Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Processor Glitches

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Actually they're holding back seats for 2 reasons.

1. A lot more people are buying F and reduced F fares and needing to change them. Hard to do if Alaska gives up the inventory to "U" leaving people like me stranded or put in coach on Day of Departure

2. With all the swaps going on, its easier to manage upgrades at the 24, 12, and 1 hour mark.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 5:21 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by Finkface
I (and others) asked this question of Missy way back in November. If booked prior to Dec. 5, date of purchase is the overriding factor (after status, of course) in upgrade priority. Purchase date should trump fare class if booked prior to Dec. 5. I am looking for some of the posts now:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27543667-post120.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27460046-post1.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27464301-post18.html

Even on the AS site, it states that fare class is prioritized only for those tickets booked post-Dec 5. If booked prior to Dec. 5, it should be prioritized by time of booking (within status level):
Upgrades will be processed by elite status level within the upgrade windows noted above, then by fare class (for bookings as of December 5, 2016), then by the time of booking. If an upgrade is available on your flight, you will be upgraded immediately. If there are no upgrades available for your flight, you will remain on the waitlist until one is available.

Edit: found the answer from Missy. The last line:
Because you bought first AND bought prior to the 12/5 change, you are first.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27490033-post64.html

My answer here was taken out of context.

The fare class component is still separated by Qualifying and nonqualifying fares. Because Finkface purchased pre December 5, her upgrade should not be resorted by fare class, so that her K fare falls underneath someone with an L fare who purchased after her. However, anyone who purchases an fare that is upgradeable prior to the 72 hour mark is ahead of her.

Upgrades will be processed by elite status level within the upgrade windows noted above, then by fare class (for bookings as of December 5, 2016), then by the time of booking.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
missy, and esteemed mods, would it be possible/timely to update the "how complimentary upgrades work" thread, and make it a sticky?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 5:45 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Transparency...

I imagine airlines regret even showing an upgrade list as it sets expectations, but its real benefit to them is to reduce inquiries at the gate as to whether an upgrade is coming or not.

I just wonder if Alaska would dare to actually show us a list that included Tier, Fare Class, Date Added?
Often times phone and gate agents cannot see that information.

That would clear things up as to whether something is actually wrong or not when we are constantly told everything is OK but the behavior of the list states otherwise. It would help illustrate legitimate unusual situations and allay some fears.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 11:34 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Checked in for a BA Avios award flight for two on Alaska today that was booked prior to the changes to all the upgrade stuff. In mid-December (?) the reservation flipped to show "First Class Waitlisted" on the website, in keeping with the new policy that award seats are eligible for upgrade.

Alas when checking in on the mobile app today and then looking at the upgrade requests list I find I'm not on the list

Called in the lowly regular person line and spoke with an agent. Honestly it's just a mess. I'm allowed to be upgraded individually since I'm MVP, but in order for that to happen she claimed they'd have to split the PNR, which they can't do since it was a BA booking. I was told to just chat with the agent at the desk when I get to the boarding area. Not much point to that since I'm likely to be at the bottom of a list that already has 7 people on it.

Neil
Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AC 25K, Marriott LT Platinum
I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but it seems related. With the paucity of U space these days, I paid the fare difference to upgrade a reservation from H to P class. However, it still says First Class Waitlisted, even though I have a seat assignment in FC. I called reservations and they said not to worry about it, but I'd feel more comfortable checking with the experts on this forum as well.
Attached Images  
Old Mar 27, 2017, 7:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Howard
I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but it seems related. With the paucity of U space these days, I paid the fare difference to upgrade a reservation from H to P class. However, it still says First Class Waitlisted, even though I have a seat assignment in FC. I called reservations and they said not to worry about it, but I'd feel more comfortable checking with the experts on this forum as well.
An agent should be able to remove this- I think its an artifact of SABRE and AS' interface. Basically for every segment we are waitlisted, there is a second flight number entered into SABRE from what I understand. The second segment waitlisting you has not been removed.

Since you are in F now, it should be ok.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 12:45 am

Opposite problem! My husband (non-elite) and I are on different reservations because we have different return dates. I linked our reservations online then called CS to get seats together. While on the line I asked to be removed from the PE and FC lists so that he wouldn't be left behind in steerage. Verified that the waitlist message was gone from my purchased trip on the website.

T-30 hrs out I caught a wild hare and decided to peek at my res... And found that I was upgraded to PE. My old seat had been filled. Rather than risk anything I bit the bullet and paid for an upgrade for him since there was a seat available next to my new seat in PE.

I guess I should feel grateful that we basically got a "two-fer" upgrade but do feel a bit let down by the computer gremlins. :-(
Old Dec 13, 2017, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by treinhard
12/14/17
SEA-PSP Flight 560
MVP
Fare Class: V
Purchased: 11/15/17
Cleared at just under T-24 hours (after phone call)

I don't post often, but this was an odd one—looks to me like the processor is still glitchy: I went to check on the mobile app a bit after T-24, and much to my surprise, was offered an upgrade for $53.75. I called the MVP line, told the gal I was offered a paid upgrade, and after a brief hold, I now have a complimentary seat up front! The agent didn't say anything about the UG list or my place on it—Just had me go to check in, and I was magically in F.

There are already 9 people visible on the WL at T-23 (I'm sure it will end up being much longer this time of year to PSP), and I'm sure I would've been beneath all or most of them, as I hadn't even cleared into PC yet. There were 3 seats available when I got upgraded (including mine), and now 20 minutes later there is only one. I'm assuming that someone else without status took another paid upgrade, as the list doesn't show anyone having cleared, or someone already confirmed in F did not have a seat until check-in. There's no way to tell, but I have a hunch that it is a paid upgrade.

Maybe it's the conspiracy theorist in me, but I could almost see this being a test to see if AS elites are secretly willing to pay for F upgrades, like VX elites? AS is always looking for a way to monetize.

Lucky day for an MVP who hasn't seen an upgrade in what feels like ages... two more weeks until I hit MVPG for the first time! Cheers!
AS still has the glitch with OLCI it seems. If there is U between T-24 and T-45 minutes (or so) someone can pay for an upgrade on occasion. Even elites can, [although this shouldn't be happening]. I've yet to do it, but have been tempted to pay the $ for the upgrade, and then contact Customer Care for a) a refund, and b) to find out why this is happening. As AFAIK it should not be happening.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by beckoa
AS still has the glitch with OLCI it seems. If there is U between T-24 and T-45 minutes (or so) someone can pay for an upgrade on occasion. Even elites can, [although this shouldn't be happening]. I've yet to do it, but have been tempted to pay the $ for the upgrade, and then contact Customer Care for a) a refund, and b) to find out why this is happening. As AFAIK it should not be happening.
I grabbed an ANC-SEA upgrade like this recently. I booked last minute so had no chance of a window upgrade at T-5 days. On the day of departure, the flight was F3U0, and at around T-2h, I got an EF alert that 'U' space had opened. By the time I checked EF again, it was F2U2, and a person behind me on the upgrade waitlist had disappeared from the list. Even though I had already checked in, I quickly attempted to check in again, and was presented with the "Upgrades Available" message. I grabbed a seat, and the inventory changed to F1U1. (The upgrade was free, by the way -- I'm G75, but I'm still surprised the MVP who posted above was asked to pay.) At about T-1h, I noticed that 'U' space was closed again (F1U0), and only #1 on the list was upgraded at the gate.

The cynic in me thinks that AS knows exactly what they're doing -- they perhaps wanted to try to sell those last three seats to non-elite passengers who may be checking in at the airport in those final two hours. Why else would you open 'U' space so late when it would be just as easy to clear those remaining upgrades at the gate? Clearing three upgrades really wouldn't be that much of a burden on the gate agent. On the other hand, I do appreciate when upgrades clear earlier, but it's unacceptable to me for AS to allow list jumping or to sell upgrades last-minute at the expense of elite upgrades, unless they clearly notify elites of a change in policy.

We know the IT is broken, but given the above, I do question whether there's more to the story.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 6:33 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by metallo
I grabbed an ANC-SEA upgrade like this recently. I booked last minute so had no chance of a window upgrade at T-5 days. On the day of departure, the flight was F3U0, and at around T-2h, I got an EF alert that 'U' space had opened. By the time I checked EF again, it was F2U2, and a person behind me on the upgrade waitlist had disappeared from the list. Even though I had already checked in, I quickly attempted to check in again, and was presented with the "Upgrades Available" message. I grabbed a seat, and the inventory changed to F1U1. (The upgrade was free, by the way -- I'm G75, but I'm still surprised the MVP who posted above was asked to pay.) At about T-1h, I noticed that 'U' space was closed again (F1U0), and only #1 on the list was upgraded at the gate.

The cynic in me thinks that AS knows exactly what they're doing -- they perhaps wanted to try to sell those last three seats to non-elite passengers who may be checking in at the airport in those final two hours. Why else would you open 'U' space so late when it would be just as easy to clear those remaining upgrades at the gate? Clearing three upgrades really wouldn't be that much of a burden on the gate agent. On the other hand, I do appreciate when upgrades clear earlier, but it's unacceptable to me for AS to allow list jumping or to sell upgrades last-minute at the expense of elite upgrades, unless they clearly notify elites of a change in policy.

We know the IT is broken, but given the above, I do question whether there's more to the story.
I've done this on a couple of flights now. I've just gotten into the habit of checking in multiple times. It's sad and honestly needs to be fixed. If this is the way the game is going to work, they should just come clean and say "Tough Luck Elites". I'd rather some honesty than operate on the assumption that I might actually get an upgrade in the normal manor at this point.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
If you're within the upgrade window and there's U space with availability then HUCA and ask them to process the upgrade.
Good advice. I'm flying this weekend and my flight was showing F7U7 as of last night. I expected the upgrade to come through overnight, but was surprised to wake up this morning to the flight being F7U5, yet I was still showing as waitlisted for First. I called in and the friendly agent confirmed that I should have been automatically cleared by the system, and processed the upgrade manually. Flight now shows F7U4.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 1:35 pm

Can confirm this is still occurring and I've actually figured out a pretty reliable pattern of how U seats become available. At this point I'm going to fall back on the general assumption that IT is just broke at this point. Too many systems being integrated and there is likely not resources being dedicated to figuring it out. If you want an upgrade at this point, figure out the pattern, or just hold on to your lucky rabbit foot to get an upgrade.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:23 pm

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
Originally Posted by rune87
Can confirm this is still occurring and I've actually figured out a pretty reliable pattern of how U seats become available. At this point I'm going to fall back on the general assumption that IT is just broke at this point. Too many systems being integrated and there is likely not resources being dedicated to figuring it out. If you want an upgrade at this point, figure out the pattern, or just hold on to your lucky rabbit foot to get an upgrade.
I'd like to "quote" all four of the previous posters, but that's difficult, so I'll just piggyback off of your post.
I'm just MVP... nothing special... but:
I did the exact same thing on Dec18... checked in a second time, and snagged a paid/free upgrade. Meaning that it said they were available, but it didn't charge me.

Regarding what you've said, you mean you figured out the pattern, and aren't gonna share it of FlyerTalk!?!?!?
Revoke your privileges! LOL

I haven't observed the pattern yet; I was disappointed when my return trip did not behave the same way, and I ended up in coach all the way to AK.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Legend717
I'd like to "quote" all four of the previous posters, but that's difficult, so I'll just piggyback off of your post.
I'm just MVP... nothing special... but:
I did the exact same thing on Dec18... checked in a second time, and snagged a paid/free upgrade. Meaning that it said they were available, but it didn't charge me.

Regarding what you've said, you mean you figured out the pattern, and aren't gonna share it of FlyerTalk!?!?!?
Revoke your privileges! LOL

I haven't observed the pattern yet; I was disappointed when my return trip did not behave the same way, and I ended up in coach all the way to AK.
Hahaha! Nope. I've prolly said too much as it is by saying there is a pattern. If you all know it I'll never get my upgrade, especially with the reduction in seats in FC. I've got way too many transcons this year. Maybe once those are done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.