Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Orwaid
Hi -

isn't there something in the FT rules about promoting blog sites ...
No sweat if mod wants to remove, I just figured I'd answer the OP's question regarding where to stay. I'm too lazy to type out a lengthy reply. And the pictures of me are pretty unflattering, anyway
Old Oct 4, 2017, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
No sweat if mod wants to remove, I just figured I'd answer the OP's question regarding where to stay. I'm too lazy to type out a lengthy reply. And the pictures of me are pretty unflattering, anyway
^ Nice to flesh-out a tad one of the great contributors to this thread.
jamienbaker, ralphs and flatdawgs like this.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 8:39 pm

Any updates on when VX can be combined with CX on an award? Last update in the wiki was from July, and I would love to snag an EWR-SFO-HKG award for December
Old Oct 4, 2017, 8:43 pm

Alternatively if VX is still not an option is routing EWR-PDX-SFO-HKG with the first two flights on AK metal a possibility, or is that considered too roundabout a route?

Yes I'm aware there are many NYC-HKG direct flights that would be much faster and more pleasant, as per usual when things don't make sense like this it's because a girl is involved
Old Oct 4, 2017, 8:44 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by metzgersdog26
Any updates on when VX can be combined with CX on an award? Last update in the wiki was from July, and I would love to snag an EWR-SFO-HKG award for December
No word from AS yet, and I wouldn't expect it until AS and VX are on a combined operating certificate at the earliest. In the meantime, why not redeem for EWR-HKG direct?

EDIT: Aha. I know something like PDX-EWR-SFO wouldn't be allowed because it's backtracking, but I don't imagine they'd have a problem with you booking EWR-PDX-SFO-HKG.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:03 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Oh Alaska! Just booked ORD-HKG in Z (two seats available on BA and AS could see them), stopover, then HKG-SIN in U. On a day when BA shows 2 or more U seats on 6 flights, Alaska can see ... drumroll ... none! A day later, when BA shows 2+ seats on 4 flights, Alaska can see availability on every one of the 4 flights.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 7:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by jpdx
Oh Alaska! Just booked ORD-HKG in Z (two seats available on BA and AS could see them), stopover, then HKG-SIN in U. On a day when BA shows 2 or more U seats on 6 flights, Alaska can see ... drumroll ... none! A day later, when BA shows 2+ seats on 4 flights, Alaska can see availability on every one of the 4 flights.
how many days out is this?
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by metzgersdog26
Technically the answer is never. It wont be eligible route until it becomes an Alaska flight.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:58 pm

Booked CX from JFK-YVR for late May in F, 35K miles + $18.10. Will be my first time trying CX F. I tried searching on BA, but the site has been borked for me the whole day, so I searched on QF, and AS had no problem seeing the same availability when I gave them the exact date & flight details.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 12:27 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond SPG-Platinum Hyatt-Platinum United-Gold Alaska-MVP Gold Southwest-A List Preferred
CX in J for 4- I think I hit the lotto

I've been watching for CX availability in J for 4 people to open around my daughters holiday schedule. I've been told that if there are cancellations, it'll repopulate in availability. I check every couple of days and nothing. I checked today on BA & Qantas. BA was showing nothing, Qantas was showing 4 on one day in March. I called AS reservations and it took a while, but the lady found what I found and was able to book it JFK-HKG(nonstop).
dkerr likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by CDKing
Technically the answer is never. It wont be eligible route until it becomes an Alaska flight.
Appears this has now happened for VX flights after April.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 6:07 am

Please kindly help...
is it possible to book the following route from HKG to see the aurora and then off to southeast coast?

HKG-LAX/SFO->PDX->ANC->FAI (Stopover) -> SEA -> ATL/FLL???
Old Oct 8, 2017, 7:39 am

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by shek3112
Please kindly help...
is it possible to book the following route from HKG to see the aurora and then off to southeast coast?

Base on my experience, you can only do a stopover at a hub (except AA). That means you can do HKG-LAX/SFO-ANC(stopover)-SEA-ATL/FLL, but not at FAI.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by shek3112
Please kindly help...

Originally Posted by Jma12
Base on my experience, you can only do a stopover at a hub (except AA). That means you can do HKG-LAX/SFO-ANC(stopover)-SEA-ATL/FLL, but not at FAI.
No. AS does not allow stop-over in Alaska to get to the east coast. Technically CX awards the only stop-over place is HKG but you can sometimes get one at the Intl gateway city.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 8:22 am

Datapoint -

Two J HKGDPS awards popped up on BA overnight for Aug travel. AS could see them so I grabbed them. Subsequently refunded the 2 Y awards I had made with Avios when AS couldn’t see those (miles returned, cash not since taxes were below he $55 BA threshold. I care more about the 25K UR points I transferred, but it was still good insurance).

Anyhow, I recall reading anecdotal reports that AS has particular trouble book Y on this route, but J inventory typically syncs with BA (I know have the family of four booked, all with AS).

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.