FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1807279-definitive-booking-japan-airlines-jl-using-miles-thread-2019-earlier.html)

skimthetrees Feb 7, 2019 11:03 am

Originally Posted by KnownasEric (Post 30750315)
I haven't seen JL F that far out but I've been able to book J when the seats open - but it is spotty. It's not the same but you could do that and wait for F to open until close-up. I've never flown either class so I can only assume, but I'd rather just keep the 10K mile difference and use it somewhere else.

JL F does regularly open 2F at the beginning of schedule but these seats are usually taken very quickly and due to the AS IT bug/feature blacking out JL F for a few days near the end of schedule it is difficult to book them with AS miles.

merridius Feb 7, 2019 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees (Post 30750631)
JL F does regularly open 2F at the beginning of schedule but these seats are usually taken very quickly and due to the AS IT bug/feature blacking out JL F for a few days near the end of schedule it is difficult to book them with AS miles.

plus from what i have gathered upthread there is a good chance JL takes the seats back even before AS is able to see them... and that it's not guaranteed held seats are released back to partner inventory. I feel like im losing hope of snagging to 2 F seats us-asia

skimthetrees Feb 7, 2019 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by merridius (Post 30751262)
plus from what i have gathered upthread there is a good chance JL takes the seats back even before AS is able to see them... and that it's not guaranteed held seats are released back to partner inventory. I feel like im losing hope of snagging to 2 F seats us-asia

I just did a little checking and yes it looks pretty bad. JL appears to be aggressively taking back F seats near schedule open before they appear on AS and this is happening every day of the week whereas 6 months ago they were not taking a couple of days midweek until a week or two from schedule open now it is within a few days and once they take them back it looks like they only release them to the JL waitlist for a few months and only then if the JL waitlists do not take up whatever they have allotted to that point do they make space available for partners again. The route I am checking looks to happen in the 7-8 month out range and the bad news on that is that they are releasing more space earlier on than they used to leaving less space available for the up until now bountiful last couple of weeks before the flight :(

shosana Feb 10, 2019 5:52 am

So I did hold a reservation 01/01/2019 from Tokyo NRT to ORD for 2 F when it opened up and it dropped off on 02/09/2019 and it went back to the inventory, if anyone is still looking to book a flight back on New Year. I am not sure when they loaded up the space back but my guess is 8 PM EST when they release the award flight. Anyway I am tempting to try one more spot to see if the award flight get return to JAL and they will publish it.

Flying for Fun Feb 10, 2019 8:56 am

Originally Posted by shosana (Post 30760463)
So I did hold a reservation 01/01/209 from Tokyo NRT to ORD for 2 F when it opened up and it dropped off on 02/09/2019 and it went back to the inventory, if anyone is still looking to book a flight back on New Year. I am not sure when they loaded up the space back but my guess is 8 PM EST when they release the award flight. Anyway I am tempting to try one more spot to see if the award flight get return to JAL and they will publish it.

As outlined in my previous post, I cancelled two F DEL-TKO-ORD-PDX-PHX awards and they immediately returned to inventory and were bookable on AS.

James

skimthetrees Feb 10, 2019 1:07 pm

There was one report that F did not return when they cancelled. Perhaps they always go back but do not show up immediately on AS because of cached inventory issues?

What I have seen regularly is that if 2F are released at schedule open and if not claimed within a few days JL will take them back and release them at some later date, most likely to a JAL waitlist.

soy Feb 12, 2019 7:57 am

JL extending their booking window to 360 days, will make it harder for AS due to their 330day EOS
JAL Group - PRESS RELEASES - Reservation Start Date for International Flights to be Changed to 360 days prior to Departure

skimthetrees Feb 12, 2019 9:49 am

Originally Posted by soy (Post 30768761)
JL extending their booking window to 360 days, will make it harder for AS due to their 330day EOS
JAL Group - PRESS RELEASES - Reservation Start Date for International Flights to be Changed to 360 days prior to Departure

Well that's going to hurt.

merridius Feb 12, 2019 11:51 am

i randomly checked the calendar at like 130am and somehow 2 F showed up 330 days out JFK-NRT, snagged immediately for my parents :D :D

now they want to add an intra asia flight... this is going to cost me in change fees...

skimthetrees Feb 12, 2019 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by merridius (Post 30769761)
i randomly checked the calendar at like 130am and somehow 2 F showed up 330 days out JFK-NRT, snagged immediately for my parents :D :D

now they want to add an intra asia flight... this is going to cost me in change fees...

You do get a free change within 24 hours of first booking.

merridius Feb 12, 2019 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees (Post 30769889)
You do get a free change within 24 hours of first booking.

it's a multi-day stop over so i'll only be able to make the change in a few days, plus checking now i can't see any of those flights at the end of schedule so it'll probably be a week before i can book those flights :(

LIH Prem Feb 13, 2019 9:28 pm

Just booked an itinerary on the web site for Jan 9, 2020. Can see the rez and pick seats, etc on JALs web site, got the eticket numbers and receipt etc from alaska, including AS and JL record locators, but can't view the itinerary on Alaska's web site or in the app, just get an error. Right now it's the only JL itinerary I have. I have a CX itinerary, no problem viewing it.

BTW, is it possible to waitlist for business class when it's a mixed cabin itinerary?
ETA: Agent said "no". I guess I have to monitor it manually. I don't know of any way to automate JL award search other than write your own I guess.

ETA 2/14: I think they didn't charge the 12.50 x 2 award fee until today, though they charged the taxes yesterday. Anyway, it was either that or end of schedule issue, but I can see the itinerary in my Alaska account now. Nonetheless, it was kind of odd, I had received the confirmation email yesterday and got another one today after the $25 charge went through.

-David

skimthetrees Feb 13, 2019 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by LIH Prem (Post 30776199)
BTW, is it possible to waitlist for business class when it's a mixed cabin itinerary?
ETA: Agent said "no". I guess I have to monitor it manually. I don't know of any way to automate JL award search other than write your own I guess.

-David

I don't think so.
Award Nexus?

rufflesinc Feb 14, 2019 5:10 am

Originally Posted by soy (Post 30768761)

will result in more shenanigans where people book with BA avios at 360 days, as with QF and CX, then cancel and rebook with AS/AA at 330 days

nothing.sg Feb 14, 2019 7:14 am

Hi guys, i'm considering to purchase miles from Alaska Air for the first time and Alaska Air is currently selling miles till 23rd Feb 2019 at 40% discount.

Any idea if i could purchase say 50,400 miles x 2 separate transactions during this sale = 100,800 miles in total by 23rd Feb?

I understand that the t&c does not allow one account/member to purchase more than 150,000 miles in a year.