Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines Announces Order for Six Boeing Next-Generation 737-900ERs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines Announces Order for Six Boeing Next-Generation 737-900ERs

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2015, 7:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by alaskaair.com/newsroom
2/18/2015 4:59:01 AM

SEATTLE — Alaska Airlines' fleet of fuel-efficient Boeing airplanes is growing again. Seattle's hometown airline is purchasing six more Boeing 737-900 Extended Range aircraft, valued at $594 million, Boeing's current list price. The new planes, four scheduled for delivery in 2016 and two in 2017, bring Alaska's total of locally manufactured jets on order to 79.

"We're delighted Boeing is able to expedite delivery of four of these new 737-900ERs, increasing the number of planes we'll receive next year to 19," said Andrew Harrison, Alaska Airlines executive vice president and chief revenue officer. "These comfortable and highly efficient jets will expand and strengthen our already leading Pacific Northwest network."

Alaska operates one of the youngest fleets in North America. The airline is transitioning to Boeing's most modern and efficient 737 "next generation" models. Over the next few years, Alaska's remaining 737-400s will be replaced with 737-900ERs, which transport 25 percent more passengers on the same amount of fuel.

"Alaska's confidence in the 737-900ER is something that everyone at Boeing takes great pride in," said Boeing Commercial Airplanes President and CEO Ray Conner. "As hometown partners, Alaska and Boeing have a shared vision to put the most innovative and fuel-efficient airplanes in the skies. The 737-900ER is a testament to that vision."

Starting later this year, all of Alaska's new 737-900ERs will feature Boeing's innovative Space Bins. The larger overhead bins have a similar look and feel to Alaska's current pivot bins, yet will hold 48 percent more bags than the current bins. When open, the bin's bottom edge hangs about 2 inches lower, which means customers don't have to lift their bags as high to load them. The deeper bins allow more bags to be stowed, and let customers load bags with less struggle.
Glad to see AS continue to add lift. I'm concerned @ the new bins being 2" shorter though- sounds like I'll need to duck more
Old Feb 18, 2015, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
the literalist in me is kinda curious about "48% more bags" ... I suspect it means "48% more total volume in a bin"; however, there's no way that equates to "space to cram in a third bag where the current configuration only holds two with a bit of extra room"
Old Feb 18, 2015, 12:36 pm

I'm worried about the 25% more passengers on the same fuel... Does that mean seat pitch has changed and we have a couple more rows stuffed in there... Or is that a horrible way of saying they use less fuel on any given flight & when we factor that into "per passenger fuel use", they're 25% better then current ones...

Edit: also, is this a flat out 1:1 replacement, or is the fleet growing overall? I wouldn't mind seeing a couple new routes open up to the eastern side of the USA...
Old Feb 18, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Glad to see AS continue to add lift. I'm concerned @ the new bins being 2" shorter though- sounds like I'll need to duck more
Thanks for posting, I was just about to ask if you notice the new overhead bins on the aircrafts AS has been equipping are not that well designed, compare to previous version? The new bins require you to push the bin all the way up/back until it "clicks", which the older bins are way easier to close, for shorter passengers or FAs, not really practical.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by acarney
I'm worried about the 25% more passengers on the same fuel... Does that mean seat pitch has changed and we have a couple more rows stuffed in there... Or is that a horrible way of saying they use less fuel on any given flight & when we factor that into "per passenger fuel use", they're 25% better then current ones...

Edit: also, is this a flat out 1:1 replacement, or is the fleet growing overall? I wouldn't mind seeing a couple new routes open up to the eastern side of the USA...
the way I read the article that beckoa included, the -400s are going to be phased out and replaced by the -900s

seating comparison (Seatguru numbers) shows exactly a 25% increase in coach: 132 on the -400, 165 on the -900
Old Feb 18, 2015, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by jrl767
the literalist in me is kinda curious about "48% more bags" ... I suspect it means "48% more total volume in a bin"; however, there's no way that equates to "space to cram in a third bag where the current configuration only holds two with a bit of extra room"
Aren't these new bins designed to hold the bag standing on it's side vs. flat? I think that's how they'll get 48% more bags overhead.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 3:19 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Space bins: http://blog.alaskaair.com/2014/07/10...s-from-boeing/.

Neil
Old Feb 18, 2015, 3:35 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by acarney

according to the AS website, their fleet plan is to increase by 10 a/c by 2017. This year they plan to increase by 6. Whether all the 734s and 73Gs will be replaced by then? thats really hard to tell. I think their replacements have already been delayed due to recent AS expansion in the vs. DL battle. Probably depends how that goes as to whether or not the decomission of the 734s is sped up or delayed even more. On the flip side, AS doesnt really have a whole lot of cities left to fly to that are in range of a 737 and can provide the loads of a 737 from the Seattle market on a daily basis
Old Feb 18, 2015, 4:00 pm

Programs: Mileage Plan, Sky Miles, AAdvantage, HHonors, SPG, Emerald Club
Originally Posted by ANC
according to the AS website, their fleet plan is to increase by 10 a/c by 2017. This year they plan to increase by 6. Whether all the 734s and 73Gs will be replaced by then? thats really hard to tell. I think their replacements have already been delayed due to recent AS expansion in the vs. DL battle. Probably depends how that goes as to whether or not the decomission of the 734s is sped up or delayed even more. On the flip side, AS doesnt really have a whole lot of cities left to fly to that are in range of a 737 and can provide the loads of a 737 from the Seattle market on a daily basis
SEA is certainly the largest hub for AS but not the only one. There are plenty of markets to grow from not only SEA but ANC/PDX/LAX hubs and SAN/SLC focus cities too. There has always been competition but the problem with rapid growth is that the airline can't train enough pilots to grow the airline to serve all the markets available. As previously mentioned, this order will likely replace the -400s 1:1 as the airline will not be putting in all the Alaska Beyond extras into 734s as the -800/900/900er will have.

It's sad because the 734 still do a lot of quality service for the airline but the combination of efficiency and scowl on passengers faces boarding -400s makes it just a business decision...a $594M business decision.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 4:25 pm
ANC

Originally Posted by worldwideg
SEA is certainly the largest hub for AS but not the only one. There are plenty of markets to grow from not only SEA but ANC/PDX/LAX hubs and SAN/SLC focus cities too. There has always been competition but the problem with rapid growth is that the airline can't train enough pilots to grow the airline to serve all the markets available. As previously mentioned, this order will likely replace the -400s 1:1 as the airline will not be putting in all the Alaska Beyond extras into 734s as the -800/900/900er will have.

It's sad because the 734 still do a lot of quality service for the airline but the combination of efficiency and scowl on passengers faces boarding -400s makes it just a business decision...a $594M business decision.
ANC and the State of Alaska just doesnt have the population to support a whole lot of market growth, not on a daily service level or year round service. There is probably some seasonal potential. And/But the problem with 2x or 3x a week service is that it creates logistical issues with FAs and Pilots that cost money. Either pay for their rooms and food for extra days or dead head them on another airline or from a SEA or PDX flight going to the same outpost. I dont even think flying to MSP would be in range of a same day turn. They can run ORD because of the other 3 to 5 flights coming from PDX and SEA. That route even shuts down Jan to early March. Mid November I flew ORD to ANC and there were 34 of us on the a/c. No money made by AS at all on a 2800 mile route. Most routes out of ANC have already been tried by either AS or a competitor. While Id love to see AS fly PHL or MKE or MSP or DEN or LAS, the only one that seems doable or one they havent tried yet which is MSP

Last edited by ANC; Feb 18, 2015 at 4:32 pm
Old Feb 18, 2015, 4:58 pm

Ya, I was kinda hoping for more service from PDX and LAX/BUR out east. Just to give more options. They are pretty decently covered, but I wouldn't say no to two or three more routes out there...

I would love them opening up a couple international routes, Japan, China, South Korea... But that's a totally different dream and different set of planes...
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E

ANC-LAS is 3x a week on AS.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 6:07 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

That's a very interesting route. I'm surprised, but glad there is enough load to support it.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 6:18 pm
ANC

oh yeah I forgot they restarted that one
Old Feb 18, 2015, 6:32 pm

Hoping for SEA-BNA, JFK, CLT, CVG...PDX-ABQ, AUS, SAT...SAN-FLL, TPA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.