Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Processor Glitches

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
This Friday, AS75 SEA-JNU, dummy booking shows blue F - U space available - for 1 (white F if you do a dummy booking for 2), called reservations to ask why my upgrade didn't clear. Rep says that it's U=0, 11 booked into F (on a 12-seat F config).

I walked her through what I did on the website, how I saw the blue F, and how revenue shows they will sell 2 F tickets outright... she's escalating to IT, says that's for sure a bug.

No biggie, short flight, I'm in the exit row... but hopefully they can track down the cause of this bug and fix it!
Old Feb 21, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
Just have to say that while I'm glad we at least have mostly figured out the rules of this game, it's really damn annoying that it's every man for himself, and that I have to keep calling. Coming from Delta 2 years ago this stuff just worked and worked well. I can only imagine where its at now. Part of being loyal to an airline is the expectation that eventually you will see some fringe benefits from that loyalty. Alaska at this point seems to just be running on it's reserves of goodwill but eventually everyone will get tired of this. I'm still slightly pissed over getting upgraded, then at check in the system trying to charge me, and between the agents trying to correct things I lost the upgrade. Not really a great way to promote loyalty. Seattle is the land of programmers...you can't tell me Alaska can't hire some competent ones and fix it. /end rant
Old Feb 21, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: AS MVPG75; Bonvoy, National Exec, United Silver
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
See I disagree here. I think that since GGUs are quantity limited they absolutely should trump comp u/gs, like an instrument on other carriers.

Obviously they should be waitlist-able too and then honored in order of status and time requested -- and *of course* AS should fix the underlying upgrade engine problems -- but absent that waitlist I have no problem with someone using a GGU inside the window.

What I don't think is ok is talking a phone agent into processing your comp upgrade when there's a waitlist, unless that is being done in waitlist order.
Just to clarify, I didn’t ask them to upgrade me ahead of others. Quite the opposite, I asked them to upgrade the G75k at the top of the list rather than offering to apply one of my GGUs (the fare was eligible).
Old Feb 21, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
This has been standard operating procedure at UA for years. The upgrade processor isn't fast enough and people can sneak in an upgrade despite the waitlist. Just add to the top of the clearing priority "those savvy enough to find open upgradeable inventory (or get lucky in timing upon request), request to apply a GGU, and have a GGU applicable fare class".

This has been a known issue at UA for many years and they never cared to address it. Then again they were selling $99 upgrades to only those with no status on check-in while many elites waited in line and were not even offered upgrades for $. It got to a point that even with an upgrade instrument you were waitlisted and often could not clear as upgrades were sold at a discount well before they would even try and clear. They kept the upgrade inventory at 0 until the day before on many busy flights.

We can all hope that Alaska goes "Beyond" but it seems that is rare these days.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
They should follow their own posted policies. If they decide GGUs should trump the waitlist at any point in time, they should make that explicit.
I don't even see how that would work. The waitlist is supposed to be automatic. If everything worked, it shouldn't be POSSIBLE to use a GGU while there are people on the waitlist and the window is open -- their upgrades should already have been processed.
PDX4MSU and pbelmore like this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I don't even see how that would work. The waitlist is supposed to be automatic. If everything worked, it shouldn't be POSSIBLE to use a GGU while there are people on the waitlist and the window is open -- their upgrades should already have been processed.
Indeed. My flight tomorrow has been U-1 all day (6 empties on seat map). I have not been upgraded. I don't want to call because it's a hassle but there shouldn't be U space available all day while people sit on the waitlist.
PDX4MSU likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:45 pm

Indeed. My flight tomorrow has been U-1 all day (6 empties on seat map). I have not been upgraded. I don't want to call because it's a hassle but there shouldn't be U space available all day while people sit on the waitlist.
Got curious and called. They said no U space, so website has been showing the U space erroneously all day. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old Feb 21, 2018, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
website has been showing the U space erroneously all day
if true, that's even worse i think than the waitlist not clearing...or at least more maddening for me personally, because it should be easier for them to fix.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 10:19 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
when U space is open, recheck-in again and click on "Upgrade to First Class".
Old Feb 21, 2018, 10:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Got curious and called. They said no U space, so website has been showing the U space erroneously all day. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
AS' site can get hung up (usually an hour delay, but can be longer). Using a tool such as ExpertFlyer can be beneficial in seeing U space, and frustrating to see at the same time.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 10:41 pm

Less than 24 hours, no U available

Less than 24 hrs, I’m mvp gold, there is no U available but 2 first class seats open. It still says my wife and I are on upgrade list for first class. We were already moved into premium class at 72 hr window. Am I still to assume it’s possibe we get upgraded to first class for free? I’m also willing to pay the 100 dollar fee to upgrade, but that’s not available yet? Can someone explain how the upgrade system works as an mvp gold elite within 24 hour window when no U is available but 2 sears are still open for first? Is it possible that I can pay 100 per seat or as an mvp
gold should I not have to do that?
Old Feb 23, 2018, 12:23 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Gilbum
Less than 24 hrs, I’m mvp gold, there is no U available but 2 first class seats open. It still says my wife and I are on upgrade list for first class. We were already moved into premium class at 72 hr window. Am I still to assume it’s possibe we get upgraded to first class for free? I’m also willing to pay the 100 dollar fee to upgrade, but that’s not available yet? Can someone explain how the upgrade system works as an mvp gold elite within 24 hour window when no U is available but 2 sears are still open for first? Is it possible that I can pay 100 per seat or as an mvp
The $100 paid upgrade via OLCI also requires U=1 or more, so won't be offered. It's all up to Revenue Management. They could open U or leave it closed until it goes to gate control in hopes of selling those last two seats at regular (not upgrade) paid price. Once the gate agent takes over, and there are still open F seats, they're supposed to clear the upgrade list in order prior to offering paid upgrades.

Note that if U=1, the upgrade processor will skip over you since there are two people on your reservation. It won't split your reservation.

Good luck!
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott Titanium, Delta Gold, United Silver
Less than 24 hrs, I’m mvp gold, there is no U available but 2 first class seats open.

Am I still to assume it’s possibe we get upgraded to first class for free?
If it's within 24 hrs, you should also be able to see the upgrade wait list list in the Alaska app. I *think* the list will continue to update and change as people check in for the flight, but you can keep an eye on whether anyone pops up ahead of you on the list, which, if there's only two seats, would be a definite no to an upgrade.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K, Hilton Diamond
Still a chance

I was recently in the same situation. I asked at the gate and was told there were 2 seats left being held in case someone purchased them. This seemed highly unlikely since boarding had already started. The gate agent waited until the last person had boarded before releasing the 2 remaining seats. Since we were at the top of the upgrade list we waited by the podium, got our new boarding passes and boarded last.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Systems are definitely still broken. Called in about my upgrade on Monday, and was told its not available. Which matches Sabre:

126FEBBOSPDX‡AS«
26FEB MON BOS/EST PDX/PST-3
1AS 33 F4 D4*BOSPDX 100 420P 806P 73J D 0 XTJ DC /E
P1 U0 A0 Y7 Z7 S7 B7 M7 H7 Q7 L7 V7

but not Alaskaair.com

Alaska rep said the website is wrong. I asked to be removed from the UG list since the processor isn't working as I'll be happy to keep my seat in the exit row. I've also had friends fly who are MVP's clear before me.

-n

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.