Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seattle questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2014, 11:24 am

Programs: AS MVP, A3 Gold, IHG Spire
With your comment about Rock/Indie. Check out the Tractor Tavern in Ballard, not sure who's playing, but live music most nights. Also some great restaurants on Ballard Ave.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by ou81two
Pollstar.com is a great way to find local concerts.
Another great live music calendar is http://www.jambase.com/

There are some great suggestions here but keep in mind the jetlag factor. You'll be up pretty early to make your 9:20am (1:20am Seattle time) departure from London. This is especially true if you plan for a bit of enjoyable lounging in the First Lounge before the flight. Unless you've been up all night the night before, flying at that time of day is not particularly conducive to sleeping, especially for one looking to celebrate his/her birthday whilst enjoying BA's First Class to the fullest! By the time you clear customs at Seattle it'll be near 8:00pm London time. On the assumption you're getting a hotel out at the airport, it'll be near 9:00pm London time (1:00pm local) by the time you get that squared away and are ready to head into town. If you want to do dinner and music later that night, you might want to schedule a quick nap in there somewhere!

However you go about it, have a great birthday flight and a fun time in the Emerald City!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Sep 10, 2014 at 3:27 pm
Old Sep 9, 2014, 11:37 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
There's usually a line at lunch time, but I enjoyed Pike Place Chowder... the crab roll wasn't anything to write home about (too much celery/onion) but the chowder was top notch.

If you have a car or can get a zip car (or maybe reach by public transit, I don't know), the sandwiches and smoked meats at Salumi are top notch.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 1:48 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
If you have a car or can get a zip car (or maybe reach by public transit, I don't know), the sandwiches and smoked meats at Salumi are top notch.
Its within 5 blocks of both the International District and Pioneer Square light rail stops
Old Sep 10, 2014, 11:26 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by Junkie
[B]

Not sure where you came up with this theory - Ivar's is open - both the walkup seafood bar and the waterfront Fine dining restaurant!
I stand corrected. I had read in the paper that the strip of waterfront tourist buildings would be closing for a very extended period as part of the construction all along there - maybe that hasn't occurred yet. Everything looks quite torn up down there, and frankly I've pretty much stopped going downtown. Clogged with traffic, tourists, and all torn up, not worth the hassles for me.

I still don't think Ivar's is worth a diversion on a very quickie stop in November. On a liesurely visit in August, sure, go feed the seagulls some french fries, but not really a food highlight IMHO. To each their own.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 1:59 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Junkie
[B]

Not sure where you came up with this theory - Ivar's is open - both the walkup seafood bar and the waterfront Fine dining restaurant!
It will close next month, for at least 9 months, along with Elliotts, and 13 other businesses.

http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/b...aterfront.html
Old Sep 11, 2014, 2:33 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
A trip up the Smith Tower is actually pretty good for the views. The price, $7.50 pp, at first seemed a bit dear to me, but I suppose it is pretty cheap when compared to the Space Needle. As a bonus you get to see the Space Needle from the Smith Tower. There is also a great view of the stadiums.

I'd never gone up when I actually lived in the Seattle area, but having gone up to the top of the Smith Tower last week, I thought it was pretty cool.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Once again, thank you all for your suggestions. Seat 2As comments well received. I agree some recuperation may be needed after 9 hrs of hard core pampering! And it will be a longer day than you think. I'm flying Manchester to lhr before the flight to seattle, and with local travel it will be a 4am start. I am expecting a looooong birthday. However, I am going to try as hard as possible to be in a state to enjoy the evening though.
I'll check out Ballard details as well. Whilst I love great food/dining it may be a bit lonely on ones own.
Thanks again
Old Sep 11, 2014, 1:54 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by missydarlin
Its within 5 blocks of both the International District and Pioneer Square light rail stops
I would highly suggest arriving at least 15 mins ahead of the opening time of 11. Also, the mole sandwich is unbelievably good.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by MonThruThurs
I would highly suggest arriving at least 15 mins ahead of the opening time of 11. Also, the mole sandwich is unbelievably good.
I arrived at Salumi right at 11:15 on a Monday in March and had to wait about 15 minutes (just squeezed in the door)... but I have read the line can be to the end of the block at times too. I had the lamb sandwich and a sampler of the smoked meats... I would highly recommend both.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
Tats (~2 blocks away) also does some really good east coast style sandwiches.

Originally Posted by greg5
A trip up the Smith Tower is actually pretty good for the views. The price, $7.50 pp, at first seemed a bit dear to me, but I suppose it is pretty cheap when compared to the Space Needle. As a bonus you get to see the Space Needle from the Smith Tower. There is also a great view of the stadiums.

I'd never gone up when I actually lived in the Seattle area, but having gone up to the top of the Smith Tower last week, I thought it was pretty cool.
There's also the observation deck at the columbia center (the big black building) on the 73rd? floor - http://www.skyviewobservatory.com and apparently $12.50 now. I vaguely recall it's about 3 times the height of the space needle.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 2:50 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by LwoodY2K
There's also the observation deck at the columbia center (the big black building) on the 73rd? floor - http://www.skyviewobservatory.com and apparently $12.50 now. I vaguely recall it's about 3 times the height of the space needle.
That would probably also be pretty good to visit. I've not been there myself. Even with once spending over a month on Jury Duty just across the street, and going most days to the food circus on the ground floor for lunch.

Both the Smith Tower http://smithtower.com/observe/observ...info-calendar/, and the Space Needle have outside observation decks. I don't think that the Columbia Center does.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA 2MM, DL D360
It's touristy, but the restaurant at the top of the Space Needle (Sky City) actually has really good food including local, sustainable, organic selections. Plus, if you have a reservation to eat, you don't have to pay for entrance to the Space Needle.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 5:39 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
There's also a Starbucks on the 40th floor with a pretty sweet view ... no ticket required
Old Sep 11, 2014, 9:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by missydarlin
There's also a Starbucks on the 40th floor with a pretty sweet view ... no ticket required
...it being Starbucks might be about the same cost

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.