Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
~Moderator note:~

We're lucky to have missydarlin as a long-standing member of our community. For those who don't know, Missy works for Alaska and has been gracious enough to serve as an unofficial liaison between us and her employer. (She's also an all-around sweetheart.) She's kindly offered to help clear up any confusion and answer any questions that we have in regards to the December 19th announcements from Alaska and associated changes to Mileage Plan.

In order to help her manage finding and answering your questions and keeping things readable around here, let's refrain from engaging in discussion in this thread. Please post only your questions and any directly-related follow up for Missy. If you have other commentary or responses to things posted here, let's keep those for other threads. (
This one's a good one to post your comments in.)

We will be deleting any off topic discussion as we see it, so please only post questions to this thread.

Thanks,
jackal and ryandc99
Co-Moderators, Alaska Airlines forum

~End Moderator Note~
Print Wikipost

Consolidated questions for Missy

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2016, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
"Customers may continue to book awards on DL through April 30, 2017."

Does this mean that award bookings using AS miles can only be made for travel before 4/30/17, or that all ticketing must be completed by 4/30/17 but dates beyond that can still be ticketed with AS miles?

Secondly, if we already have DL travel booked for post-4/30/17, but do not have our AS numbers affiliated with the bookings...will those earn as if the FF# was added at the time of booking?

Last edited by PV_Premier; Dec 19, 2016 at 11:07 am
Old Dec 19, 2016, 7:53 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by missamo80
Hi Missy!

Are upgrades on award travel also available on partner award bookings that are operated by Alaska? I have a flight to Las Vegas booked with BA Avios on Alaska, that booked into W class, but I don't see the option to request an upgrade.

Thanks,

Neil
The keepers of that info are not in the office this early, but my gut answer is no.

My gut was incorrect. Yes, they are.

Last edited by missydarlin; Dec 19, 2016 at 10:56 am
Old Dec 19, 2016, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ashill
For the modifications to the redemption award chart, are AS metal awards now leg-based (like Avois) or do they remain origin/destination based?

Specific cases, just as mathematical examples, all assuming low availability:

How many miles for a trip like LAX-SEA-EAT (954+99 miles, or 933 miles direct LAX-EAT)? Is it the new 7500 mile tier (for 701-1400 miles trips) or 12500 miles one way?

What about EAT-SEA-RDM (99+228 miles, or 222 miles direct)? Is that 5000, 10000, or 12500 miles?

What about ORD-SEA-LAX (1721+954 miles, or 1744 miles direct)? Is that 12500 (what it would be in the old system) or 15000 (ie two separate 7500 mile awards)?

I'm excited about the value possibilities with the reduced-mileage awards based on distance rather than just intra-state, but this is a potential concern.
Did you try actually shopping for any of those routes?

If there are no stopovers, it should price as a direct flight, prodivded there is availability.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 7:57 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by missamo80
Are upgrades on award travel also available on partner award bookings that are operated by Alaska? I have a flight to Las Vegas booked with BA Avios on Alaska, that booked into W class, but I don't see the option to request an upgrade.
That seems very unlikely, since BA doesn't allow upgrades on award tickets for any other partners, including their own frequent flyer program or their joint venture partner AA.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 7:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Missy: So basically status quo on status match to VX? Also, could you clarify how many RDMs we will earn on VX as a 75K?
Old Dec 19, 2016, 7:58 am

Programs: Marriott: Platinum/LT Silver, AS: MVP
Originally Posted by missydarlin
There will be an email going out later today, but the conversion is 1.3 VX to 1 AS

https://www.virginamerica.com/cms/el...laska-airlines
Hi Missy, that link states:

"you'll receive more detail on how you can convert your Elevate points to Alaska Mileage Plan miles at a rate of 1.3 Mileage Plan miles per Elevate point."

Is it 1.3 VX to 1 AS or 1 VX to 1.3 AS?
Old Dec 19, 2016, 8:04 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Did you try actually shopping for any of those routes?

If there are no stopovers, it should price as a direct flight, prodivded there is availability.
That would be radical. Although I appreciate it when rules like this are spelled out, not figured out by trial and error.

Indeed, LAX-SEA-EAT is 7500, so it seems that the award is not by leg. ^

There is one oddity: one of the LAX-SEA-EAT options on the random date I chose (1/17/2017, flights AS 435/2158) came to 10000 miles + $12. That one has an overnight in SEA. I don't see how one gets 10000 miles out of the award chart, and with $12 in cash, it's clearly not money+miles. There are a few other itineraries that come to the same 10k price.

Even stopovers don't really explain this: LAX-SEA should be 7500 miles, not 5000, so LAX-SEA, SEA-EAT should be 5000+7500=12500.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ejg930
Hi Missy, that link states:

"you'll receive more detail on how you can convert your Elevate points to Alaska Mileage Plan miles at a rate of 1.3 Mileage Plan miles per Elevate point."

Is it 1.3 VX to 1 AS or 1 VX to 1.3 AS?
its 1 VX to 1.3 AS. I corrected my post
Old Dec 19, 2016, 8:07 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
The keepers of that info are not in the office this early, but my gut answer is no.
I agree with your suspicions

Neil
Old Dec 19, 2016, 8:11 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Not completely clear to me (after reading the email, the blog post, and the FAQ) is: What happens to award travel booked on Delta after May 1, 2017?

There is a general statement on the announcement page that "All currently booked award travel on Delta Air Lines will be honored, but changes will not be allowed for travel on or after May 1, 2017."

And from the FAQ on the blog: "However, it is important to note that for travel after April 30, 2017, travelers will need to work directly with the operating carrier to address and accommodate any customer-initiated changes."

A link that promises specific detail currently leads, at least right now, to a 404 page. ("For specific details on how this may impact your future travel with Delta Air Lines, please visit alaskaair.com/Delta.")

Reading the above statements strictly, I'd assume that if I want to cancel or change a Delta award ticket booked with AS miles for any date after May 1, 2017, I'd be SOL. In other words, would that award be locked in stone, perhaps subject to Delta's rules for award travel.

For example, I currently have a pair of first class award tickets to Hawaii using AS miles on DL for September, 2017. My options perhaps are:
- Dec 19 through Apr 30: Change or cancel per current AS Mileage Plan rules. (That is, a Gold can re-deposit or re-book without penalty.)
- May 1 through date of travel: Deal directly with Delta? No changes or cancellation? Something else?

Can Missy fill in the blanks or confirm what happens with award travel already booked, but for a date after May 1?
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jediwho
Missy: So basically status quo on status match to VX? Also, could you clarify how many RDMs we will earn on VX as a 75K?
I'm not really sure what you're asking?

Earning for VX is the same as any other earning, except that we count it in the same bucket as AS only flights, rather than credit it as a partner.

I don't recall previous award nomenclature using the term "non-refundable", although maybe it did. Any change to our ability to reinstate any awards, either 60 days out for everyone, or anytime for MVPG/75K redemptions?
Old Dec 19, 2016, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
Not clear to me (after reading the email, the blog post, and the FAQ) is: What happens to award travel booked on Delta after May 1, 2017?

There is a general statement on the announcement page that "All currently booked award travel on Delta Air Lines will be honored, but changes will not be allowed for travel on or after May 1, 2017."

And from the FAQ on the blog: "However, it is important to note that for travel after April 30, 2017, travelers will need to work directly with the operating carrier to address and accommodate any customer-initiated changes."

A link that promises specific detail currently leads, at least right now, to a 404 page. ("For specific details on how this may impact your future travel with Delta Air Lines, please visit alaskaair.com/Delta.")

Reading the above statements strictly, I'd assume that if I want to cancel or change a Delta award ticket booked with AS miles for any date after May 1, 2017, I'd be SOL. In other words, would that award be locked in stone, perhaps subject to Delta's rules for award travel.

For example, I currently have a pair of first class award tickets to Hawaii using AS miles on DL for September, 2017. My options perhaps are:
- Dec 19 through Apr 30: Change or cancel per current AS Mileage Plan rules. (That is, a Gold can re-deposit or re-book without penalty.)
- May 1 through date of travel: Deal directly with Delta? No changes or cancellation? Something else?

Can Missy (or someone with AS) fill in the blanks or confirm what happens with award travel already booked, but for a date after May 1?
That was worded poorly on the page, and has been corrected.

www.alaskaair.com.delta goes to the DL partner page. But you have to type the www.

You can make changes to award travel on DL, regardless of date of travel, up to April 30, 2017. After that, you can cancel it, but not make voluntary changes (as opposed to schedule misconnect kind of changes)
Old Dec 19, 2016, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I have an AA coach award (MIA-TPA-SEA) with an AS segment (TPA-SEA).

I pull it up on the AS iOS app and tap my name. It says "Waitlisted for First Class" on that screen...
Old Dec 19, 2016, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flytoeat
I don't recall previous award nomenclature using the term "non-refundable", although maybe it did. Any change to our ability to reinstate any awards, either 60 days out for everyone, or anytime for MVPG/75K redemptions?
It did.

No changes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.