Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Mileage Plan and VX Elevate Speculation Thread [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS Mileage Plan and VX Elevate Speculation Thread [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2016, 6:50 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by CDKing
What makes you say AS doesn't like *A? I don't think the lack of *A partners is any real indicator.
When CO joined *A, AS dropped them rather quickly.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 6:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
I'm not sure that was AS dropping CO. I think CO was told they could not remain partners with AS, and there was a gradual withdrawal.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Jma12
AS do not like *A so that probably won't happen.
What makes you say AS doesn't like *A? I don't think the lack of *A partners is any real indicator. You can only have so many partners who are in direct competition of one another. Also seems as is more interested in adding independents recently as example adding FI again and the newest Asian partner HU. But yea adding/keeping SQ could be a long shot as SQ doesn't have much to gain from it.
My understanding is that *A has much stricter rules about how members can cooperate outside the alliance than SkyTeam or oneworld. I think SQ and NZ are the only two *A members with many partnerships outside *A. I suspect that the SQ/VXAS partnership will not survive.

Originally Posted by beckoa
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
I'm not sure that was AS dropping CO. I think CO was told they could not remain partners with AS, and there was a gradual withdrawal.
It is also my impression that CO terminated the partnership with AS, not the other way around. At the time, CO's then-new partner UA competed much more directly with AS than any of the other legacies, since UA had the two west coast hubs and substantial operations in SEA, including routes like GEG and PDX in direction competition with bread-and-butter AS/QX routes. So I doubt UA wanted its partners to partner with AS.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 10:17 pm

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Indeed. I fly AS regularly for business (going tomorrow, in fact - 4 flights in the next 2 weeks).

The day that the AS program morphs into anything resembling a "revenue based" program would be the last day I ever fly AS. If I wanted that, I'd be flying Delta instead.

We should all thank DL for encroaching into AS territory. Otherwise, I bet all loyal AS frequent flyers would have been screwed long time ago by AS cutting benefits on the mileage plan program and even switching to revenue-based program. It is a business, and there is incentive for them to follow the industrial trend, unless they have to buck the trend to defend their home turf.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by ashill
My understanding is that *A has much stricter rules about how members can cooperate outside the alliance than SkyTeam or oneworld. I think SQ and NZ are the only two *A members with many partnerships outside *A. I suspect that the SQ/VXAS partnership will not survive.
I thought it might be an alliance rule. However, VX and AS are not on any alliances, so my thinking was if VX was allowed under *A rues why AS wouldn't be allowed as well? SQ also partners with B6, although that's an earn and no burn arrangement
Old Apr 29, 2016, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by BW Flyer
We should all thank DL for encroaching into AS territory. Otherwise, I bet all loyal AS frequent flyers would have been screwed long time ago by AS cutting benefits on the mileage plan program and even switching to revenue-based program. It is a business, and there is incentive for them to follow the industrial trend, unless they have to buck the trend to defend their home turf.
I really doubt it. It's pretty hard to mileage run on AS compared to the other majors. To boot, they're profitable, have a good thing going in the NW and being the last person to change gives you something to actually market. Alaska flights are almost never the cheapest option, so there's less of a motive for them to push people to the higher rev tickets.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 8:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by yaychemistry
So when can I start earning Mileage Plan miles (and eqm) on VX? I have some BOS-SFO flights that I need to book.

Just kidding.... but really, when?
The path is finally clear. So, I am wondering the same as OP -- when can we start flying LAX-BOS on VX and credit those EQMs and get those upgrades?
Old Dec 8, 2016, 9:00 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
I thought it might be an alliance rule. However, VX and AS are not on any alliances, so my thinking was if VX was allowed under *A rues why AS wouldn't be allowed as well? SQ also partners with B6, although that's an earn and no burn arrangement
I feel like *A probably wasn't too happy about VX because UA could've filled the same void but I think UA insisted on sky-high interline rates for their domestic flights to discourage travel on SQ and SQ isn't really a fan of UA so they partner with VX instead, as they could likely argue that there was no airline in *A that could fulfill what they needed. Stuff like CX/NZ, SQ/VA, AV/IB, would satisfy that as well. Something like QF/EK wouldn't be allowed in *A.

So, I would imagine if AS is willing to keep the interline rates that VX has negotiated with SQ, SQ will likely stay partner.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
[QUOTE=jediwho;27585472]The path is finally clear. So, I am wondering the same as OP -- when can we start flying LAX-BOS on VX and credit those EQMs and get those upgrades?[/

Just a guess.... But I don't see this happening anytime soon...the typical merger process is relatively slow..DOJ approval doesn't make things move any faster and right now AS seems to have its hands full with its new premium economy product roll-out next year.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 9:49 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Originally Posted by jediwho
The path is finally clear. So, I am wondering the same as OP -- when can we start flying LAX-BOS on VX and credit those EQMs and get those upgrades?
Just a guess.... But I don't see this happening anytime soon...the typical merger process is relatively slow..DOJ approval doesn't make things move any faster and right now AS seems to have its hands full with its new premium economy product roll-out next year.
I don't think he means full-on merger, just a partnership now that they're becoming a part of AAG. The AS website even (very briefly) showed priority boarding on VX as an AS elite benefit a few months back.

Last edited by jinglish; Dec 8, 2016 at 10:57 pm
Old Dec 8, 2016, 10:24 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by jediwho
when can we start flying LAX-BOS on VX and [...] get those upgrades?
Perhaps I'll be proved wrong, but free upgrades on the VX product aren't going to happen.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 11:24 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by flyupfrnt
Honest Question - Have you ever even flown Alaska? Or did you just accumulate mileage plan miles via discounted sales and burn them on EQ?
^
Old Dec 9, 2016, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dayone
Perhaps I'll be proved wrong, but free upgrades on the VX product aren't going to happen.
I agree...not gonna happen. I think the best we can hope for is the ability to earn EQMs on VX metal flights....I really don't see the VX product going away for a long time (if ever)....I think AS has realized the safe bet is to keep them separate products for now.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 12:07 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Wonder what the transfer ratios will be with AS:VX...
Old Dec 9, 2016, 5:26 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
My recollection from the AA/US merger (the only one of the big three which was a merger of non-partners), they had reciprocal FF earning (and burning, I think) in place almost immediately after the corporate merger closed. It was one of the first things to happen, presumably because it's relatively easy to add a new FF partner. Upgrades took a bit longer and had various stages of ugly kludges, but as noted, with VX's very different view of F, upgrades are less clear at best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.