Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DoubleWidesFly
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments)
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(as of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)
Class of Service One-way Round-trip

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SEA, SFO, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)
Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2019, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
I think the proper term is "Direct Access" but some agents refer to it as a manual booking so maybe mention both and they should know what you are talking about. They are told not to use it without a good reason and it always requires supervisor approval IME but for some JL changes I have found it to be the only way they could process it.
thanks ... I've jumped thru a lot of hoops to book awards but the JL/AS is a new one!
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:02 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Been trying to piece together an award from any gateway US city to TYO and then on to HKG. When searching for the TYO > HKG segment there is zero availability in March or April and only 4 dates in February, all this year.

Is this pretty typical for T-90? I know there is the cherry blossom in the spring, but seams pretty tight still in Feb and March.

Is there much of a chance of JL opening some J awards within the next several weeks?

If nothing pans out, my other option would be to book an Emirates J award from LAX > DXB > HKG for 105K miles. A good alternative, but I feel the JL F segment from US to TYO is a great flight too. We have flown the JL segment before, never flown the EK J segment though. Any thoughts on comparing EK J to JL F
Old Feb 2, 2019, 3:24 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by tpsmith82
Been trying to piece together an award from any gateway US city to TYO and then on to HKG. When searching for the TYO > HKG segment there is zero availability in March or April and only 4 dates in February, all this year.

Is this pretty typical for T-90? I know there is the cherry blossom in the spring, but seams pretty tight still in Feb and March.

Is there much of a chance of JL opening some J awards within the next several weeks?

If nothing pans out, my other option would be to book an Emirates J award from LAX > DXB > HKG for 105K miles. A good alternative, but I feel the JL F segment from US to TYO is a great flight too. We have flown the JL segment before, never flown the EK J segment though. Any thoughts on comparing EK J to JL F
It looks pretty bleak right now. Anything on CX? Are you stopping in TYO or just connecting? There does appear to be a couple of married segment dates available if you are not stopping. 4/2 YVR-HKG, 4/3 JFK-HKG, for example.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:22 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

It looks pretty bleak right now. Anything on CX? Are you stopping in TYO or just connecting? There does appear to be a couple of married segment dates available if you are not stopping. 4/2 YVR-HKG, 4/3 JFK-HKG, for example.
Not stopping over in TYO, although if I had to stop for a day or two to make it work that would be fine.

Now reading my original post I see I did say any US gateway city. Guess I should mention if I do fly JL I would want the transpacific flight to be in 1st. So that leaves SFO, LAX, ORD and JFK, correct?

If going to fly in J I feel like my option with EK would be a better experience. Might be a bit longer itinerary, but if feel the soft and hard product probobly better on EK.

As far as CX, I haven't looked too much. I would love to try thier product, but my understanding is its near impossible to get 2 F award tickets. But a good suggestion still, I'll have to start checking them too. How would you rate CX transpacific J product? Better or worse than EK or AS?
Old Feb 2, 2019, 7:13 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
I've found CX J to be very good on the A350...
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

Been that way forever. DEL prices differently than PEK, ICN or BKK, same as NRT.
BKK is SE Asia, so 65K is valid. Points north of SE Asia should be at 60K.

Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:55 pm

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by Repooc17
BKK is SE Asia, so 65K is valid. Points north of SE Asia should be at 60K.

Yes, but for some reason China falls into the SE Asia category so requires more points.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 6:45 pm

Hi, I am very new to this sub and been reading pages after pages how to book JAL with AS miles. and to my understanding is that, the the first 5 days of JAL releasing the award seats (330 days) AS wont be able to see the availability. So if I can hold the award with AA miles and then drop it after 5 days, will it go back to the inventory and Alaska can see or I should just call Alaska and politely mention the direct access manual booking to look for the award?

Sorry if this question has been raised and I am trying to learn the rope.

Thank you in advance.
tobikosan likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by shosana
Hi, I am very new to this sub and been reading pages after pages how to book JAL with AS miles. and to my understanding is that, the the first 5 days of JAL releasing the award seats (330 days) AS wont be able to see the availability. So if I can hold the award with AA miles and then drop it after 5 days, will it go back to the inventory and Alaska can see or I should just call Alaska and politely mention the direct access manual booking to look for the award?

Sorry if this question has been raised and I am trying to learn the rope.

Thank you in advance.
It is a bit more involved. You can use the calendar workaround to get J availability through +328 days. From the homepage select advanced search and do a calendar search then you should be able to see J availability through +328 days, or at least that's what I am seeing right now. F does not show up until closer in even with the calendar workaround and by then the seats are usually taken. Selecting the calendar after doing a simple date search will not show J through +328, you must start with a calendar search.

F is different. Evidence in the past showed JAL removing F availability for most days of the week after a couple of days so if holding F with another program for more than a day or two seats may not be released back into inventory when cancelled, and of less concern JL members who waitlist will get seats before they return to inventory but I would think waitlists are not common at schedule open. I am not sure if JL removing inventory applies to J as well. It used to be JL would not take back F seats on Tuesday or Wednesday IIRC but I do not know if that still holds.

A direct access booking might be a workaround if you can convince an agent to do it. Please report back if you have success with this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 12:37 am

Programs: NZ
It is a bit more involved. You can use the calendar workaround to get J availability through +328 days. From the homepage select advanced search and do a calendar search then you should be able to see J availability through +328 days, or at least that's what I am seeing right now. F does not show up until closer in even with the calendar workaround and by then the seats are usually taken. Selecting the calendar after doing a simple date search will not show J through +328, you must start with a calendar search.

F is different. Evidence in the past showed JAL removing F availability for most days of the week after a couple of days so if holding F with another program for more than a day or two seats may not be released back into inventory when cancelled, and of less concern JL members who waitlist will get seats before they return to inventory but I would think waitlists are not common at schedule open. I am not sure if JL removing inventory applies to J as well. It used to be JL would not take back F seats on Tuesday or Wednesday IIRC but I do not know if that still holds.

A direct access booking might be a workaround if you can convince an agent to do it. Please report back if you have success with this.
I have also been trying to find if there are any patterns for booking JL F TPAC (I'm going to ORD).

So far I have found better availability if connecting from another point in Asia, ie CGK/NRT/ORD. I can find NRT/ORD in F in this case, but not for NRT/ORD as a standalone sector. This is kind of OK for me although I would have preferred a stop in Tokyo.

Also, Tuesdays and Wednesdays definitely seem to be the best days for getting an F seat, at least at end of schedule.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by minz56
I have also been trying to find if there are any patterns for booking JL F TPAC (I'm going to ORD).

So far I have found better availability if connecting from another point in Asia, ie CGK/NRT/ORD. I can find NRT/ORD in F in this case, but not for NRT/ORD as a standalone sector. This is kind of OK for me although I would have preferred a stop in Tokyo.

Also, Tuesdays and Wednesdays definitely seem to be the best days for getting an F seat, at least at end of schedule.
Perhaps this is because of the AS JAL "Dead-Zone" near the end of schedule? You may be picking a departure from CGK one day away from the dead zone and maybe the NRT-ORD connecting flight is in the dead-zone the next day (< 24 hours) but since the first segment departed in the live-zone the connection shows up. You should be able to book the CGK-NRT-ORD in F if you can find it stretching into the dead zone and then call in to switch the CGK-NRT segment earlier (if there is availability) thus creating your stopover.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:02 pm

I see thank you for the thorough explanation on the calendar trick. I HUCA 3/4 times last night mentioning the direct access to manual booking but non of the agents are willing to do it.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by shosana
I see thank you for the thorough explanation on the calendar trick. I HUCA 3/4 times last night mentioning the direct access to manual booking but non of the agents are willing to do it.
AS requires a supportable reason to go outside the normal booking system. They strongly discourage it and I am not surprised you had trouble. I would probably try explaining to them that the normal system has a bug that hides availability in the couple of days near the schedule open, ask to speak with a supervisor to explain that their system is at fault due their IT bug, and hope that they agree and let the booking continue in the direct access system. Basically, don't give up when the agent refuses but escalate to a supervisor. The agent would have to get their approval anyway. Before you call it is a good idea to know the JL booking class for the flights you want, First is Z, Biz is U. Agents should know this but it is a good idea to confirm.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Not sure if something is up - or whether this is normal - but I've been searching for Asia-ORD and v.v. through August 2019 over the last few days and there's generally been pretty good availability (F between NRT and ORD and J intra-asia).

Today the AS calendar is coming back pretty much blank for JL F. Korean Air and Emirates are much more prominent (weren't there the last few days). Odd that all JL F dried up within the last 12 hours or so.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by minz56
Yes, but for some reason China falls into the SE Asia category so requires more points.
AS twitter team tells me the higher miles requirement is due to availability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.