Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2018, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by sinecure
Do 2 F ever open up, or is J the best we can hope for?
We can book up to 330 days as we have a pretty good idea of when we want to go.

Would prefer from YVR, but can make ourselves in any west coast city.

Thanks.
Routinely. But if you’re looking for 2 simultaneously it’ll be inside of 14 days. I’ve booked 5 in F. But 2-5 were all within 10 days or so prior to departure, and even then, one at a time. So just book the single F at 330 and then chill until 2 weeks out.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 10:47 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jamienbaker

Routinely. But if you’re looking for 2 simultaneously it’ll be inside of 14 days. I’ve booked 5 in F. But 2-5 were all within 10 days or so prior to departure, and even then, one at a time. So just book the single F at 330 and then chill until 2 weeks out.
I did 2 J awards HKG-BOS booked about 3 months out. At T-11 days one F opened up which I upgraded to. No other F seats opened up and we departed with three empty F so it isn't a sure thing that space will open last minute.

Our flight was pretty light with quite a few J open. It doesn't make much sense from a revenue management perspective to open F space where there is a higher cost outlay per passenger when there are open J seats. Now if J was full CX might be more likely open F to potentially vacate a J seat that would be easier to sell than an F seat.

James
Old Jun 29, 2018, 2:50 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I did 2 J awards HKG-BOS booked about 3 months out. At T-11 days one F opened up which I upgraded to. No other F seats opened up and we departed with three empty F so it isn't a sure thing that space will open last minute.

Our flight was pretty light with quite a few J open. It doesn't make much sense from a revenue management perspective to open F space where there is a higher cost outlay per passenger when there are open J seats. Now if J was full CX might be more likely open F to potentially vacate a J seat that would be easier to sell than an F seat.

James
Thats why I said “routinely” and not “consistently” or “without fail”. Must have been frustrating. Are you certain nothing was released that was bookable with other currencies, such as American? It’s well documented that Alaska doesn’t always see what’s broadly been made available to partners. My last trip, CX released 3 F but Alaska could only see two. So for the third I had to fund with American.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 4:15 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jamienbaker

Thats why I said “routinely” and not “consistently” or “without fail”. Must have been frustrating. Are you certain nothing was released that was bookable with other currencies, such as American? It’s well documented that Alaska doesn’t always see what’s broadly been made available to partners. My last trip, CX released 3 F but Alaska could only see two. So for the third I had to fund with American.
I even confirmed at check-in and was told no upgrade space available by CX. Interestingly the three days before and the 3 days after my flight had wide-open F. This was in February on JNB-HKG//HKG-BOS after a Safari in the Kruger.

For me, I have had 100% success in booking CX awards with AS when using QF to check availability and giving AS specific flight numbers. It has never been off by one. I have booked 6 CX itineraries in the last 8 months. I had a CX MEL-HKG booked for a while and recently called to add HKG-LAX after a 2 month stopover. AS saw what I saw and added it to my itinerary within 10 minutes. I am doing DFW-SYD on a QF F Award then doing a RTW mileage run starting in ICN on KE, QF, LA, EK & CX, 8 flights, 3 Y, 5 J. I will return to NA on FJ. Two months later I will take that return to Australia and work my way back to HKG to pick up my CX F home. Fun way to requlify for MVPG75K.

James
tobikosan likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Is it just me or is everyone else noticing less J space for March 2019 compared to a year ago for March 2018?

In early July 2017, I found abundant availability in J for JFK-YVR-HKG-CGK as well as JFK-HKG nonstop departing late March 2018. Also peeked LAX-HKG and SFO-HKG for the same time frame -- both routes had abundant availability as well.

In late May 2018, when I was ready to book my West Coast USA-HKG CX flight departing between 22-29 March 2019, there were no J award seats left for LAX-HKG. I resorted to SFO-HKG and the earliest date available was 26 March. JFK/YVR-HKG still had lots of availability a month ago. Now SFO-HKG, YVR-HKG and JFK-HKG J space are almost dried up.

Is LAX-HKG space much harder to get these days?
Old Jun 30, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Interesting experience with my upcoming J reservation: checked the res on my phone last night and got a schedule change message, so before I called AS this morning I checked on the CX site, and they'd switched my TPE-HKG segment to a KA flight. I was wondering if this would even work out once AS had to reticket, and then I spent twenty minutes on hold with AS to be told that CX would have to reissue the ticket. I'm probably going to just call back in and switch to a CX flight leaving a little earlier just to minimize the hassle.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hightide
Is it just me or is everyone else noticing less J space for March 2019 compared to a year ago for March 2018?

In early July 2017, I found abundant availability in J for JFK-YVR-HKG-CGK as well as JFK-HKG nonstop departing late March 2018. Also peeked LAX-HKG and SFO-HKG for the same time frame -- both routes had abundant availability as well.

In late May 2018, when I was ready to book my West Coast USA-HKG CX flight departing between 22-29 March 2019, there were no J award seats left for LAX-HKG. I resorted to SFO-HKG and the earliest date available was 26 March. JFK/YVR-HKG still had lots of availability a month ago. Now SFO-HKG, YVR-HKG and JFK-HKG J space are almost dried up.

Is LAX-HKG space much harder to get these days?
You might have missed the latest Asia Miles restructuring (devaluation) effective June 22nd and the CX IT mess in reloading award inventories to both Asia Miles and to partners.

As of now, for partners it seems only close in departures have availability in premium cabins. Between one to 11 months out, there are only Y and Prem Econ available with sporadic 1F here and there, but J is completely absent between the US-HKG routes, and the EU-HKG routes. When and IF they would return, is anybody's guess.
hightide likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 5:40 pm

CX is still not reliably releasing seats to partners. An example is HKG to JFK for March 31, 2019.

ExpertFlyer shows this:

EF showing CX flight availability for 3/31/19

As you can see EF shows CX830 and CX846 as having F6, which should mean that CX is likely to have at least one standard award on each of those two flights

AsiaMiles confirming standard awards available for CX830 and CX846, confirming the F6 from EF on those flights

Now, when we search QF, this shows up:

qantas showing no F for CX830 and CX846

Hopefully this resolves itself positively for the OW (and AS) partners
Old Jun 30, 2018, 8:42 pm

Is a CX/AS award possible starting from HAN? When I try to start an award from HAN on with the Qantas search engine it gives me an error that this isn't possible.
I've never been able to get the BA search tool to work.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is a CX/AS award possible starting from HAN? When I try to start an award from HAN on with the Qantas search engine it gives me an error that this isn't possible.
isnt han all ka now?
You can prob get that short hop separately with avios if so...
Old Jul 1, 2018, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, because AS can only redeem on CX metal therefore KA metal is totally out. As more and more intra-Asia flights are operated by KA metals now, this makes the AS CX redemption effectively more expensive due to the fact you need another ticket to fly to your destination in Asia if the last segment is not served by CX.

Avios can help in this situation but it still means higher total cost.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 2:44 pm

I was indeed unaware of the Asia miles devaluation and problems reloading J inventory between EU/US-HKG. Thanks for the heads up!
Old Jul 2, 2018, 5:44 am

Funny -- SFO-HKG or SFO-HKG-CGK shows no space on CX873 departing 25 March. However, SFO-HKG-SIN/BKK shows 1J.

I have booked SFO-HKG-CGK on AS miles for another date but would prefer 25 March. If I change my booking to 25 March SFO-HKG-SIN and then change HKG-SIN to HKG-CGK (this one has space in J), would it work out? I booked back in May... do I only get one change or am I allowed multiple changes without penalty?
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by hightide
Funny -- SFO-HKG or SFO-HKG-CGK shows no space on CX873 departing 25 March. However, SFO-HKG-SIN/BKK shows 1J.

I have booked SFO-HKG-CGK on AS miles for another date but would prefer 25 March. If I change my booking to 25 March SFO-HKG-SIN and then change HKG-SIN to HKG-CGK (this one has space in J), would it work out? I booked back in May... do I only get one change or am I allowed multiple changes without penalty?
You get one change 60+ days out if you booked back in May since once reissued new fare rules apply.

Sometimes if you do a through search you get false positives. Make sure you look segment by segment and see if the space is really available.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: alaska
what search tool did you find the J space availability on? BA? Qantas?

Last edited by wolfmiles; Jul 3, 2018 at 9:29 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.