Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
~Moderator note:~

We're lucky to have missydarlin as a long-standing member of our community. For those who don't know, Missy works for Alaska and has been gracious enough to serve as an unofficial liaison between us and her employer. (She's also an all-around sweetheart.) She's kindly offered to help clear up any confusion and answer any questions that we have in regards to the December 19th announcements from Alaska and associated changes to Mileage Plan.

In order to help her manage finding and answering your questions and keeping things readable around here, let's refrain from engaging in discussion in this thread. Please post only your questions and any directly-related follow up for Missy. If you have other commentary or responses to things posted here, let's keep those for other threads. (
This one's a good one to post your comments in.)

We will be deleting any off topic discussion as we see it, so please only post questions to this thread.

Thanks,
jackal and ryandc99
Co-Moderators, Alaska Airlines forum

~End Moderator Note~
Print Wikipost

Consolidated questions for Missy

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2016, 6:21 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Consolidated questions for Missy

If there's anything you'd like me to specifically address, post it here.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 7:21 am

Programs: Globalist, Marriott Plat, various sundry
I've noticed a bunch of Airlines are now eligible for extra "bonus miles" for flights after Dec 19 (for example, 100% extra in Business and 200% extra in First). Do those miles count towards Elite qualification?
Old Dec 19, 2016, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gmax58
I've noticed a bunch of Airlines are now eligible for extra "bonus miles" for flights after Dec 19 (for example, 100% extra in Business and 200% extra in First). Do those miles count towards Elite qualification?
The additional bonus miles do not count towards EQM
Old Dec 19, 2016, 7:27 am

So basically it's going to be harder to earn status but given more redeemable miles to compensate?

Did I miss an announcement for the elevate to Alaska exchange rate?
Old Dec 19, 2016, 7:27 am

Programs: HH Gold, IHG Gold
Missy, wondering if we will be able to use the BoA AS Visa companion ticket to purchase travel on the formerly Virgin America metal. If not now, any idea when?
Old Dec 19, 2016, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by G2244
Missy, wondering if we will be able to use the BoA AS Visa companion ticket to purchase travel on the formerly Virgin America metal. If not now, any idea when?
For the time being, VX flights being treated as a super special codeshare, so the companion certificate will not work.

I'm sure that will change at some point, but there is no date scheduled as of yet.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 7:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by crimsona
So basically it's going to be harder to earn status but given more redeemable miles to compensate?
As I read it, for instance for EK F:

1) 100% base miles + 50% class of service bonus = 150% Elite Qualifying Miles.
2) 100% base miles + 50% class of service bonus + 200% additional bonus = 350% regular miles.

So, no change with respect to earning status, just more regular miles?
Old Dec 19, 2016, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by crimsona

Did I miss an announcement for the elevate to Alaska exchange rate?
There will be an email going out later today, but the conversion is 1.3 AS to 1 VX

https://www.virginamerica.com/cms/el...laska-airlines

Last edited by missydarlin; Dec 19, 2016 at 8:04 am
Old Dec 19, 2016, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
As I read it, for instance for EK F:

1) 100% base miles + 50% class of service bonus = 150% Elite Qualifying Miles.
2) 100% base miles + 50% class of service bonus + 200% additional bonus = 350% regular miles.

So, no change with respect to earning status, just more regular miles?
Yes. Also, we've added some lower tier earning, effective today, to some of the partners (including EK) that weren't there before.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by missydarlin
The additional bonus miles do not count towards EQM
Hi Missy, can you clarify: How has the earning of additional class-of-service eqms for partner premium class travel changed? For example, I frequently fly Delta/AF/KLM/BA/American international itineraries that earn 25-100% additional premium class eqms, depending on the business or first fare bucket purchased. Has this changed, and if so, how? Thanks.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flytoeat
Hi Missy, can you clarify: How has the earning of additional class-of-service eqms for partner premium class travel changed? For example, I frequently fly Delta/AF/KLM/BA/American international itineraries that earn 25-100% additional premium class eqms, depending on the business or first fare bucket purchased. Has this changed, and if so, how? Thanks.
EQMs for partner travel haven't changed.

We have added an "additional bonus" to certain partners that is RDM only.

They are clearly defined on each of the partner airline charts, where they apply. Of the airlines you listed, only BA offers the additional bonus.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Do AS elites get charged baggage fees on VX or get complimentary access to Main Cabin Express? If so, when does that get fixed to make it closer to flying AS where those fees would be waived?
Old Dec 19, 2016, 7:46 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Hi Missy!

Are upgrades on award travel also available on partner award bookings that are operated by Alaska? I have a flight to Las Vegas booked with BA Avios on Alaska, that booked into W class, but I don't see the option to request an upgrade.

Thanks,

Neil
Old Dec 19, 2016, 7:49 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
For the modifications to the redemption award chart, are AS metal awards now leg-based (like Avois) or do they remain origin/destination based?

Specific cases, just as mathematical examples, all assuming low availability:

How many miles for a trip like LAX-SEA-EAT (954+99 miles, or 933 miles direct LAX-EAT)? Is it the new 7500 mile tier (for 701-1400 miles trips) or 12500 miles one way?

What about EAT-SEA-RDM (99+228 miles, or 222 miles direct)? Is that 5000, 10000, or 12500 miles?

What about ORD-SEA-LAX (1721+954 miles, or 1744 miles direct)? Is that 12500 (what it would be in the old system) or 15000 (ie two separate 7500 mile awards)?

I'm excited about the value possibilities with the reduced-mileage awards based on distance rather than just intra-state, but this is a potential concern.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Do AS elites get charged baggage fees on VX
Yes, at this time they do.

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
If so, when does that get fixed to make it closer to flying AS?
We'll be working to expand benefits for elites flying VX throughout 2017, but there is not currently a date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.