Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:49 am

I'm trying to find BZN-SEA award availability (partner - BA).. I can find plenty, every single day May/Jun 2018 but only till 06/06...
Not a single award seat from 06/07 till the end of July.. This is also true for BZN-PDX...
Any explanation? When those seat will be available??

Thanks
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:55 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ehud
I'm trying to find BZN-SEA award availability (partner - BA).. I can find plenty, every single day May/Jun 2018 but only till 06/06...
Not a single award seat from 06/07 till the end of July.. This is also true for BZN-PDX...
Any explanation? When those seat will be available??

Thanks
I had to look up BZN. Bozeman Montana? Do you mean BCN? ( Barcelona)

My guess is you are dealing with summer. As few tickets as there are....most were picked up months ago when they first became available at 330 days.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by david55
I had to look up BZN. Bozeman Montana? Do you mean BCN? ( Barcelona)

My guess is you are dealing with summer. As few tickets as there are....most were picked up months ago when they first became available at 330 days.
BZN - Bozeman, Montana
It doesn't make sense as there is availability every single date before and nothing after June 6..
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
BZN - Bozeman, Montana
It doesn't make sense as there is availability every single date before and nothing after June 6..
What you see is what you get. There is no real pattern as to when seats will open up at saver level and when they won't. Looks like right now peak travel season there is limited saver space. Space isn't widely available again until October.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Finkface
I doubt it as you don't actually go on "the list" until your upgrade window. If you were talking about an instant upgrade that puts you in F now, that would stick unless you needed to be reticketed for any reason. But for a comp upgrade, you don't actually go on the upgrade list until your window so I would wonder whether your lack of status at that time would affect that? Is U space open now? If so, I'd buy an instant upgrade fare or use a GGU if you want to be sure of sitting in F.

i would think you are out of luck if you wait for your window with no status.
Originally Posted by quemalo
Ah, yeah I'm pretty sure in that case you're out of luck. What is the price difference between a cheap T class fare or whatever and an instant-upgrade fare?
The instant upgrade cost is more than discount F. Since this would be a trip for work, I can't buy higher than the lowest available fare anyways, which is an R class right now. The trip isn't long enough to justify paying the difference out of pocket between R and P or R and M. I was just hoping I would get lucky

I will probably just fly WN then, as the schedule is a bit better.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
BZN - Bozeman, Montana
BZN is a gateway airport to Yellowstone. Once the summer season starts, seats sell. My suggestion is buy, or look for other airports that might have award space. If you're trying to get to Yellowstone, BZN, WYS, JAC, BIL, or BTM might work.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
BZN is a gateway airport to Yellowstone. Once the summer season starts, seats sell. My suggestion is buy, or look for other airports that might have award space. If you're trying to get to Yellowstone, BZN, WYS, JAC, BIL, or BTM might work.
There are seats available, just not to the OP, because s/he said they were trying to book with BA miles. BA only can access low level AS inventory, so if there aren't any saver seats, the OP is out of luck. As you said, AS will capacity control these airports during the high volume summer travel months.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
There are seats available, just not to the OP, because s/he said they were trying to book with BA miles. BA only can access low level AS inventory, so if there aren't any saver seats, the OP is out of luck. As you said, AS will capacity control these airports during the high volume summer travel months.
The OP can also look at the AA flight DFW-BZN, but that will probably also be capacity limited.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:44 pm

I just made my first Alaska reservation for MSP-SEA. I upgraded to 9C in a 737-900. I wanted to do the first row of premium economy (6) but it told me that if someone on the plane has a disability, they have to give them preference for that seat, and then I will have my seat reassigned. If this happens will I be able to choose which premium economy seat I get or will it be whatever they say?

thanks
Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:27 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
As a new MVPG, I need to make sure I understand the rules about canceling:

1) I can cancel an award reservation at any point for no fee?
2) If I buy a cash ticket and then cancel, the full amount goes into my wallet with no change fee?
3) What if I buy a cash ticket using a $100 Customer Service cert? If I cancel, do I get the full amount of the ticket into my wallet, or the just the amount minus the cert value? Is a new cert issued?
Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by sjackson12
I just made my first Alaska reservation for MSP-SEA. I upgraded to 9C in a 737-900. I wanted to do the first row of premium economy (6) but it told me that if someone on the plane has a disability, they have to give them preference for that seat, and then I will have my seat reassigned. If this happens will I be able to choose which premium economy seat I get or will it be whatever they say?

thanks
If you are flying alone than 6A is typically not a seat reassignable for those with a disability.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by cblaisd

2) If I buy a cash ticket and then cancel, the full amount goes into my wallet with no change fee?
3) What if I buy a cash ticket using a $100 Customer Service cert? If I cancel, do I get the full amount of the ticket into my wallet, or the just the amount minus the cert value? Is a new cert issued?
1. Yes
2. Yes. Although if you cancel within 24 hours than it’s refunded to original form of payment.
3. iirc - Customer service can replace the discount cert for you but the expiration date becomes an issue on this one.

***I may be corrected on #3***
Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by cblaisd

Originally Posted by flyupfrnt

1. Yes
2. Yes. Although if you cancel within 24 hours than it’s refunded to original form of payment.
3. iirc - Customer service can replace the discount cert for you but the expiration date becomes an issue on this one.

***I may be corrected on #3***
I'm not sure if 3) is any different with the voucher i got for CC sign up but was told i could cancel the flights but would lose the $50 once i drop in the wallet.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 12:01 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sjackson12

thanks
Depends if a GA wants to help. My family member wasn't able to get one of those seats even though he's disabled. I told him to ask the GA if they can accommodate him in one of those seats but the GA told him since it was occupied they couldn't ask the passenger to switch seats. When he got on-board though, the person in the bulkhead aisle seat offered him the seat which was a nice gesture.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there an email address for customer service? I don't want to use the webpage form because I want to send an attachment of a screenshot of a reservation. I also don't want to wait 10-15 days for a reply to then be able to send a screenshot and wait another 10-15 days for a response/resolution. This is regarding upcoming travel and the folks on the phone and twitter have been unable to help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.