Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DoubleWidesFly
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments)
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(as of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)
Class of Service One-way Round-trip

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SEA, SFO, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)
Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2019, 8:20 am

Thanks for the tip!
Old Jun 21, 2019, 6:26 pm

So you can't have a stopover anywhere outside of Tokyo? LAX NRT KIX (stop) BKK doesn't seem to work
Old Jun 21, 2019, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by yerffej201
So you can't have a stopover anywhere outside of Tokyo? LAX NRT KIX (stop) BKK doesn't seem to work
You can. LAX-KIX (stop) KIX-BKK works fine online. Also, LAX-NRT (stop) KIX-BKK or LAX-KIX (stop) TYO-BKK.

Perhaps part of your problem is JL does not fly NRT-KIX? You would need to fly NRT-ITM (Osaka Itami)

It may not be possible to get LAX-NRT-ITM (stop) KIX-BKK booked completely online but I will bet it could be done either with an agent (less likely) or more likely with some creative booking using the multi-city tool plus an agent. Perhaps book LAX-NRT-ITM online then call in to add KIX-BKK?
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 9:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
You can stopover at the gateway city either in Asia or the US but not both. I flew JL J/F HKG-HND-JFK/2 months/JFK-LAX-PVR All in Saver A on AS for 70K. I also had GMP-HND-JFK-LAX-GDL in JL J/F with JFK-LAX-GDL all in AS F. I didn't use a stopover but could have had one at either HND or JFK. There is a lot of flexibility with JL & multi-city online bookings. I have also changed a final leg online without issue. Mexico or Hawaii after a stopover, especially if you are in a gateway city, is a bonus.

Once you fly beyond the gateway city your award terminates.

James
Old Jun 21, 2019, 10:55 pm

I want a stopover in CTS. So something like YVR SEA LAX NRT CTS HND SIN. I don't feel like that's allowed.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
You can. LAX-KIX (stop) KIX-BKK works fine online. Also, LAX-NRT (stop) KIX-BKK or LAX-KIX (stop) TYO-BKK.

Perhaps part of your problem is JL does not fly NRT-KIX? You would need to fly NRT-ITM (Osaka Itami)

It may not be possible to get LAX-NRT-ITM (stop) KIX-BKK booked completely online but I will bet it could be done either with an agent (less likely) or more likely with some creative booking using the multi-city tool plus an agent. Perhaps book LAX-NRT-ITM online then call in to add KIX-BKK?
Yep, got LAX NRT ITM/KIX BKK to work.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 3:49 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL PL
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
You can stopover at the gateway city either in Asia or the US but not both. I flew JL J/F HKG-HND-JFK/2 months/JFK-LAX-PVR All in Saver A on AS for 70K. I also had GMP-HND-JFK-LAX-GDL in JL J/F with JFK-LAX-GDL all in AS F. I didn't use a stopover but could have had one at either HND or JFK. There is a lot of flexibility with JL & multi-city online bookings. I have also changed a final leg online without issue. Mexico or Hawaii after a stopover, especially if you are in a gateway city, is a bonus.

Once you fly beyond the gateway city your award terminates.

James
very interesting. I looked at 1/15 next year PEK-JFK, via overnight stay in HND. Then when try to add a stop-over from JFK back to the Bay, for example 2/21, JL option magically disappeared...
Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:42 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by lonelygod
very interesting. I looked at 1/15 next year PEK-JFK, via overnight stay in HND. Then when try to add a stop-over from JFK back to the Bay, for example 2/21, JL option magically disappeared...

The website doesn't want to handle it so you'll have to do at least part of the booking with a call. I think the best bet is to book part of the trip with multi-city then call in within 24 hours for a free change to add the rest. I would suggest booking 1/16 HND-JFK plus 2/21 NYC-SFO using multi-city online then call in to add say you will be departing from PEK and want to add PEK-HND on 1/15, and if they try to claim you cannot have a second stopover in HND explain that it is an international itinerary with less than a 24 hour CONNECTION, it is not a stopover in HND.

The other way to go would be to book PEK-JFK online then try to add JFK-SFO by calling in but I suspect you might get some pushback from some agents trying to claim JFK-SFO is backtracking which is not allowed (ignoring the fact that the website has no problem with it).
Old Jun 22, 2019, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I want a stopover in CTS. So something like YVR SEA LAX NRT CTS HND SIN. I don't feel like that's allowed.
You’re transiting TYO twice, so AS thinks you’re taking a side trip and backtracking (which is in fact what you are doing, not an en route stopover). AS is pretty liberal for bookings but this isn’t the old AV booking engine.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by lonelygod

Have you tried from EWR? Open Jaws permitted. In the case of my itinerary, I originally terminated in LAX without a JFK stopover. Ultimately I was going to PHX. I changed the last leg JFK-LAX online after purchase to JFK-LAX-PVR with the two month stopover. I also had an overnight (layover) in HND. Online collected the additional Mexican taxes. I purchased a JFK-PDX-SEA-PHX for the following day and was able to apply one GGU to all three segments. The PDX connection was exactly 4 hours.

I have also seen J disappear when trying to connect beyond the gateway particularly in NA. While not JL, I recently booked QF PER-MEL-LAX all in J. When I tried adding LAX-SEA-YLW for the same day arriving in LAX the QF TPAC J disappeared. Adding a 2 day stopover in LAX the QF TPAC J returned and offered me A space on the AS LAX-SEA segment all for 55K. Thank you very much.

Some of the routings AS offers on Partner awards are pretty amazing. If you purchase an award and then play with the award already book, it seems to offer great flexibility. If it doesn't work and AS can't help, you can cancel. If you have a fee waiver, even better as inventories are always changing and you aren't in a rush. If you ultimately cancel, you are out the $12.50 partner booking fee; about half the cost of a NYC Martini.

James
Old Jun 22, 2019, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

You’re transiting TYO twice, so AS thinks you’re taking a side trip and backtracking (which is in fact what you are doing, not an en route stopover). AS is pretty liberal for bookings but this isn’t the old AV booking engine.
LAX KIX CTS HND BKK won't work either, so it's not that.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 11:50 am

CTS is not a gateway city so you can't stopover there enroute to BKK. If you fly beyond the gateway to CTS, your award is finished! Your options would be to do a stopover in KIK, HND or NRT and purchase a side trip to CTS or book to CTS and purchase CTS-BKK as either revenue or another award ASIA-ASIA.

James
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
It’s still very obviously a side trip as a “stopover” you’re trying to squeeze in, not an en-route stopover. My guess is AS only allows TYO and KIX en route stopovers because those are the only NA-Asia logical connection points for JL- this isn’t unusual (I couldn’t get BKK as a CX stopover on an AS award back when BKK was a real CX focus city). Stop in one of them and spring for the Avios to do the internal JL flights, or take a bullet train?
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL PL
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
The website doesn't want to handle it so you'll have to do at least part of the booking with a call. I think the best bet is to book part of the trip with multi-city then call in within 24 hours for a free change to add the rest. I would suggest booking 1/16 HND-JFK plus 2/21 NYC-SFO using multi-city online then call in to add say you will be departing from PEK and want to add PEK-HND on 1/15, and if they try to claim you cannot have a second stopover in HND explain that it is an international itinerary with less than a 24 hour CONNECTION, it is not a stopover in HND.

The other way to go would be to book PEK-JFK online then try to add JFK-SFO by calling in but I suspect you might get some pushback from some agents trying to claim JFK-SFO is backtracking which is not allowed (ignoring the fact that the website has no problem with it).
thanks for the suggestion! I called before making the reservation PEK-JFK, and the phone agent said she can only do booking showed on the website... will try to call to add JFK-Bay on Monday because seems like competent agents only work during weekdays (at least my experience on DL...)
Old Jun 22, 2019, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Have you tried from EWR? Open Jaws permitted. In the case of my itinerary, I originally terminated in LAX without a JFK stopover. Ultimately I was going to PHX. I changed the last leg JFK-LAX online after purchase to JFK-LAX-PVR with the two month stopover. I also had an overnight (layover) in HND. Online collected the additional Mexican taxes. I purchased a JFK-PDX-SEA-PHX for the following day and was able to apply one GGU to all three segments. The PDX connection was exactly 4 hours.

I have also seen J disappear when trying to connect beyond the gateway particularly in NA. While not JL, I recently booked QF PER-MEL-LAX all in J. When I tried adding LAX-SEA-YLW for the same day arriving in LAX the QF TPAC J disappeared. Adding a 2 day stopover in LAX the QF TPAC J returned and offered me A space on the AS LAX-SEA segment all for 55K. Thank you very much.

Some of the routings AS offers on Partner awards are pretty amazing. If you purchase an award and then play with the award already book, it seems to offer great flexibility. If it doesn't work and AS can't help, you can cancel. If you have a fee waiver, even better as inventories are always changing and you aren't in a rush. If you ultimately cancel, you are out the $12.50 partner booking fee; about half the cost of a NYC Martini.

James
Do you mind tell me what month do you see Per-Lax all in J? I only see Per-Mel in J and Mel-Lax in premium economy? not sure what i did work but don't see anything in the calendar for all J? thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.