Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
~Moderator note:~

We're lucky to have missydarlin as a long-standing member of our community. For those who don't know, Missy works for Alaska and has been gracious enough to serve as an unofficial liaison between us and her employer. (She's also an all-around sweetheart.) She's kindly offered to help clear up any confusion and answer any questions that we have in regards to the December 19th announcements from Alaska and associated changes to Mileage Plan.

In order to help her manage finding and answering your questions and keeping things readable around here, let's refrain from engaging in discussion in this thread. Please post only your questions and any directly-related follow up for Missy. If you have other commentary or responses to things posted here, let's keep those for other threads. (
This one's a good one to post your comments in.)

We will be deleting any off topic discussion as we see it, so please only post questions to this thread.

Thanks,
jackal and ryandc99
Co-Moderators, Alaska Airlines forum

~End Moderator Note~
Print Wikipost

Consolidated questions for Missy

Old Dec 19, 2016, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by missydarlin
Marketing math is fun!

We also said save up to 30% on award travel - basing it on the intra-state drop from 7.5K to 5K, when in actuality, we also have some 12.5K awards dropping to 5K.
And 7.5k to 5k is 33%, so even that is more than 30%!
Old Dec 19, 2016, 12:57 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
Missy, could you look into this as perhaps something was missed here. I scanned the entire schedule and there are ZERO options for a 5,000 point redemption on YEG to SEA. I did see an odd 7,500 YEG to LAX via SEA but very rare indeed. If 5,000 is a redemption level then it needs to be available at some point over the next year of schedule! . Oh and YEG-SEA is 557 miles IIRC.
I have looked at numerous routings today and find the 5,000 award level almost non-existent.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by ashill
BA A class is going from 250% miles to 450% miles (100% base + 150% bonus + 200% additional bonus). That's 80% more miles.
I was about to ask about this too, thanks for clarifying.

So e.g. BA I now gives

150% EQM
250% RDM, plus 50-125% elite?

That's really good, especially as AA is gutting their RDM earnings.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 1:06 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
I have looked at numerous routings today and find the 5,000 award level almost non-existent.
I just picked a random date - Jan 18 - and was able to find 5K awards in GEG-SEA, BOI-SEA, and OAK-SEA
Old Dec 19, 2016, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by missydarlin
I just picked a random date - Jan 18 - and was able to find 5K awards in GEG-SEA, BOI-SEA, and OAK-SEA
As well as SEA-YVR, SEA-YYJ, SEA-SMF, SEA-SJC, SEA-SFO, SEA-RDM, on a different random date (March 12).
Old Dec 19, 2016, 1:59 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
As well as SEA-YVR, SEA-YYJ, SEA-SMF, SEA-SJC, SEA-SFO, SEA-RDM, on a different random date (March 12).
Looking at this more, it appears that some cities simply have no 5,000 mile level awards at all ever. For example, YKM-SEA has none for the entire year of 2017. Really that doesn't bug me that much, what does bug me is up until today there were lots of 7,500 mile intra-state awards, now the cheapest award is 10,000.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
Looking at this more, it appears that some cities simply have no 5,000 mile level awards at all ever. For example, YKM-SEA has none for the entire year of 2017. Really that doesn't bug me that much, what does bug me is up until today there were lots of 7,500 mile intra-state awards, now the cheapest award is 10,000.
As far as I can tell, it's based on low fares filed in a market (G/R/T). No low fare, no low level.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 2:25 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Does the low-fare guarantee apply to Virgin flights as well? I'm seeing flights priced higher on the AS site than the VX site.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 2:31 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Issue with VX number link to AS number

VX sent an email indicating a new AS MP number would be generated on Jan 9, EXCEPT there was a link at the bottom indicating the ability to link to an existing AS MP account by Dec 26.

The link resolved to as AS MP login page. After logging in, a page showed a box with the AS MP account name and number and space for the Elevate name, but no actual name in the Elevate fields. There was a confirmation button asking whether these accounts should be linked.

Despite multiple tries from the source email link, no name ever populated in the Elevate fields. Since this effort is being managed on an AS web page, I asked this question here. Wondering if Missy has any info on this issue, or if others have had this issue as well?
Old Dec 19, 2016, 2:43 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by jigri2003
Since this effort is being managed on an AS web page, I asked this question here. Wondering if Missy has any info on this issue, or if others have had this issue as well?
Interesting. I got a similar email from VX, but with no link to consolidate current accounts. Was just told that's an option starting on Jan 9. Here's the key info in that email:

"On January 9, Elevate members will be receiving a Mileage PlanTM number, but based on our records, you're already enjoying the benefits of Alaska's award-winning Mileage Plan. If we got it right, there's no need to contact us. But, if either of these account numbers are wrong, please let us know by December 26, so we can update our records accordingly, and assign you a Mileage Plan number if needed.

Elevate: *****
Mileage Plan: *****

Rest assured, your Elevate and Mileage Plan accounts will both remain active. Your balances aren't going anywhere, and in fact, you can continue to earn Elevate points or Mileage Plan miles when flying on either Virgin America or Alaska Airlines. Starting January 9, you will be able to convert Elevate points into Alaska Mileage Plan miles at a rate of 1.3 Mileage Plan miles per Elevate point. By converting your points to miles, you can access award travel to over 900 destinations with Alaska Airlines and Alaska Global Partners."
Old Dec 19, 2016, 2:48 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by lax.sea.jnu
Does the low-fare guarantee apply to Virgin flights as well? I'm seeing flights priced higher on the AS site than the VX site.
I'm wondering about this too--a VX itinerary I'd been looking at (but hoping to pay for using some wallet credit) is running almost 2.5x as expensive on the AS site.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jinglish
I'm wondering about this too--a VX itinerary I'd been looking at (but hoping to pay for using some wallet credit) is running almost 2.5x as expensive on the AS site.
VX is being treated as a codeshare, so it's my understanding that you wouldn't be able to use wallet credits
Old Dec 19, 2016, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lax.sea.jnu
No.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 3:12 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by jigri2003
VX sent an email indicating a new AS MP number would be generated on Jan 9, EXCEPT there was a link at the bottom indicating the ability to link to an existing AS MP account by Dec 26.

The link resolved to as AS MP login page. After logging in, a page showed a box with the AS MP account name and number and space for the Elevate name, but no actual name in the Elevate fields. There was a confirmation button asking whether these accounts should be linked.

Despite multiple tries from the source email link, no name ever populated in the Elevate fields. Since this effort is being managed on an AS web page, I asked this question here. Wondering if Missy has any info on this issue, or if others have had this issue as well?
The link worked for me. Are your full names exactly the same on both accounts?

N.B. I'm an expiring Elevate Silver so I was glad to read this (although matching to Gold as an MVPG would be better):

"In addition, your 2016 Elevate elite status will automatically be extended through 2017."
Old Dec 19, 2016, 3:14 pm

If the VX to AS status match is Gold to Gold and not to Gold 75k, I wonder what benefit is there of having your status miles go to VX. Wouldn't it be best to earn status on AS so that you have a chance of getting Gold 75k versus the other way which would limit you to Gold for both?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.