Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by sowacko
Couldn't find this anywhere on the google machine. Does anyone know if MVP Gold gets free checked back on Iceland air economy class?
Golds and 75Ks don't have any perks on FI other than lounge access at KEF. But unless you're on one of the brand-spankin'-new Economy Light fares, you already get a free checked bag.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 6:11 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
...- I will obviously not be able to make the flight if I cannot mobile check in and get a boarding pass at the 1 hour mark (will miss the checkin cutoff). But this is an international flight. Will I be able to from experience? I haven't flowed Alaska Airlines from Vancouver to Seattle before, and I don't know if they have the thing about "please see an agent to show your passport" before letting you check in?
I take this flight (YVR-SEA on AS) often. I am assuming you mean the 0945 QX flight?

There is most definitely a "please see an agent to show your passport" thing for transborder flights but you can still OLCI and just show it at some point prior to boarding. At the gate, they start paging the names of those who have not yet shown their passports (either to a check in agent or to the gate agent) starting at about T-40. They get more and more insistent that you will not be allowed to board without a passport check prior to the start of boarding. You then have to show your passport again during boarding.

With an hour, needing to disembark your flight, walk the connections route, use the GE machine and see an officer at US pre-clearance, then the looooong walk to E96 (where this flight departs from - it is at the farthest possible reaches), and to be at the gate by T-15ish at the absolute latest for the passport check and boarding (no jetway - down the stairs, down a hall, outside) is extremely ambitious. They won't let you just hop on at the last second as your passport has to be swiped before they can close out the flight.

Last edited by Finkface; Oct 15, 2017 at 6:23 pm
Old Oct 15, 2017, 6:29 pm

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Thanks for the detailed reply rustykettle, I did consider Premium Class but at $89 I'm not sure if this is value for money. I will sleep on it for now. Cheers.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 8:27 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Finkface
With an hour, needing to disembark your flight, walk the connections route, use the GE machine and see an officer at US pre-clearance, then the looooong walk to E96 (where this flight departs from - it is at the farthest possible reaches), and to be at the gate by T-15ish at the absolute latest for the passport check and boarding (no jetway - down the stairs, down a hall, outside) is extremely ambitious. They won't let you just hop on at the last second as your passport has to be swiped before they can close out the flight.
A delay on arrival could nix this connection, but the last time I did this--and I was connecting from an international flight, so I had to reclear security as well--I don't think it took more than twenty minutes for me to get from the arrival gate to those gates at the end of E. One hour is certainly much tighter than I would've booked, but it's doable under ideal conditions.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by jinglish
A delay on arrival could nix this connection, but the last time I did this--and I was connecting from an international flight, so I had to reclear security as well--I don't think it took more than twenty minutes for me to get from the arrival gate to those gates at the end of E. One hour is certainly much tighter than I would've booked, but it's doable under ideal conditions.
Thanks. I guess I'll book the later (noon) flight and if it looks like I can make it, get on the 0945am flight on standby. Not ideal, but oh well.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
How is AS progressing concerning seating reconfiguration of its B737-900 aircraft? And is the legroom in first being increased to 41 inches from 36 inches?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 3:33 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by jlemon
How is AS progressing concerning seating reconfiguration of its B737-900 aircraft? And is the legroom in first being increased to 41 inches from 36 inches?
80% done and 42"

Consolidated 739/ER reconfigured F/PE/Y 16/24/138 Thread
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Apologies in advance if this is answered elsewhere; I searched and haven't located an answer.

Does anyone have definite DPs on whether Alaska Lounge members (who don't yet have a physical card) can access Admirals Clubs using either the electronic membership card or the temporary card that AS will issue at a Lounge? I'm debating if it's worth making a special trip to the AS Lounge to get a temporary card. I'm flying AA from LAX T4 today, AS is in T6, and it will be miserably hot in that tunnel this afternoon. If there's no advantage to the temporary card, I guess I may as well be patient and wait. Or better yet, if they will accept the electronic one, I don't need to wait on anything. Thanks!
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist, M Life Gold, Wyndham Diamond, Caesars Diamond, IHG Plat
Going to be MVPG for the first time, during priority boarding, can my wife(MVP) board with me the same time? Also what about people who are on your reservation (non elites) able to board with you?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by plzkthx
Going to be MVPG for the first time, during priority boarding, can my wife(MVP) board with me the same time? Also what about people who are on your reservation (non elites) able to board with you?
boarding enforcement is lax in general, but the basic guidance is that all co-travelers can board with the highest status member.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Carl
Apologies in advance if this is answered elsewhere; I searched and haven't located an answer.

Does anyone have definite DPs on whether Alaska Lounge members (who don't yet have a physical card) can access Admirals Clubs using either the electronic membership card or the temporary card that AS will issue at a Lounge? I'm debating if it's worth making a special trip to the AS Lounge to get a temporary card. I'm flying AA from LAX T4 today, AS is in T6, and it will be miserably hot in that tunnel this afternoon. If there's no advantage to the temporary card, I guess I may as well be patient and wait. Or better yet, if they will accept the electronic one, I don't need to wait on anything. Thanks!
I think they should accept your electronic card since they accept electronic versions of your boarding pass. FYI, I did did have a problem with my electronic boarding pass at ORD. It only brought up our originating city flight in their system, not the flight arriving at ORD. They ended up printing an AA boarding pass for our next flight.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 1:41 pm

For MVPGolds, I know the $125 change/cancellation fee is waived for any close-in changes.

But is the fees also waived once travel has started and you want to make changes to the return segment?
Old Oct 18, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
We’ve been able to make changes on the return flight. I think the only cost is if there is a price difference between the two flights.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton
Intra Asia

Hello, can anyone tell me the following routes are legit one way award on JAL?

1. CAN-HND (stopover)-HKG
2. CAN-HND (stopover)-SIN
3. CAN-HND (stopover) open jaw NRT - BKK

Thanks

-----------got my answer

Last edited by gogomustangs; Oct 18, 2017 at 9:25 pm
Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gogomustangs
Hello, can anyone tell me the following routes are legit one way award on JAL?

1. CAN-HND (stopover)-HKG
2. CAN-HND (stopover)-SIN
3. CAN-HND (stopover) open jaw NRT - BKK

Thanks

-----------got my answer
They are all valid routings. 25K in Business Class. It looks like availability from HND-HKG is very limited in option one but you could do a stopover open jaw like option three for better availability.

Cheers

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.