Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Account Suspensions/Closures on Accusations of Fraud/Brokering

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Account Suspensions/Closures on Accusations of Fraud/Brokering

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2015, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by timtetra
but now I'm going to have to jump through hoops to transfer miles from my SPG to my Fiancee's SPG account (we share the same address so it's allowed by SPG) and then to her Alaska account.
No harm no foul -- at least you have full (less 1) privileges again, and luckily SPG is a program wherein you also are able to Xfer your SPG points to a household member. The intra-SPG Xfer usually takes less than a week (I've done it before), so it's your spouse's Xfer to AS which will be the kicker. That could take several weeks but it would be the same timeframe from your SPG to your AS, so I really don't see you in any more disadvantaged situation than you were before except for the fact that the two of you will not be on the same record locator. Seriously, in the end you won't notice the difference
Old May 7, 2015, 9:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, AS Lifetime Gold (75K for this year), Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, OW Emerald
The lack of any comment from Alaska is disappointing at best. I fly quite a bit on Alaska, use a B of A Card to accumulate a lot of miles and also book award tickets to book for my employees and family (who do not share the same name).

Basically, AS is a CC loyalty company that happens to have an airline that they operate. The peddle the CC, and the program every single chance they get. Now they have people who are recognizing the flexibility, even if they don't fly much, if at all on the airlines and use it with SPG (which I also have a ton of points on).

I am concerned that they can arbitrarily just accuse someone of fraud and shut the account down. They need to be absolutely transparent with their members about what the expectations are and if they accuse someone of "fraud" they should be very specific and direct.

Shame on AS for not being direct with anyone they are accusing of fraud.
Old May 7, 2015, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by timtetra
*UPDATE #2* I sent in a signed copy that I had read the T&C and they've reinstated the account. It sucks, I was going to consider booking some flights for my honeymoon but now I'm going to have to jump through hoops to transfer miles from my SPG to my Fiancee's SPG account (we share the same address so it's allowed by SPG) and then to her Alaska account.
Maybe before you do that, you reach out to them, explain that you'd like to redeem awards for you and your fiancee on the same record, and if they would be ok with that.
Old May 8, 2015, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by waywired
The lack of any comment from Alaska is disappointing at best.
I'm not involved but when I questioned AS about the ability to use miles for others (I usually just go myself) but now worried I could get shut down and this is the response:

Originally Posted by AS social media team
You can still use miles to book tickets for other people like friends and family. You cannot sell them which is against our mileage plan terms and conditions.
Old May 8, 2015, 8:10 am

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
This thread is really concerning for those of us who can't access Alaska's regular routes for paid tickets (for example, east coast travel only and no AS presence at local airports) but still hold an AS credit card, have SPG accounts and utilize transfers (or transfers from a spouse), purchase miles directly from the airline, or credit non-AS flights to AS.

Alaska is one of a few airlines that doesn't even have a purchase limit on paid miles per year (I think). This is a huge value in securing premium award tickets especially if you pick up the miles 'on sale.'

I would like an answer from AS as to whether people currently holding award tickets procured through a combination of the above should be concerned about accounts and tickets being cancelled.
Old May 8, 2015, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by robsaw
Well it is AS's position that rules were broken and the other party that they weren't. Stalemate, court-action or sign and move-on. Whether the rest of us believe one, the other or neither is immaterial as no one is giving sworn testimony here.

My interpretation of this thread is that no rules in the official T&C were actually broken, but that AS doesn't like people to use the program (within those rules), but perhaps not as profitably for AS as expected) in a certain way and then as a result forces special rules on them, with the dubious accusation of T&C violations and the threat of account closures.
Old May 8, 2015, 12:03 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
AS is never going to reveal the algorithm they use for fraud detection, because that would result in helping fraudsters get smarter.

But it does seem from the OP that at least some of timtetra's issue came from being unable to verify ID information afterwards.

Reading this thread made me check my own AS account ... which still shows an old address ... so it does match my ID, but isn't the same address where my AS credit card is billed, nor would it match any utility bills in my name.

One of my hotel accounts has my current address, but still my old name, because I haven't bothered to send them a marriage certificate.

When I worked in the call center, there were plenty of members who struggled to verify their account information, because they had either "made up" a date of birth when signing up for My Account, or had an old work/home address attached to their profile, or changed their name, but hadn't bothered to update.

All of these things would make it harder for me, if asked, to prove my identity. So, while I can't guarantee that none of you will ever get erroneously tagged by a fraud alert, I can say that taking a few minutes periodically to make sure your account info is up to date will help the agent who is tasked with verifying your identity get you back on track faster.
Old May 8, 2015, 6:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by missydarlin
AS is never going to reveal the algorithm they use for fraud detection, because that would result in helping fraudsters get smarter.

But it does seem from the OP that at least some of timtetra's issue came from being unable to verify ID information afterwards.

Reading this thread made me check my own AS account ... which still shows an old address ... so it does match my ID, but isn't the same address where my AS credit card is billed, nor would it match any utility bills in my name.

One of my hotel accounts has my current address, but still my old name, because I haven't bothered to send them a marriage certificate.

When I worked in the call center, there were plenty of members who struggled to verify their account information, because they had either "made up" a date of birth when signing up for My Account, or had an old work/home address attached to their profile, or changed their name, but hadn't bothered to update.

All of these things would make it harder for me, if asked, to prove my identity. So, while I can't guarantee that none of you will ever get erroneously tagged by a fraud alert, I can say that taking a few minutes periodically to make sure your account info is up to date will help the agent who is tasked with verifying your identity get you back on track faster.
If this is the problem (minus the made up birth date), could someone prove the identity by sending a copy of the expired driver's license, old utility bills, etc. at the old address plus newer documents showing the current address? It's hard for me to identify someone forgetting to update an address (or name after marriage) with brokering miles or other fraudulent activity.

It's also hard for me to understand why the fraud department isn't more explicit in explaining why the attempts to prove identity were not accepted. IMO they should give the person the opportunity to explain (college address versus parents' home address, for example) or provide additional documents.

For award tickets for others, why not ask about the relationship instead of assuming that the tickets or miles have been sold? Either living together or traveling together should constitute adequate proof of a relationship, as well as being able to immediately send copies of the other person's ID card, although failure to do so isn't proof of fraud, as the spouse could well be traveling at the time with their passport, driver's license, etc.
Old May 8, 2015, 6:34 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
I imagine If the things the fraud department did to combat fraud were easy to understand, then it would be easy to circumvent them.

To be sure, its annoying when you haven't done anything wrong.

I ran into a similar experience with T-mobile. I went into one of their stores to buy a phone and they wouldn't let me because my account was still in my old name. They have no problem letting me autopay my bill every month with a credit card in my new name, billed to my new address, but apparently taking my $600 for a new phone was out of the question until I provided a marriage certificate. So I used the $600 on a mistake fare to Ireland instead
Old May 8, 2015, 7:39 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
My brother accumulated all his miles by flying and credit card, and never bought a single mile. He lives in the U.S. and his account is tied to his address there.

He redeemed his miles for me to visit him with an EK award. That's the only time he's ever redeemed a ticket that's not under his name. To his surprise his account was locked later on ("this mileage plan account has some discrepancies") and couldn't log-in.

The award was redeemed a month before he discovered it being locked. He didn't call customer care as the message informed him to, nor did he receive any emails or calls to verify his identity, so we agreed to not pick up the phone and rock the boat until after I've flown which is in less than 2 weeks.

You guys think there'll be any surprises waiting for me at the EK check-in desk? The ticket seems intact, and I've called EK several times to confirm. The agents also couldn't see any remarks that AS might have entered. It's been 2 months of eerie silence from AS.

Should we just pretend as though nothing happened?
Old May 8, 2015, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SilverChris
My brother accumulated all his miles by flying and credit card, and never bought a single mile. He lives in the U.S. and his account is tied to his address there.

He redeemed his miles for me to visit him with an EK award. That's the only time he's ever redeemed a ticket that's not under his name. To his surprise his account was locked later on ("this mileage plan account has some discrepancies") and couldn't log-in.

The award was redeemed a month before he discovered it being locked. He didn't call customer care as the message informed him to, nor did he receive any emails or calls to verify his identity, so we agreed to not pick up the phone and rock the boat until after I've flown which is in less than 2 weeks.

You guys think there'll be any surprises waiting for me at the EK check-in desk? The ticket seems intact, and I've called EK several times to confirm. The agents also couldn't see any remarks that AS might have entered. It's been 2 months of eerie silence from AS.

I would recommend calling and resolving the situation. I know that folks on AA forums have reported being stuck midway through their trip on a non-business day and without any way to restore their ticket. Up to you if you want to risk being 'stranded', but I wouldnt
Old May 8, 2015, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I'd certainly call weeks before your trip. Way too likely you'll have problems, especially if you're originating in KUL.

It seems that AS is targeting people who buy premium tickets, especially EK ones.
Old May 8, 2015, 10:34 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Are you willing to risk that your trip might be interrupted and you might have to pay for your return trip?

Call and resolve the issue.
Old May 9, 2015, 10:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by dayone
Are you willing to risk that your trip might be interrupted and you might have to pay for your return trip?

Call and resolve the issue.
Agree call now.
Old May 10, 2015, 12:00 am

Whose credit card was used to pay the taxes in the above situations? Was it the Mileage Plan holder's credit card or the ticketed passenger's credit card? Not that it should really matter but I wonder if AS fraud detection takes this into account. Anyways, this was just a thought as to something that could potentially contribute to this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.