Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

VX Preferred Seats and Main Cabin Select (MCS) Upgrades Now Available for AS Elites

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dmodemd
Formal announcement from Alaska Airlines:

https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-ai...enefits-on-vx/

...details on how to get them are in the updated FAQ:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...nefit-schedule

1-877-FLY-VIRGIN now goes to Alaska reps. They need to coordinate with an AS team member who has VX systems access to do the work they need. Calling through your MVP priority call line will get you faster pick up.

Call ins are needed for AS booked flights on VX for:

- Making changes and getting change fee waived
- FC Upgrade purchases*

* FAQ says: "You can purchase available First Class upgrades in advance online", but it doesn't work yet for AS booked VX flights.

Online at VirginAmerica.com you can:

- Add yourself to MCS upgrade list (link should show in Manage function)
[WARNING: There is a report of this not actually working... recommend tweet to VX instead]
- Select preferred seating before clearing MCS
- Select MCS seat after clearing at your window (can also do with VX app)

Reports are that Twitter DMs to Virgin America are the fastest way to get assistance.
You may get referred to the VX phone line (which leads to Alaska Air) if your reservation has additional complications that may not be apparent to you.

Companions: If you have any companions on your reservation (regardless of status), you will need to call in your upgrade request when your clearance window opens.
Print Wikipost

VX Preferred Seats and Main Cabin Select (MCS) Upgrades Now Available for AS Elites

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2017, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; Marriott Gold ; Hilton Gold

First time on VX with an Alaska ticket. I know that VX golds can upgrade to First w/in 24 hours of flight and silvers can upgrade w/in 12 hours, all others at T-6 hours.

What is the timeframe to upgrade into VX first for Alaska elites?
Old Aug 7, 2017, 5:59 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by LasVegasBuck
First time on VX with an Alaska ticket. I know that VX golds can upgrade to First w/in 24 hours of flight and silvers can upgrade w/in 12 hours, all others at T-6 hours.

What is the timeframe to upgrade into VX first for Alaska elites?
T-6. There are limited elite benefits for AS elite on VX at the present time.

ETA: timeline for benefits, "Summer 2017" for preferred seating/MCS upgrades/advance F upgrade purchase. Nothing more definitive yet. https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...-schedule.aspx
Old Aug 7, 2017, 6:23 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Others will disagree, but if you can pay for an MCS upgrade and get an open middle seat, the experience rivals F, at a more reasonable price.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dayone
Others will disagree, but if you can pay for an MCS upgrade and get an open middle seat, the experience rivals F, at a more reasonable price.
The F experience in a coach seat.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Baze
The F experience in a coach seat.
^
Old Aug 10, 2017, 3:16 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, DL Gold, Hilton Gold
The VX elites were given all of the benefits that loyal AS elites get - but we get nothing on VX. Pretty offensive
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: United, Marriott
Originally Posted by LaneW
The VX elites were given all of the benefits that loyal AS elites get - but we get nothing on VX. Pretty offensive
Agreed. Alaska is taking their PNW elites for granted and hoping to convert some LAX/SFO regulars. My most recent VX experience sucked. I'll be happy to see them dead.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXPLT; AS 75k; B6 Mosaic; UA Gold; Hyatt Diamond; Marriott/SPG Platinum; Hilton Gold; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gtslow
My most recent VX experience sucked. I'll be happy to see them dead.
Same! I wrote about my first/second/third VX experiences as an AS 75k over in their forum here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgi...trying-vx.html

I think what was most offensive to me was having my luggage removed from the first class bins (I was flying full fare first) and relocated to row 8 in Main Cabin... to make room for a "valued Elevate Silver member". (I would add, when I went to the SFO VX "Service Center" to politely complain about that, I was told "We understand that would be frustrating and we would welcome you to consider booking with another airline.")

I just accidentally made B6 Mosaic in addition to my AS 75k and my AA EXPLT... Given my experiences on VX metal, I may just shift all my non-AA loyalty next year to B5. Not as many flights to Seattle, but the Mint hard product... *swoons*
HomerJay likes this.

Last edited by Erik Jacobsen; Aug 25, 2017 at 3:58 pm Reason: BEcause I always typo Jet Blue as B5 instead of B6... =P
Old Aug 10, 2017, 10:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Erik Jacobsen
I just accidentally made B5 Mosaic [...] I may just shift all my non-AA loyalty next year to B5. Not as many flights to Seattle
It's true, B5 has a definite lack of Seattle service.

(JetBlue is B6.)
beckoa likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by Erik Jacobsen
I just accidentally made B5 Mosaic
FT is rife with specialized jargon and inside jokes, so maybe B5 is just over my head. To me, B6 is JetBlue.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 11:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, DL Gold, Hilton Gold
Agreed. Alaska is taking their PNW elites for granted and hoping to convert some LAX/SFO regulars. My most recent VX experience sucked. I'll be happy to see them dead.
I have been a totally committed AS fan for years, and 75K flyer for at least the last five years. The airline that I have happily supported for years, and that has also supported me, has crapped on me and the rest of their loyal customers to turn themselves inside out to cater to the VX imports who are apparently more important. Insulting.

I fly out of GEG and now Delta has enough presence that I have asked for a status match with them. Done with the Eskimo.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: United, Marriott
Originally Posted by LaneW
I have been a totally committed AS fan for years, and 75K flyer for at least the last five years. The airline that I have happily supported for years, and that has also supported me, has crapped on me and the rest of their loyal customers to turn themselves inside out to cater to the VX imports who are apparently more important. Insulting.

I fly out of GEG and now Delta has enough presence that I have asked for a status match with them. Done with the Eskimo.
I already status matched from United to Delta a few years ago so I doubt they would let me status match back again from Alaska.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
I already status matched from United to Delta a few years ago so I doubt they would let me status match back again from Alaska.
From DL's website:

You are eligible to participate in our Status Match Challenge if you meet ALL of the following critieria:
  • You have not received a Status Match or complimentary Medallion Status in the past three years...
You'd probably qualify, depending on your definition of "a few".
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:46 pm

Programs: Delta Million Miler, Hilton Diamond VIP, Starwood Platinum, Alaska Gold 75K
My experience as an Alaska MVP Gold 75k flying on Virgin America has also been truly dreadful. They are are an awful airline. I will be delighted to see the Virgin America brand die.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:36 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
I have a different experience. As a VX Silver and Gold for four years now, VX pre AS merger was the best domestic airline in NA and I have flown them all. > 300 flights and never an issue. Zero cancels, zero lost bags, experiencing the best flight attendants in > 35 years of international travel, mostly in J or F.

If the current VX experience is not good, it's all on Alaska's management. They own VX now.

Luckily, I am heading to BOS and will enjoy B6, which is superior to AS in every way and Mint, which is sublime.

VX brought fun back to flying. I would never consider AS fun.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.