Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Mileage Plan and VX Elevate Speculation Thread [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS Mileage Plan and VX Elevate Speculation Thread [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2016, 11:58 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by jinglish
Yeah, the rates are still up in the air--I'd like 100% for all discount Y fares, obviously, but we'll see--but come on. "We own this airline and it's our partner and you get elite perks, but you can't actually earn any miles flying them" isn't a thing.
+1

Less than 100% EQM earning on a wholly-owned subsidiary would be a first amongst US network airlines (I don't know anything about WN's elite program), and I don't think the 5th largest carrier is in a competitive position to push that envelope. I think competitive forces still incentivize them to keep Mileage Plan better than the competition. Now, Mileage Plan could get a lot worse and still be better than the competition, but less than 100% earning on regular fares (except a Basic Economy equivalent, which VX doesn't offer AFAIK) would be clearly worse than the competition. And VX is the part of ASVX's network that is most competitive -- AS probably has a lot more competitive freedom to make the frequent flyer program worse in Alaska and the Northwest than they do in California.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 11:59 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Baze
Many airlines have partners that only give redeemable miles and no EQM's.
Not joint venture or partially-owned partners, let alone wholly owned partners.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
And if you do get them, will they be miles based or revenue based? Not enough was announced in this regard.
We'll find out soon (as in, next week). Is anyone making major travel decisions based on knowing these things today (vs. say Monday)?

I personally doubt that it would be revenue based since AS makes a big deal about Mileage Plan still awarding miles based on travel distance, not revenue.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ashill
Not joint venture or partially-owned partners, let alone wholly owned partners.
Well, this IS a speculation thread. And until there are announcements made everything (except what has already been announce) is pure speculation.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
We'll find out soon (as in, next week). Is anyone making major travel decisions based on knowing these things today (vs. say Monday)?

I personally doubt that it would be revenue based since AS makes a big deal about Mileage Plan still awarding miles based on travel distance, not revenue.
There is enough "missing" information that I have no plans to include VX flights in my travel plans for at least a year....as it stands now, we get far more elite benefits by flying AA or even DL as VX seems to be one of those "second tier" international partners that offers the ability to earn/redeem miles, but little else.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 2:39 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Any chance we will be able to move Alaska miles to VA or is that a dumb question

I have about 10K virgin, wouldn't mind transferring some miles over to take advantage of the Singapore rates
Old Dec 16, 2016, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Believe what you want to believe and we all hope you are right. Many airlines have partners that only give redeemable miles and no EQM's. They may not have incorporated anything into the system yet to track them and are working on it. So, like I said, until someone flies and posts they got them or there is some kind of official announcement, don't hold your breath. And they did announce that for the time being, VX is it's own entity, it is just owned by the same group that owns AS and they are still deciding what the future is. So, in theory, yes, any miles flown on VX should count towards status. But they haven't said so yet. Also, if they do, do they count towards all AS status or partner status. None of this has been announced yet. I would guess they will be making announcements to these regards over the coming weeks. But incorporating an airline does not happen overnight.
That's the key difference right there compared to other airline mergers...."VX is it's own entity"....CO/UA, AA/US, etc. had no plans to even temporarily allow the other brand to maintain it's own entity for an indefinite period of time like AS is doing so there really is no "status quo" which of course leads to all the more speculation.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
Any chance we will be able to move Alaska miles to VA or is that a dumb question

I have about 10K virgin, wouldn't mind transferring some miles over to take advantage of the Singapore rates
That's a great option that I think a lot of VX flyers might be interested in but I doubt will happen...seems like everything is geared the other direction but you can hope.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008

My understanding is that you will NOT be able to move AS miles to VX Elevate. There has been nothing announced officially about transfers either way. However, Alaska elites will NOT be automatically matched to Virgin America status. I can assume that miles will also not be able to be moved in that direction.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
My understanding is that you will NOT be able to move AS miles to VX Elevate. There has been nothing announced officially about transfers either way. However, Alaska elites will NOT be automatically matched to Virgin America status. I can assume that miles will also not be able to be moved in that direction.
So if AS elites are NOT matched to Virgin America status, we will essentially just get priority check-in/boarding and at least RDMs for the flight, but that's about it....wow, what a great deal
Old Dec 16, 2016, 3:11 pm

I think the bigger question is will EQM on Virgin count as partner miles or Alaska miles?

20k miles to reach MVP or 25k?

I guess we will see on Monday.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Wonder what the transfer ratios will be with AS:VX...
anyone see anything on this or have any good information??
Old Dec 16, 2016, 4:06 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
The way things are going, I could see AS mandating if you want FF credit for traveling on the airline formerly known as Virgin America, you will need to sign up for MileagePlan and use that number.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 4:10 pm

Looks like it is official. As of Monday 12/19, miles flown on Virgin America will count as Alaska miles when crediting to Mileage Plan, NOT partner.

That means 20k needed rather than 25k for MVP, 40k vs 50k for Gold and so on.

AS confirmed it on Twitter, but for some reason the link to the tweet isn't showing up...
Old Dec 16, 2016, 4:14 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Does anyone else find it ironic that people panicking about possibly not getting EQMs if flying VX with an AS number really want to be status-matched to VX... so they can credit flights to a separate FF program where they won't contribute one bit to their AS status?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.