Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines Announces Order for Six Boeing Next-Generation 737-900ERs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines Announces Order for Six Boeing Next-Generation 737-900ERs

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2015, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by HiFlyerAS
Was on a -700 a couple of days ago with the streaming movies...love it!
I lost in Beyond roulette... the -700 I took yesterday (N509AS) SNA-SEA didn't have streaming.

(What happened to that thread attempting to list which aircraft have had streaming added? I couldn't find it in search).
Old Feb 19, 2015, 3:06 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by OO-SLC-CR9
While I understand that the -400 is becoming disfavored by the flying public for the most part, replacing a -400 (or a -700) 1:1 with a -900ER, especially on thinner routes, means while we may have a shiny new plane, we will probably see less frequency to accommodate the increase in seats... I really like the -700 and wish they would keep them (and do the power/slim line, etc) for the thinner routes, such as xSLC or even xANC.
the 700s are money pits. Good concept by Boeing with that very long range but not enough seats to make that cost effective or at least competitively cost effective. And the fuel used isnt all less enough on short hauls to make it any more useful than a 738 or 739 in savings. What you might see is more contracting out to Skywest with EMB175s depending on how that test trial run goes
Old Feb 19, 2015, 3:17 pm
ANC

Originally Posted by channa
YYZ, YUL?

Was thinking of YUL as one of those possible places. Im not so sure about YYZ ever coming to fruition. IIRC YYZ has some of the highest landing fees in the world. Other cities large enough would be JFK obviously and perhaps CLT IND and JAX. A few others are iffy like RDU PIT and CVG which have been brought up before
Old Feb 19, 2015, 3:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by ANC
What you might see is more contracting out to Skywest with EMB175s depending on how that test trial run goes
Hmm if the tests go well think QX would pick up a fleet of E175's?

Originally Posted by ANC
A few others are iffy like RDU PIT and CVG which have been brought up before
Know fters in RDU and PIT who would like some AS luvin'
Old Feb 19, 2015, 3:45 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Deleted ... late to the game.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ANC
the 700s are money pits. Good concept by Boeing with that very long range but not enough seats to make that cost effective or at least competitively cost effective. And the fuel used isnt all less enough on short hauls to make it any more useful than a 738 or 739 in savings. What you might see is more contracting out to Skywest with EMB175s depending on how that test trial run goes
The -700's were never a particularly new idea, equivalent to the -300's of yesteryear (some of which are still around). Whether or or not they are a "money pit", they are many of them around and airlines continue to buy them. Obviously, for AS, it looks like they are maximizing the number of seats per aircraft.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 4:24 pm
ANC

Originally Posted by beckoa

I have pondered the thought and Im not really sure either way
Old Feb 19, 2015, 4:25 pm
ANC

Originally Posted by formeraa
The -700's were never a particularly new idea, equivalent to the -300's of yesteryear (some of which are still around). Whether or or not they are a "money pit", they are many of them around and airlines continue to buy them. Obviously, for AS, it looks like they are maximizing the number of seats per aircraft.
some year or 3 back, I rad AS was trying to expedite getting the 700s out of the fleet. They may work great for airlines like WN with the all coach configurations. Who flies a 300? Ive never been on one
Old Feb 19, 2015, 4:26 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by beckoa
I'm thinking more of the C-Series, QX can be all Bombardier and AS all Boeing. C-Series might be a tad too big, but I'd bet Horizon could get a nice deal on them.

Either way I do think something between the Q400 and 737 is necessary for quite a few markets. Especially with AS generally reducing smaller aircraft like the 737-700 and 737-400 in favor of the 737-900ERs.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by ANC
some year or 3 back, I rad AS was trying to expedite getting the 700s out of the fleet. They may work great for airlines like WN with the all coach configurations. Who flies a 300? Ive never been on one
United got rid of their 300s and 500s before the merger with CO.

Lufthansa still has both types. http://www.lufthansagroup.com/en/com...aul-fleet.html
Old Feb 19, 2015, 5:19 pm

Programs: All the Programs...
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
That's not how it works.

-400/700 flights get ungauged to a -800; routinely full -800s move to -900s unless range or takeoff performance is a factor.
Yeah... well the way you've listed is what Alaska would like, but xSLC we started with all -800s and -900s with Q400 to LAS and BOI 2x daily. We are down to mostly -400s (except xSAN with a -800), the Q400 is replacing now -400 SJC (down to 1x daily, from 2x), and LAS is going from 2x Q400 to 1x OO RJ7...

Originally Posted by formeraa
Basically, AS is saying that the total fuel cost of the -400 is exactly the same as a -900ER. The benefit of the -900ER is that it has 25% more seats. The labor cost of the -900ER will be somewhat higher because of the need for 1 more FA. So, if a route was profitable with the -400, it will likely be profitable with the -900ER despite the increase in seats.
I understand the theory behind this, but I am in the hotel industry and we look at RevPAR (and I know the airline industry does the same thing, Revenue per available room / seat); with a bigger plane, and the same passenger load, your numbers aren't going to be that great. Alaska is going to want the -900ER at capaicty as often as possible and there are routes that will be too big for a Q400 or a OO RJ7 or E75, but not big enough for the -900ER that I am afraid will be hacked.

-400 and -700's are getting hand-me down 'new' seats from the -800 and -900's. No more super-cushy FC seats on the -400's which I'll miss...reminds me of the old 727's!

They'll be outfitted with the streaming entertainment (Alaska Beyond) along with the already-installed gogo wifi but will not be getting seat-power. Was on a -700 a couple of days ago with the streaming movies...love it!
They are? I thought AS was killing off the -400 and -700, why would they retrofit them before sending them off to the desert? I'm all for Beyond on these a/c since they seem to be out here xSLC a lot lately, but it just doesn't seem to make fiscal sense...
Old Feb 19, 2015, 10:17 pm
Original Member

They are? I thought AS was killing off the -400 and -700, why would they retrofit them before sending them off to the desert? I'm all for Beyond on these a/c since they seem to be out here xSLC a lot lately, but it just doesn't seem to make fiscal sense...
They were, however when the DL growth started at SEA they decided to hold onto the frames a little longer in revenue.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
I'm thinking more of the C-Series, QX can be all Bombardier and AS all Boeing. C-Series might be a tad too big, but I'd bet Horizon could get a nice deal on them.

Either way I do think something between the Q400 and 737 is necessary for quite a few markets. Especially with AS generally reducing smaller aircraft like the 737-700 and 737-400 in favor of the 737-900ERs.
The CS100 would be an awful big jump in seating. Standard 2-class config is 108 seats, so having the 3rd FA brings the costs up even more, and losing the revenue from 8 seats isn't an attractive option either.

As much as I personally like the 2-3 seating in Y, it really ought to be treated as a mainline aircraft.

I'm laughing at myself, but the Superjet 100 is probably a better fit for Horizon!
Old Feb 20, 2015, 11:35 am

-400 and -700's are getting hand-me down 'new' seats from the -800 and -900's. No more super-cushy FC seats on the -400's which I'll miss...reminds me of the old 727's!
So far only -400's, I'm not aware of any plans for the -700's. The seats are coming from the -800's, none from the -900's. Most of the -900 seats can be used as spares for the -700's

The -400 will be going away soon, the end of 2017 is what I have heard numerous times. One thing that isn't brought up is the rapidly increasing inspection requirements on the fuselages. The choices are to live with the inspections, reskin the planes or get rid of them. They will be getting rid of them, its just a matter of timing. Something like thirty five planes are now scheduled for delivery in the next two years, thats the seating equivalent of about forty four -400's. I haven't heard much about the -700's, except the conversion of three to freighters.

The -400 fleet had multiple types of seats in coach and first, so parts had to be stocked for seats that were only on a few aircraft. The seats from the -800's has a large pool of spares that are already in stock and the seats that aren't used can instead be used for more spares. So by not having to purchase much in the way of seat parts over the next few years Alaska will end up saving money and provide a more uniform product.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: All the Programs...
Originally Posted by Putzy
I haven't heard much about the -700's, except the conversion of three to freighters.
Replacing the -400 freighter (and possibly the combi's)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.