Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Qantas (QF) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2019, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Qantas routes Australia to/from USA Canada
Looking for awards only on LAX-SYD route restricts your options.
AS award chart:---> https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...s/award-charts

Note these routes and/or aircraft type may change. Not all routes have flights every day.
May not be up to date
BNE-LAX B330
MEL-DFW B787
MEL-LAX B787 (was the first A380 route for Qantas on 21 October 2008)
MEL-DFW B787
SYD-DFW B787 A380
SYD-HNL
SYD-AKL-JFK B787 (from June 2023)
SYD-LAX A380 B787
SYD-SFO
SYD-YVR
General
The QF A380 have first, business, premium economy & economy classes. Only the A380 has first class.
The QF B787's have, business, premium economy & economy classes. The B787’s do not have first class.
All QF B747's have been retired and sent to the Mojave desert. (July 2020)

QF starts to release their awards 353 days out to QF frequent flyers. But awards can be released any time out to departure. Anyone can join the QF ffp and then search for award availability. Be careful about mixed economy/business QF awards. These have an identifying symbol on the award flight.

A business class flight will give access to the Qantas Club or Qantas Business lounge. Major domestic airports have both a Qantas Club lounge, for mid level Oneworld status holders and paid QF club members, and a better Business lounge, with access by business class of service or top level Oneworld status. Domestic lounges can get very busy at morning and late afternoon peaks.

From QF web site QF seat maps

Qantas Australia domestic
Award availability on QF domestic routes in both business & economy is usually OK. Can be harder on longer routes (say 3~ 4 hour flights).

The workhorse of QF Mainline domestic fleet is the B737-800. QF have 75 of these in a 12J162Y configuration. Some schedules have a A330, some of which have international style business seats. These 2 aircraft types are also used on trans Tasman routes (Australia to New Zealand).
General Qantas information Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qantas

The QantasLink brand is used on regional routes to smaller cities and towns. The aircraft used are Dash 8's (de Havilland Canada DHC-8-200, Bombardier Dash 8 Q300 & Q400) in all an Y configuration, Foker 100 in all 105Y configuration and B717's in 12JY98 or 125Y configuration.
General QantasLink information Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QantasLink

Qantas information Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qantas
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QantasLink

AA sub forum thread They have the same problems getting awards on QF and to AU/NZ & South Pacific--->
AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)
AA MileSAAver award to / from Australia, New Zealand (master thread)
FJ / Fiji Airways (ex-Air Pacific) and AA, miles, awards, etc. (consolidated)
AA Miles Award: TN / Air Tahiti Nui award redemptions (master thread)

Revisions
11 Jun 2022 QF announcements removed (except for 2) as AU is open and QF is flying AU<--->USA
15 Jun 2022 Deleted some dead links
11 Dec 2022 Remove redundant links. Revise routes
27 Dec 2022 MEL DFW added
25 Feb 2023 Formatting
13 Aug 2023 Added SYD-SFO
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Qantas (QF) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2022, 3:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by saaveraward
I have seen awards released to QF and BA but not AA and AS.

YMMV, but I've set up expert flyer alerts and when it hits, the space is generally available at AA and AS.

I'm sure someone on here will be able to legitimately contradict that, but I've had a few data points that worked out that way.
Thanks for replying! That seems to be the case for me. I'm not seeing those awards in AS, AA, or expert flyer. I guess calling AS won't help either? (I know I can just call and try myself, but I don't have a specific time or even date range for my trip yet. Just playing around to understand how this works.)
Old May 18, 2022, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by Domo5
Thanks for replying! That seems to be the case for me. I'm not seeing those awards in AS, AA, or expert flyer. I guess calling AS won't help either? (I know I can just call and try myself, but I don't have a specific time or even date range for my trip yet. Just playing around to understand how this works.)
Even if it's a legit IT outage, I think it's highly unlikely an AS rep can do anything for you regardless of your status. I doubt they'd even send it to their partner desk.

QF is releasing F awards to AA, and they've doubled up the frequency on the A388, so depending on what you're looking for, awards are out there.

Last edited by saaveraward; May 18, 2022 at 5:33 pm
Old May 18, 2022, 5:35 pm

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by Domo5
I apologize if this has been asked in this thread before... If I see QF award availability on both QF and BA, but not on AS website, does that mean the ticket is there and I need to talk to an AS agent and book over phone, or the ticket is not available for booking with AS miles? The flight I'm looking at is MEL-LAX, so I'm not sure if point of sales may also come into play in this case.
QF offers more award availability to its own FF members so checking QF isn't going to give you a good idea of what AS might have. Not sure whether BA hs better availibility than other QF partners, but they may. I doubt that calling in will help, but as you say there is no harm in trying.
Old May 19, 2022, 7:37 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
No idea if it will return to AS inventory but I am likely going to cancel a LAX-MEL tickect on May 31 one in J one in PE
Old May 19, 2022, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by tobikosan
No idea if it will return to AS inventory but I am likely going to cancel a LAX-MEL tickect on May 31 one in J one in PE
Too bad not the other way around. I'm doing MEL-LAX on 30th or 31st

Originally Posted by minz56
QF offers more award availability to its own FF members so checking QF isn't going to give you a good idea of what AS might have. Not sure whether BA hs better availibility than other QF partners, but they may. I doubt that calling in will help, but as you say there is no harm in trying.
I've been seeing flights through BA that are not available with AS or AA miles.
Old May 20, 2022, 9:04 am

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by CDKing
Too bad not the other way around. I'm doing MEL-LAX on 30th or 31st

I've been seeing flights through BA that are not available with AS or AA miles.
I picked up a few single Qantas J flights but that was month or two ago. Using AS I mean. I have the J MEL-LAX end of Nov, have not found and YVR-MEL in J for 2 in Dec
Old May 26, 2022, 10:26 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
Hi

Just wondering has anyone had any trouble getting through to American airlines international call centre lately?

I had fares with QF on hold, AKL-SYD. When I went to confirm them online I couldn't process the hold, neither on the desktop site nor with the app. It appeared that when I went to put my credit card number in, which is an NZ one, it wouldn't accept it, saying the fares were on put hold on the US site and needed a US credit card. When I tried to ring AA on their Sydney line it kept going to voicemail for several days. Very annoying as I could not confirm those fares on hold and then had to pay for cash fares that had gone up a lot.
Old May 26, 2022, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ellice
Just wondering has anyone had any trouble getting through to American airlines international call centre lately?

I had fares with QF on hold, AKL-SYD. When I went to confirm them online I couldn't process the hold, neither on the desktop site nor with the app. It appeared that when I went to put my credit card number in, which is an NZ one, it wouldn't accept it, saying the fares were on put hold on the US site and needed a US credit card. When I tried to ring AA on their Sydney line it kept going to voicemail for several days. Very annoying as I could not confirm those fares on hold and then had to pay for cash fares that had gone up a lot.
This is the AS QF thread The AS award chart does not have NZ AU awards

The AA QF thread ---> AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)
Did you have a cash fare on hold or an AA award on hold? Would expect AA could not sell a trans Tasman cash fare.
With the AA zone system AU NZ is often poor value (short flight) compared to cash fares. Even now with high TT fares.
Old May 27, 2022, 10:06 am

Anyone know how late you can cancel a Qantas domestic award? I booked a cash fare SYD-CNS, but I'm thinking of booking with miles an earlier flight incase I clear customs/immigration sooner and don't have to wait around (1h 45 min layover vs 3 hour 45 layover). Obviously if I can't make it I would be cancelling with less than an hours notice, the Alaska FAQ says to just notify them prior to the flight departs. I've looked into standby flights with Qantas but the cash fare I bought won't allow it/would be cost prohibitive. Arriving into SYD on Air Canada

Last edited by ellipsicon; May 27, 2022 at 10:15 am
Old May 27, 2022, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ellipsicon
Anyone know how late you can cancel a Qantas domestic award? I booked a cash fare SYD-CNS, but I'm thinking of booking with miles an earlier flight incase I clear customs/immigration sooner and don't have to wait around (1h 45 min layover vs 3 hour 45 layover). Obviously if I can't make it I would be cancelling with less than an hours notice, the Alaska FAQ says to just notify them prior to the flight departs. I've looked into standby flights with Qantas but the cash fare I bought won't allow it/would be cost prohibitive. Arriving into SYD on Air Canada
This is for QF awards by the QF ffp. For AS awards on QF it may be different. Best to ask AS.
QF link--->Refunding, cancelling or changing a Reward flight booking
FT QF forum thread-->Refund Rules on Classic Rewards Flight

If you cancel a cash ticket check carefully on cash refund vs flight credit voucher.
QF -->Cancel flights
Old May 27, 2022, 9:18 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
This is for QF awards by the QF ffp. For AS awards on QF it may be different. Best to ask AS.
I'm pretty sure this thread is for AS awards on QF...
Old May 27, 2022, 10:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
QF is very efficient at boarding. For domestic flights, the gate doesn't open until 20 minutes before departure and closes 10 minutes before departure. I flew SYD-MEL on an A330. Gate opened at T-20m and we pushed back 19 minutes later. They also board 737s from the front & via stairs at the back simultaneously. If you are in the back half they divert you in the jetway down the stairs and you walk out across the tarmac to the rear door.

As long as the flight hasn't departed, you can cancel the AS award. Just under an hour shouldn't be a problem; it is still ~40 minutes before boarding.

James
ellipsicon likes this.
Old May 28, 2022, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
QF is very efficient at boarding. For domestic flights, the gate doesn't open until 20 minutes before departure and closes 10 minutes before departure. I flew SYD-MEL on an A330. Gate opened at T-20m and we pushed back 19 minutes later. They also board 737s from the front & via stairs at the back simultaneously. If you are in the back half they divert you in the jetway down the stairs and you walk out across the tarmac to the rear door.

As long as the flight hasn't departed, you can cancel the AS award. Just under an hour shouldn't be a problem; it is still ~40 minutes before boarding.

James
Thank you! Like I said the biggest thing would be making the connection as I know clearing customs right in the morning can be a long time given a lot of international flights arrive at the same time, and then you have to move terminals etc. I'll give Alaska a call to confirm cancellation policy but I appreciate the boarding info! The earlier flight is on a A330, and currently booked on their 737.
Old May 28, 2022, 11:43 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
When I try to find AS award flights LAX-SYD, from Apr 11 all the way out to Apr 24, I am never offered QF flights. Just Korean or Singapore for Biz 125k or worse! (Apr 17 is what I really wanted.)
Which is very frustrating given all the posts I see. Do those dates work for you?

I just noticed that for DFW-SYD, QF is available on Apr 12 and 14, but not 13, or 15 and later. Is the 17th too far out for QF? Wait 3 days and maybe DFW-SYD on 17th will be available?

UPDATE: And now 19th is an option. Looks like every MWF except 17th. HOWEVER! On closer examination, all the routes are DFW-MEL-SYD, with the first leg in Econ!?!

So now I'm back to head-scratching. Advice?

Last edited by SpammersAreScum; May 28, 2022 at 12:40 pm
Old May 28, 2022, 11:59 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Thank you! Like I said the biggest thing would be making the connection as I know clearing customs right in the morning can be a long time given a lot of international flights arrive at the same time, and then you have to move terminals etc. I'll give Alaska a call to confirm cancellation policy but I appreciate the boarding info! The earlier flight is on a A330, and currently booked on their 737.
I'd recommend not checking in online btw - if your partner ticket is in checked in status, it can become more complicated to cancel it.
Flying for Fun likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.