Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Mileage Plan and VX Elevate Speculation Thread [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS Mileage Plan and VX Elevate Speculation Thread [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2016, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Indeed. I fly AS regularly for business (going tomorrow, in fact - 4 flights in the next 2 weeks).

The day that the AS program morphs into anything resembling a "revenue based" program would be the last day I ever fly AS. If I wanted that, I'd be flying Delta instead.
++++++1.....the fact that AS is a traditional mileage-based rather than revenue-based program is the #1 reason I'm loyal to this airline.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 3:32 am
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Predictions of VX Mileage Earning

When do people think AS will roll out the ability to earn miles, or do anything MileagePlan related on VX operated flights before they are all one entity and everything is completed by 2018? My guess is within 6 months, but I could be wrong. I'm thinking this merger will be similar to the AA-US merger. AA and US each had reciprocal benefits, and you could earn miles, and get elite benefits well before they completely merged FF programs and computers.

Thoughts and ideas?

Last edited by Cholula; Apr 7, 2016 at 9:51 am Reason: Removed profanity
Old Apr 6, 2016, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Edgerfly
When do people think AS will roll out the ability to earn miles, or do anything MileagePlan related on VX operated flights before they are all one entity and everything is completed by 2018? My guess is within 6 months, but I could be wrong. I'm thinking this merger will be similar to the AA-US merger. AA and US each had reciprocal benefits, and you could earn miles, and get elite benefits well before they completely merged FF programs and computers.

Thoughts and ideas?
Alaska won't do anything with VX-operated earning until they own it, and maybe not for 3-12 months after that. They can't do anything to interfere with VX's business, and setting VX management direction - like demanding reciprocal benefits - could be seen as interference.

Last edited by Cholula; Apr 7, 2016 at 9:51 am
Old Apr 6, 2016, 5:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Alaska won't do anything with VX-operated earning until they own it, and maybe not for 3-12 months after that. They can't do anything to interfere with VX's business, and setting VX management direction - like demanding reciprocal benefits - could be seen as interference.
You're talking about until the feds seal the deal?
Old Apr 7, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Just got a mass-email from VX about Elevate (a follow-up distinct from the April 4th email) which clarifies absolutely nothing

In particular, many flyers have questions about whether there will be an immediate impact on their Points, Status and the flying experience they've come to expect from Virgin America. Please know that you will not see any changes during the next several months – and potentially until the end of the year – until the merger receives regulatory and shareholder approval. Furthermore, there will likely be no significant changes to your flying experience for as many as 18 months or more while the two airlines merge into one. Until the transaction is officially approved – typically a process that can take upwards of six months – both airlines will continue to operate independently and there will be no changes to our flight schedules, the Virgin America product and guest experience, Elevate Status levels or your ability to earn and redeem points. Each airline will maintain separate websites, separate guest service teams and distinct frequent flyer programs. If you book a Virgin America flight, you will fly on Virgin America. In short, there will be no short-term changes in what you have come to expect from Virgin America's award-winning experience.

At the point when the Virgin America Elevate program is merged into the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan™ program, you should also know there will be no disruption to your earnings or redemptions. Your Points balance and Status level will be honored in Alaska Airline's Mileage Plan, which has been ranked the #1 airline rewards program by U.S. News and World Report for the past two years. In addition, you will be able to use your Status levels and earned Points across a significantly expanded network – including 114 destinations in North America and 900 global destinations through Alaska Airline's robust network of international partners. This means that you can continue to fly Virgin America and accrue Points as normal, from now until when the plans combine, and you can be confident that all your points – whether earned prior to or after the transaction announcement – will be reflected in your new or existing Alaska Mileage Plan account.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Clarifies quite a bit, actually. Chances that you can swap miles or credit in the other program in the next six months = nil, chances that you can do it during 2016 = almost nil.

Basically, nothing much is likely to happen on the frequent flyer level until 2017.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 1:57 am
Suspended

What does this mean about ALK stock?
Old Apr 20, 2016, 10:50 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Titanium
VX-SQ partnership?

Any thoughts on what will become of the VX-SQ partnership? Earnings look horrible, but redeeming rates look quite good, even for F suites now that EK has dramatically increased. For a former UA flyer, will be great to hopefully have SQ as an option to redeem on again.

https://www.virginamerica.com/cms/el...apore-airlines
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:13 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-ai...ons/#more-4707

What about your codeshare/frequent flier partners?

At this point it is too early to know any concrete details about the future of ours and Virgin America’s partnerships with other airlines. I can tell you we’ll be looking thoughtfully at both our current portfolio of codeshare and frequent flier partnerships and Virgin America’s to ensure that we provide the greatest available network as a combined company.
Neil
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
ask in about 5 years

BTW an AS tie in with SQ would be awesome
Old Apr 20, 2016, 12:04 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CDKing
ask in about 5 years

BTW an AS tie in with SQ would be awesome
IF AS can get access to SQ's long-haul premium cabin space like M&M.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
IF AS can get access to SQ's long-haul premium cabin space like M&M.
If so I bet it would be higher than EK F
Old Apr 20, 2016, 3:06 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
AS do not like *A so that probably won't happen.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jma12
AS do not like *A so that probably won't happen.
What makes you say AS doesn't like *A? I don't think the lack of *A partners is any real indicator. You can only have so many partners who are in direct competition of one another. Also seems as is more interested in adding independents recently as example adding FI again and the newest Asian partner HU. But yea adding/keeping SQ could be a long shot as SQ doesn't have much to gain from it.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 5:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by CDKing
What makes you say AS doesn't like *A? I don't think the lack of *A partners is any real indicator. You can only have so many partners who are in direct competition of one another. Also seems as is more interested in adding independents recently as example adding FI again and the newest Asian partner HU. But yea adding/keeping SQ could be a long shot as SQ doesn't have much to gain from it.
Well... SQ partners with VX, whose biggest competitor is star alliance partner United. I'm not sure they would mind partnering with AS; although I'm not exactly sure how the VX partnership currently benefits SQ?

AS seems okay with partnering with airlines that compete with one another (AA/DL, BA/AF) so I'm not sure why an SQ partnership wouldn't work. It seems possible this partnership may continue. We will have to wait and see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.