FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   VX Preferred Seats and Main Cabin Select (MCS) Upgrades Now Available for AS Elites (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1859488-vx-preferred-seats-main-cabin-select-mcs-upgrades-now-available-elites.html)

LasVegasBuck Aug 7, 2017 5:48 pm

VX Preferred Seats and Main Cabin Select (MCS) Upgrades Now Available for AS Elites

First time on VX with an Alaska ticket. I know that VX golds can upgrade to First w/in 24 hours of flight and silvers can upgrade w/in 12 hours, all others at T-6 hours.

What is the timeframe to upgrade into VX first for Alaska elites?

rustykettel Aug 7, 2017 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by LasVegasBuck (Post 28660377)
First time on VX with an Alaska ticket. I know that VX golds can upgrade to First w/in 24 hours of flight and silvers can upgrade w/in 12 hours, all others at T-6 hours.

What is the timeframe to upgrade into VX first for Alaska elites?

T-6. There are limited elite benefits for AS elite on VX at the present time.:(

ETA: timeline for benefits, "Summer 2017" for preferred seating/MCS upgrades/advance F upgrade purchase. Nothing more definitive yet. https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...-schedule.aspx

dayone Aug 7, 2017 6:23 pm

Others will disagree, but if you can pay for an MCS upgrade and get an open middle seat, the experience rivals F, at a more reasonable price.

Baze Aug 7, 2017 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by dayone (Post 28660497)
Others will disagree, but if you can pay for an MCS upgrade and get an open middle seat, the experience rivals F, at a more reasonable price.

The F experience in a coach seat.

dayone Aug 7, 2017 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Baze (Post 28660664)
The F experience in a coach seat.

^

LaneW Aug 10, 2017 3:16 am

The VX elites were given all of the benefits that loyal AS elites get - but we get nothing on VX. Pretty offensive

gtslow Aug 10, 2017 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by LaneW (Post 28671269)
The VX elites were given all of the benefits that loyal AS elites get - but we get nothing on VX. Pretty offensive

Agreed. Alaska is taking their PNW elites for granted and hoping to convert some LAX/SFO regulars. My most recent VX experience sucked. I'll be happy to see them dead.

Erik Jacobsen Aug 10, 2017 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by gtslow (Post 28674348)
My most recent VX experience sucked. I'll be happy to see them dead.

Same! I wrote about my first/second/third VX experiences as an AS 75k over in their forum here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgi...trying-vx.html

I think what was most offensive to me was having my luggage removed from the first class bins (I was flying full fare first) and relocated to row 8 in Main Cabin... to make room for a "valued Elevate Silver member". (I would add, when I went to the SFO VX "Service Center" to politely complain about that, I was told "We understand that would be frustrating and we would welcome you to consider booking with another airline.")

I just accidentally made B6 Mosaic in addition to my AS 75k and my AA EXPLT... Given my experiences on VX metal, I may just shift all my non-AA loyalty next year to B5. Not as many flights to Seattle, but the Mint hard product... *swoons*

Kieron Aug 10, 2017 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by Erik Jacobsen (Post 28674985)
I just accidentally made B5 Mosaic [...] I may just shift all my non-AA loyalty next year to B5. Not as many flights to Seattle

It's true, B5 has a definite lack of Seattle service. :p

(JetBlue is B6.)

dayone Aug 10, 2017 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by Erik Jacobsen (Post 28674985)
I just accidentally made B5 Mosaic

FT is rife with specialized jargon and inside jokes, so maybe B5 is just over my head. To me, B6 is JetBlue.

LaneW Aug 10, 2017 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by gtslow (Post 28674348)
Agreed. Alaska is taking their PNW elites for granted and hoping to convert some LAX/SFO regulars. My most recent VX experience sucked. I'll be happy to see them dead.

I have been a totally committed AS fan for years, and 75K flyer for at least the last five years. The airline that I have happily supported for years, and that has also supported me, has crapped on me and the rest of their loyal customers to turn themselves inside out to cater to the VX imports who are apparently more important. Insulting.

I fly out of GEG and now Delta has enough presence that I have asked for a status match with them. Done with the Eskimo.

gtslow Aug 11, 2017 10:39 am

Originally Posted by LaneW (Post 28675280)
I have been a totally committed AS fan for years, and 75K flyer for at least the last five years. The airline that I have happily supported for years, and that has also supported me, has crapped on me and the rest of their loyal customers to turn themselves inside out to cater to the VX imports who are apparently more important. Insulting.

I fly out of GEG and now Delta has enough presence that I have asked for a status match with them. Done with the Eskimo.

I already status matched from United to Delta a few years ago so I doubt they would let me status match back again from Alaska.

milypan Aug 11, 2017 11:23 am

Originally Posted by gtslow (Post 28677350)
I already status matched from United to Delta a few years ago so I doubt they would let me status match back again from Alaska.

From DL's website:

You are eligible to participate in our Status Match Challenge if you meet ALL of the following critieria:
  • You have not received a Status Match or complimentary Medallion Status in the past three years...

You'd probably qualify, depending on your definition of "a few".

SkyBeaver Aug 15, 2017 10:46 pm

My experience as an Alaska MVP Gold 75k flying on Virgin America has also been truly dreadful. They are are an awful airline. I will be delighted to see the Virgin America brand die.

ptownca Aug 15, 2017 11:36 pm

I have a different experience. As a VX Silver and Gold for four years now, VX pre AS merger was the best domestic airline in NA and I have flown them all. > 300 flights and never an issue. Zero cancels, zero lost bags, experiencing the best flight attendants in > 35 years of international travel, mostly in J or F.

If the current VX experience is not good, it's all on Alaska's management. They own VX now.

Luckily, I am heading to BOS and will enjoy B6, which is superior to AS in every way and Mint, which is sublime.

VX brought fun back to flying. I would never consider AS fun.