Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Mileage Plan and VX Elevate Speculation Thread [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS Mileage Plan and VX Elevate Speculation Thread [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2016, 11:59 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
So your Mileage Plan status changed today?
Change was immediate, and I found 4 GGUs in my account with 12/31/2017 expiry.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 12:26 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
People who are very happy are those who status matched to AS once before but get it again by having VX Gold status.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by diver858
Looks like fares are MUCH higher in VX as well...
I noticed that too....but honestly, even before the merger, I don't remember VX being known for unusually low fares...I did a random check of PDX-JFK (both VX and AS require a connection) and AS was considerably cheaper....so, I guess I'll quit whining about not having very many benefits on VX flights since I'll likely never take them anyway...status quo prevails
Old Dec 20, 2016, 1:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
So your Mileage Plan status changed today?
Yes, changed today to MVP GOLD, as well as 4 upgrades in my inventory. Nice surprise.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 1:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I noticed that too....but honestly, even before the merger, I don't remember VX being known for unusually low fares...I did a random check of PDX-JFK (both VX and AS require a connection) and AS was considerably cheaper....so, I guess I'll quit whining about not having very many benefits on VX flights since I'll likely never take them anyway...status quo prevails
I was monitoring a couple of different flights on VX, one was LAX-BOS and the other was LAX-NYC, last week. After today's announcement, both those flights are now were priced more than 20% higher. While they are back to where they were last week, I am still reluctant to get on VX because of lack of upgrades (not even Main Cabin Select) on these flights.

Granted, I will get AS EQMs, but for almost a 6 hour flight, it's hard to be flying with no extra perks. I would rather fly AA and get MCE and do an extra mileage run end of next year if required.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by jediwho
I was monitoring a couple of different flights on VX, one was LAX-BOS and the other was LAX-NYC, last week. After today's announcement, both those flights are now were priced more than 20% higher. While they are back to where they were last week, I am still reluctant to get on VX because of lack of upgrades (not even Main Cabin Select) on these flights.

Granted, I will get AS EQMs, but for almost a 6 hour flight, it's hard to be flying with no extra perks. I would rather fly AA and get MCE and do an extra mileage run end of next year if required.
I commented in the other part as well. Are you referring to VX site or AS site. on AS only full Y was coming up so sound like they forgot to update the fares as none of the transcon fares filed allow VX metal. I have not looked at any west coast flights but the one BOS-SEA-LAX had the fare broken in SEA. Hope they hurry up and fix this because I would like to be able to take advantage of my MVPG cancellation benefit. Even VX credit card members get that (abet $150 annual fee)
Old Dec 20, 2016, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDKing
I commented in the other part as well. Are you referring to VX site or AS site. on AS only full Y was coming up so sound like they forgot to update the fares as none of the transcon fares filed allow VX metal. I have not looked at any west coast flights but the one BOS-SEA-LAX had the fare broken in SEA. Hope they hurry up and fix this because I would like to be able to take advantage of my MVPG cancellation benefit. Even VX credit card members get that (abet $150 annual fee)
I just looked this morning on the AS site. The Fare rules have been fixed to allow VX in the routing in AS fares. Dates for BOS-LAX where I was seeing full Y at ~$900 one way have dropped to $212
Old Dec 20, 2016, 9:03 am

I logged into my Alaskan account today and found I'm MVP Gold with 4 upgrades. However, I have an existing reservation from PHL to SEA--I changed the FF# from American AA Plat. to Alaskan but I don't see any option to select better seats or request upgrades. The number also doesn't say AS elite in the ticket (although it does say it on my tier profile info)

Any Ideas?
Old Dec 20, 2016, 9:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by CDKing
I just looked this morning on the AS site. The Fare rules have been fixed to allow VX in the routing in AS fares. Dates for BOS-LAX where I was seeing full Y at ~$900 one way have dropped to $212
Got it. This makes a lot more sense.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 9:41 am

First class fares are still significantly more on VX than AS, both transcon (expected) and up and down the west coast.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by flytoeat
First class fares are still significantly more on VX than AS, both transcon (expected) and up and down the west coast.
Isn't it also a far better product and a notch below Mint vs. probably three notches below for AS? Also, VX has eight first vs. 16/12 for AS.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 10:42 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by jediwho
Isn't it also a far better product and a notch below Mint vs. probably three notches below for AS?
My notch ranking:
Mint
AA J and Delta One
VX F
AS F
Old Dec 20, 2016, 5:27 pm

Would redemption chart stays the same?

A good indication of AS taking over VS is that AS would probably keep most of the partners and add the VX ones while dropping DL. I would certainly hope that the redemption chart stays mostly the same. Any news regarding redemption rate changes to match maybe DL/AA on their respective partners?
Old Dec 20, 2016, 5:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
*Praying DL doesn't tell/force their Skyteam partners to cut ties with AS*
Old Dec 20, 2016, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Edgerfly
*Praying DL doesn't tell/force their Skyteam partners to cut ties with AS*
DL doesn't seem to get along well with other ST partners so i don't think this will change anything on the individually negotiated agreements.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.