you make the request less than 24 hours before departure? I did that once this year and had the same web site behavior. Didn't ask, and didn't clear, on the outgoing flight, but on the return the gate agent told me I was not on the list, he added me, and I instantly cleared.

edited to add: expect less entertainment options, too
Is the "live" Dish Network news feed gone?
Was initially requested well outside T-24 and within T-24.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Tankerman

I’m really tired of “April 25th, all these problems will go away” talk coming from Alaska customer service reps.

the VX upgrades to MCS has been a huge mess, AS upgrade system isn’t operating as described on their own website.

i think they’re beta testing a new upgrade system and it’s not going to be good for elites.

theyre getting more leisure travelers and don’t want to miss out on any of that money. That’s fine as long as they’re not upset when a good portion of they’re business travelers head to another airline.

when the economy heads south again and the leisure travel business shrinks, AS will be in a bad place.

Penny wise, pound foolish.
I don't know, my picking former MCS seat at booking for 4/28 flight went just fine. Once they are AS flights it wont be any different than Premium is handled now on AS metal. Remember there still using two completely separate reservation systems. VX systems handle the MCS upgrades now not the AS systems (this why you are pushed to VX site for preferred seating)
Old Mar 6, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by CalanMan
The difference is likely a not-insignificant amount of engineering work on a reservation system that hasn't had nonessential active development in a while and is going to be fully retired in 7 weeks. The VX system didn't have F upgrades, and implementing them would pull resources from other integration work that will continue to make a difference two months from now. I would much rather the airline put the resources into getting the currently-finicky AS upgrade processor fixed, and keep it working smoothly for the next however many years it's used, than spend one minute trying to give me free upgrades for my flights next week.
I'm OK with them not implementing comp F upgrades on the VX system. However, why couldn't they?:

1) Be able to offer F buy-up through their web site. Set AS Gold = Elevate Gold and let all other processing work... they enabled for MCS but forgot to enable F upgrade purchase - Easy IT change.
2) Implement a comp F upgrade at the gate, old style. Don't the gate agents have any visibility into a list of passengers with status? Can they just manually work down the tiers and hand out upgrades? (whisper: it's OK if they have to make arbitrary picks within an elite level - better than nothing.) - Pure policy change, no IT needed.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 4:33 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K, Hyatt Gl, Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by dmodemd
I'm OK with them not implementing comp F upgrades on the VX system. However, why couldn't they?:

1) Be able to offer F buy-up through their web site. Set AS Gold = Elevate Gold and let all other processing work... they enabled for MCS but forgot to enable F upgrade purchase - Easy IT change.
2) Implement a comp F upgrade at the gate, old style. Don't the gate agents have any visibility into a list of passengers with status? Can they just manually work down the tiers and hand out upgrades? (whisper: it's OK if they have to make arbitrary picks within an elite level - better than nothing.) - Pure policy change, no IT needed.
On #1 , I totally agree with you. Why they didn't match status both ways completely escapes me. Marriott did it this way with MR <-> SPG, and although I still use my SPG account way more than my MR one, I never grouse that Marriott Platinums have something that I don't have, because I am myself now a Marriott Platinum. Yes, I realize that the situation is reversed here regarding who is acquiring whom, but the point stands. I wouldn't be surprised if this might've actually been less engineering work to do this, rather than adding AS MP benefits to the VX system at all.

As an aside, I'm under the impression that AS elites do actually have access to the VX upgrade window during OLCI, but only when booking directly with VX, not when booking with Alaska as a codeshare. (Since codeshared bookings never had the ability to upgrade in advance on VX's previous partners.) I didn't have a problem accessing a paid upgrade in my window when I went to the airport in person, but I'm not going to even entertain the idea that that's a reasonable solution for anyone who doesn't pass by the airport each way on their daily commute and enjoys stopping by to watch the planes sometimes like I do. So, yeah, some workarounds, but still a lame situation.

On #2 , I think that that is a terrible idea. Sure, from a dispassionate point of view on a hypothetical flight, it's better to give some elites something rather than none anything, but I can't imagine the ire that'll be unleashed when someone feels that they should be next on the unofficial, nonexistent list, and the agent picks someone else. Explicit upgrade lists can get contentious when it's a system they supposedly can't override. Making it a gate agent's arbitrary call is just asking for them to face verbal abuse. Imagine an agent saying to an irate, stressed out, do-you-know-how-much-money-I've-spent-with-your-airline customer "Isn't it better that we gave the upgrade to someone, even if it wasn't you?" A terrible experience for the customer, the agent, and (if they're present) the customer who got the upgrade. And what happens when one agent says they'll do one thing and then another does something else? Both completely adhering to the policy. Yeah, no.
milypan, CDKing and DrAlex like this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
As an aside, I'm under the impression that AS elites do actually have access to the VX upgrade window during OLCI, but only when booking directly with VX, not when booking with Alaska as a codeshare. (Since codeshared bookings never had the ability to upgrade in advance on VX's previous partners.)
This! The only people who get *online* buy-up offers into VX F are those who bought their tickets at VXcom. It has always been that way.

AS elites who buy at AScom or anywhere else can call at the corresponding VX upgrade window (e.g. D-24 for 75ks and Golds) and buy up into F on the phone, taking advantage of the exclusive window and not having to wait until the airport.

This was easy as could be a year ago; may be harder now that the phones are answered by AS agents who aren't used to VX nuances.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
This! The only people who get *online* buy-up offers into VX F are those who bought their tickets at VXcom. It has always been that way.

AS elites who buy at AScom or anywhere else can call at the corresponding VX upgrade window (e.g. D-24 for 75ks and Golds) and buy up into F on the phone, taking advantage of the exclusive window and not having to wait until the airport.

This was easy as could be a year ago; may be harder now that the phones are answered by AS agents who aren't used to VX nuances.
Not entirely true. I have a few datapoints in the past week where I've purchased from ExploreTrip, and I've seen both upgrade offers for MCS and First at check-in. I'm not sure if this is anything new, or simply the way that the OTA pushes the ticket to VX, but in any event the tickets were definitely not purchased on VX.com yet showed the offer.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 6:27 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by CalanMan
On #2 , I think that that is a terrible idea. Sure, from a dispassionate point of view on a hypothetical flight, it's better to give some elites something rather than none anything, but I can't imagine the ire that'll be unleashed when someone feels that they should be next on the unofficial, nonexistent list, and the agent picks someone else. Explicit upgrade lists can get contentious when it's a system they supposedly can't override. Making it a gate agent's arbitrary call is just asking for them to face verbal abuse. Imagine an agent saying to an irate, stressed out, do-you-know-how-much-money-I've-spent-with-your-airline customer "Isn't it better that we gave the upgrade to someone, even if it wasn't you?" A terrible experience for the customer, the agent, and (if they're present) the customer who got the upgrade. And what happens when one agent says they'll do one thing and then another does something else? Both completely adhering to the policy. Yeah, no.
How did we survive in a world before comp upgrades? In the "old" days that I remember, every comp upgrade was an op-up and handed out willy-nilly (I got a few myself or with coupons sent to me in the mail pre FF program days). That's why some of these online articles are still touting the old "just ask" approach. Also, most people don't notice who is getting upgraded and why, it is just a quiet passing of a BP across the counter. Also, how does a complainer know they are more entitled than the one who got an upgrade? We all wonder now with watching the upgrade list and all its quirks.
Old May 31, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
post April 25, is there still "main cabin select"? I know it is called "premium" by AS but are you able to still get food and drinks free?
Old May 31, 2018, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
There are reports of stragglers, but I wouldn't count on it (and I'm going to ask that this thread be closed because MCS is deader than a Norwegian Blue).

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...-aircraft.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.