Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2018, 2:47 am

Hi -

Yes.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 4:00 am

Programs: CX Silver
Trying to find J award for about 5/24-28 but looking at BA sites, I only see one day with J availability from now till end of May. Is it that difficult to get a J seat these days on CX?
I looked at EF, most flights are pretty open in J. But I only see PEY availability. thoughts?
Old Apr 19, 2018, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Is a HKG-JFK/BOS-SEA award technically not bookable since it violates the rules of going in the right direction?

I have been able to book one of these before but the last agent i spoke to said I needed to purchase seperate awards if I wanted to go from JFK-SEA. Is that correct?
No idea how you ever got one booked in the first place. People have trouble just getting an award involving co-terminals in the bay area.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by cxlabase
Trying to find J award for about 5/24-28 but looking at BA sites, I only see one day with J availability from now till end of May. Is it that difficult to get a J seat these days on CX?
I looked at EF, most flights are pretty open in J. But I only see PEY availability. thoughts?
Not reasonable to expect much availability between the well-documented CX booking windows. Broadly speaking, premium awards need to be claimed by 300 days before departure, or inside of 14 days.

Jamie
percysmith and BeeNYC like this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, American
Is a HKG-JFK/BOS-SEA award technically not bookable since it violates the rules of going in the right direction?

I have been able to book one of these before but the last agent i spoke to said I needed to purchase seperate awards if I wanted to go from JFK-SEA. Is that correct?
Yes, it's what they've told me every time I tried.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 11:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by CDKing
No idea how you ever got one booked in the first place. People have trouble just getting an award involving co-terminals in the bay area.
It was last year roughly this time. I arrived in Kennedy at night, overnighted, and then took the 7 AM departure back to Seattle the next day. Don’t know how the agent overlooked it.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 12:21 am

Programs: UA, AS
The website will book JL TYO-JFK-SEA. I don't see this as significantly different from a CX HKG-JFK-SEA regarding backtracking so I would push to try to book it based on that.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 1:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
The website will book JL TYO-JFK-SEA. I don't see this as significantly different from a CX HKG-JFK-SEA regarding backtracking so I would push to try to book it based on that.
The website allows some more fluid itineraries. I'd recommend not pushing for the CX routing via JFK based off this...
Old Apr 21, 2018, 2:02 am

The website will allow for some very.... interesting routings I guess I would say. If you know what I’m talking about PM me as I’d like to ask some questions to people regarding Emirates awards.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
If website prices it, call it a day and have fun flying. Enjoy it while it lasts.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by CDKing
If website prices it, call it a day and have fun flying. Enjoy it while it lasts.
The website won't price CX awards. You would have to call in but I think I what bekoa is implying is that if we want to keep the existing flexibility best not to push it on a call.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 2:59 am

FWIW, I have redeemed a large amount of Cathay Pacific first class awards over the years. Probably over 25 flights. I took Cathay, Hong Kong to LAX about a month ago, and maybe it’s just me, but it seems like Cathay F is going downhill. The service seemed watered down. The employees seemed like they were just going through the motions. I can’t help but wonder if the mileage hoarding, buying with bonuses through AS etc etc... And then people redeeming them on CX has made the product not as great. Not to mention CX is not really actively investing in their F class. In fact aren’t there rumors they will get rid of F?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
FWIW, I have redeemed a large amount of Cathay Pacific first class awards over the years. Probably over 25 flights. I took Cathay, Hong Kong to LAX about a month ago, and maybe it’s just me, but it seems like Cathay F is going downhill. The service seemed watered down. The employees seemed like they were just going through the motions. I can’t help but wonder if the mileage hoarding, buying with bonuses through AS etc etc... And then people redeeming them on CX has made the product not as great. Not to mention CX is not really actively investing in their F class. In fact aren’t there rumors they will get rid of F?
It's really not about you or anyone redeeming awards. CX is just consistently losing money. It wasn't losing money when it was flying 9F 747s a few years ago that had much better award availability (for AS and other partners).

https://skift.com/2016/08/17/cathay-...ging-strategy/

Cathay Pacific sees first annual loss in eight years - BBC News

https://endauanalytics.wordpress.com...o-john-slosar/
Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:12 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
It's really not about you or anyone redeeming awards. CX is just consistently losing money. It wasn't losing money when it was flying 9F 747s a few years ago that had much better award availability (for AS and other partners).
Seems to me a luxury they can afford back then, not a cause of their success back then.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by percysmith
Seems to me a luxury they can afford back then, not a cause of their success back then.
Saying that CX partner award existence is correlated with both good times and bad times for their profits does not imply the awards are a causation of the same. It's offered as a rebuttal to "CX F is worse these days because people can actually get partner awards".

IAG (BA's owners) are consistently profitable.

https://news.sky.com/story/iag-profi...n-may-10964858

BA also has reasonable award availability to partners, and has made recent hard product investments in F.

SQ had problems with profits over that time frame.

https://news.sky.com/story/iag-profi...n-may-10964858

SQ is notorious for rotten partner availability. They also regularly do hard product investments in F.

My argument is that it's far more likely service cutbacks in any class of service have to do with things that have absolutely nothing to do with whether or not you can spend 70,000 Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles to fly in Cathay Pacific first class. Such as Cathay consistently losing money on fuel hedges (and having to make it up elsewhere), and the competitive environment they fly in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.