Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines and Finnair announce frequent flyer partnership

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines and Finnair announce frequent flyer partnership

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2017, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by CIVET FIVE
So has anyone flown yet on an AY-coded BA WT+ ticket? I have a full-fare W class (booked that way because corporate TA), which AS thinks is only a 25% earner on AY, while I would obviously prefer to earn at 150% as its BA metal.

This sounds like an instance of saving the BP and send in for retroactive credit
AY chart would only apply to AY operated. Should be fine on the BA chart but keep the boarding pass.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 6:21 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
I wonder if they will have reciprocal benefits with MVPG in the future. I loved the AY lounge in HEL.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA, BD, SPG, Hilton
Just had to manually submit and they flat out rejected crediting the AY-coded BA flight in WT+ as the AY flight number is "outside the scope" of what earns mileage. Seems wrong to me, guessing I need to appeal but now wondering if there's a better way to address this - had thought the metal is what would matter
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Just had to manually submit and they flat out rejected crediting the AY-coded BA flight in WT+ as the AY flight number is "outside the scope" of what earns mileage. Seems wrong to me, guessing I need to appeal but now wondering if there's a better way to address this - had thought the metal is what would matter
Did your boarding pass have the BA flight number on it?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
According to the rules, that is correct: no AS credit unless the marketing and operating carrier are the same, even if both airlines are partners. In practice, most of us have had success getting credit according to the operating carrier's earning chart, as you say, so I'd try to push back. But ultimately, the written rules don't give you a leg to stand on here.

This, in my opinion, an annoying, unnecessary limitation of AS's program, and one of the few ways in which it is customer-unfriendly in a way that makes it quite impractical to use in many cases if they actually follow the letter of their rules.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Did your boarding pass have the BA flight number on it?
Yes, BA2279 (LGW-OAK). On the bottom of the BP, where BA indicates codeshares, and FFP, shows "Sold as AY5455"

Originally Posted by ashill
According to the rules, that is correct: no AS credit unless the marketing and operating carrier are the same, even if both airlines are partners. In practice, most of us have had success getting credit according to the operating carrier's earning chart, as you say, so I'd try to push back. But ultimately, the written rules don't give you a leg to stand on here.

This, in my opinion, an annoying, unnecessary limitation of AS's program, and one of the few ways in which it is customer-unfriendly in a way that makes it quite impractical to use in many cases if they actually follow the letter of their rules.
Yea, I'll appeal on the grounds that it was for all intents and purposes a BA flight, seems like a minor issue, quite disappointing, the whole shebang.

Admittedly this is something that I didn't really consider when I shifted my flying and crediting to AS this year, and given how my corporate TA books a ton of really dumb codeshares for price reasons, will seriously disrupt my ability to make this work if I have a bunch of dumb orphaned flights.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
...given how my corporate TA books a ton of really dumb codeshares for price reasons...
What's dumb about booking the codeshare if it's cheaper? Or is there a different price reason?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:35 pm

Yes, BA2279 (LGW-OAK). On the bottom of the BP, where BA indicates codeshares, and FFP, shows "Sold as AY5455"
Did you submit it as BA2279 or as AY5455? I just send an email like

requesting mileage credit for
BA2279 LGW (London Gatwick) - OAK (Oakland)
Jan 1, 2017
rustykettel
MP# 000999000

and attach a snap of the BP
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by milypan
What's dumb about booking the codeshare if it's cheaper? Or is there a different price reason?
Besides the fact that you end in this very situation where AS won't credit you? The usual he-said, she-said run-around you get during issues with flight changes, irrops, responsibility for compensation, etc. I've lost track of the number of times I've had IB and BA point fingers at each other for lost luggage or miscons and not actually address the problem. Plus, you're on FT, booking an unnecessary codeshare is up there with a booking a through-flight as one of the biggest no-nos.

Did you submit it as BA2279 or as AY5455? I just send an email like

requesting mileage credit for
BA2279 LGW (London Gatwick) - OAK (Oakland)
Jan 1, 2017
rustykettel
MP# 000999000

and attach a snap of the BP
Yea, did exactly that the first time.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Plus, you're on FT, booking an unnecessary codeshare is up there with a booking a through-flight as one of the biggest no-nos.
I wouldn't consider a substantial cost savings "unnecessary". All else being equal, absolutely one should avoid codeshares. But if price is not equal, when using either my money or my employer's (or funding agency's) money, I go for the codeshare. Several other reasons to go for codeshares: Fly America Act and frequent flyer miles in cases in which marketing carrier is what matters (e.g. most of all oneworld or SkyTeam frequent flyer programs, and AS's program when flying AA metal even before they further gut the partnership).

The fact that AS ksnt equipped to effectively handle codeshares amongst their partner airlines is inexcusable, IMO.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ashill
The fact that AS ksnt equipped to effectively handle codeshares amongst their partner airlines is inexcusable, IMO.
AS: so, AY, gonna pay us for the AS miles this customer would have earned on this flight?

AY: not so much, not part of the contract.

AS: How about you, BA?

BA: no, sod off. Also not part of the contract.

This is life outside of an alliance. The bottom line is unless AS is willing to just grin and eat costs no matter what, they're not going to give mileage credit every oddball combo of tickets out there if their partners aren't going to pay them for the miles.

I mean, really, try getting UA to give you mileage credit for a CX flight segment flown on a UA ticket. (Yep, that is something you can get- saw a friend of mine get BKK-HKG-SFO-AUS with the first flight on CX.) Good luck with that. And that is an 016 ticket...

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jul 27, 2017 at 4:22 pm
Old Jul 27, 2017, 4:48 pm

Yea, did exactly that the first time.
Darn it! Well, you're now a first data point- partner/partner codeshare not credited to mileage plan.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 1:03 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Darn it! Well, you're now a first data point- partner/partner codeshare not credited to mileage plan.
You must be joking. This has been a problem for ages.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by keitherson
You must be joking. This has been a problem for ages.
Automatic posting? Yes. Refused retro credit by customer service on a codeshare when both the operating and marketing carriers are AS partners? No, haven't had that experience either personally or reading others' posts here.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Automatic posting? Yes. Refused retro credit by customer service on a codeshare when both the operating and marketing carriers are AS partners? No, haven't had that experience either personally or reading others' posts here.
I've heard of it once or twice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.