FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Seattle questions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1610825-seattle-questions.html)

mjghughes Sep 7, 2014 1:55 pm

Seattle questions

Apologies if this is a little off normal topic.

I am flying into seattle on BA F in November, and will have an afternoon/evening in seattle prior to taking the Alaska puddle hopper to York the following day.

One of the reasons I am doing a F flight is that it is a big b'day for me.

Looking for recommendations from the flyer talk community as what to do and more to the point, where to eat as a single traveller in sea of a Friday evening. Recommendations for live music venues (rock, indie) would be well received as well.

Oh, and if anyone is in a position to guest into the board room on 22 nov am, that would be brilliant as well.

Many thanks.

PDXPremier Sep 7, 2014 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by mjghughes (Post 23489311)
Apologies if this is a little off normal topic.

I am flying into seattle on BA F in November, and will have an afternoon/evening in seattle prior to taking the Alaska puddle hopper to York the following day.

One of the reasons I am doing a F flight is that it is a big b'day for me.

Looking for recommendations from the flyer talk community as what to do and more to the point, where to eat as a single traveller in sea of a Friday evening. Recommendations for live music venues (rock, indie) would be well received as well.

Oh, and if anyone is in a position to guest into the board room on 22 nov am, that would be brilliant as well.

Many thanks.

Huh? The only York I can think of is in PA and I know Alaska doesn't fly there....I assume by "puddle hopper", you mean Alaska's partner Horizon Air but they too don't fly to York.

Lots to do in Seattle and since you can take the light rail from the airport to downtown, you don't need to take a taxi or rent a car. I always have to walk the waterfront, take a ferry, and of course go to Pike Place Market (which may not be open very late)....if I were to eat somewhere yummy that won't cost me an arm and a leg, I would choose Ivar's on the waterfront (they have a sit down restaurant as well as the counter service one).

mjghughes Sep 7, 2014 2:33 pm

Oops. Meant to type YVR. Autocorrect strikes again. Thanks for the suggestion.

u2g0d Sep 7, 2014 2:55 pm

Agree with the post above - take the light rail to Westlake (last stop) and walk down to the Pike pl market, first starbucks and other touristy stuff. Pike place closes around 5, iirc.

Then head back to Westlake and take the 'monorail' to Seattle center and go up the Space Needle for the view, go to the Experience Music project and Science Fiction museum or the Science center if you're into such things.

Then take the monorail back to Westlake and walk over to Triple Door which is a live music venue downtown. Looks like they'll have the 'Atomic Bombshells' that night: http://www.thetripledoor.net/Calenda...ate=2014-11-22

If you want something wilder, you can check out the bar scene on 10th Ave and Pike/Pine though it mainly caters to the 20something crowd.

tombiro Sep 7, 2014 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by mjghughes (Post 23489311)

Agree on the Triple Door recommendation, but if you're looking for a meal - even for a solo diner - you're in the right place. If you're downtown, I highly recommend RN74 (French, one of the best wine lists in the city); Bar Sajor in Pioneer Square (Mediterranean cuisine, good wine list); Spinasse (Italian, Capitol Hill, probably some of the best pasta in town). There are dozens and dozens of good restaurants in town, most of which offer bar seating if you're into that sort of thing. If you're feeling daring, take a taxi/UberX/whatever to Magnolia and eat at Tanglewood Supreme. Ask Kent to sit at the bar if you can, and do the tasting menu - it's about $45 and is outstanding.

Weather will be TBD at that point, but all of those other options are walkable from the downtown area.

Enjoy Seattle!

missamo80 Sep 7, 2014 7:06 pm

Plus, if you don't want to eat alone, I bet several folks here would be up for a random dinner on a Friday evening with a jetlagged-to-hell Brit just passing through :)

Neil

kileysmom Sep 7, 2014 7:36 pm

And if you go to the Seattle Center, the exhibition of Dale Chihuly glass is absolutely incredible. Well worth the hour or so it takes to go through it. It's just next to the Space Needle.

mjghughes Sep 8, 2014 11:38 am

Thanks for all the useful suggestions! I'm liking the look of the Tanglewood Supreme, and may well take up missamo80's idea as well nearer the time!
Thanks for your time to read and respond - flyertalk rarely disappoints.

98103 Sep 8, 2014 4:16 pm

I'd suggest skipping EMP. Over priced and underwhelming. If your flight to Vancouver isn't way early you should consider staying downtown to take full advantage. Otherwise the Westlake stRippers a last train time around midnight I think. Or check a link on the airport web site.

nwflyboy Sep 8, 2014 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by 98103 (Post 23495366)
I'd suggest skipping EMP. Over priced and underwhelming...

What he said.

Things to note:

It rains a lot here during half the year. We often get really, really miserable hard sideways day-long deluges in November. Maybe you'l get lucky, but don't count on it. If it's really crappy outside, and it often is at that time of year, I would not want to be wandering the streets. Settle on a nice, dry, warm place and relax. If you're British (and I think you are), you should have some sense about that kind of weather.

About Ivars and the waterfront: Fuggedaboudit. First, while their fish & chips are OK (by local standards), it's basic deep fried stuff, cheap and heavy. Fine as far as it goes, but it's more of a local institution (old cute TV commercials) than great food. But that's besides the point: the morons who run the city have completely torn up the waterfront to remake it for the Disney cruise ship crowds, and I believe Ivars is actually closed for a few years. In any case, while it might be a pleasant way to kill a little time on a nice August day, there is absolutely no reason to go to the waterfront in November, given what will probably be the wet weather and your limited time.

On a cold, wet, gray November day, Seattle can be a pretty scummy looking place, despite all its pretensions. If it were me, I'd head for someplace warm, dry and with good food (like Los Angeles...). Closer to home, the Triple Door isn't a bad recommendation. I'm not sure the trip out to Magnolia (a mostly residential neighborhood) is worth it. Plenty of decent food options closer to the center.

ScoobyScott Sep 9, 2014 12:53 am

Originally Posted by 98103 (Post 23495366)
I'd suggest skipping EMP. Over priced and underwhelming.

I liked the EMP Museum, only $20. I am really into music!

beckoa Sep 9, 2014 2:07 am

Was wondering what was happening to the waterfront....walked down it this Feb (was a bit brisk & had some showers, but overall a nice layover)

MonThruThurs Sep 9, 2014 7:40 am

There's never a bad time to visit the market even if it is only for an hour. Additionally, there are some good local spots there that do not draw tourists (Michou, Los Agaves, Radiator Whiskey, and a plethora of Tom Douglas eats).

Fun fact about Triple Door is that they get their food from the Wild Ginger kitchen. Little known secret.

Also, tombrio definitely knows what he's talking about! But, there are some newer places that I think would be a little more interesting, or maybe I'm just jaded now: Roux, Revel, Westward, Mamnoon -- the list is endless!

flyupfrnt Sep 9, 2014 9:37 am

Originally Posted by nwflyboy (Post 23496501)
What he said.

Originally Posted by nwflyboy (Post 23496501)
I believe Ivars is actually closed for a few years.

Not sure where you came up with this theory - Ivar's is open - both the walkup seafood bar and the waterfront Fine dining restaurant!

ou81two Sep 9, 2014 10:55 am

Originally Posted by u2g0d (Post 23489542)
Agree with the post above - take the light rail to Westlake (last stop) and walk down to the Pike pl market, first starbucks and other touristy stuff. Pike place closes around 5, iirc.

Then head back to Westlake and take the 'monorail' to Seattle center and go up the Space Needle for the view, go to the Experience Music project and Science Fiction museum or the Science center if you're into such things.

Then take the monorail back to Westlake and walk over to Triple Door which is a live music venue downtown. Looks like they'll have the 'Atomic Bombshells' that night: http://www.thetripledoor.net/Calenda...ate=2014-11-22

If you want something wilder, you can check out the bar scene on 10th Ave and Pike/Pine though it mainly caters to the 20something crowd.

I'd recommend the same. I'd skip the Sciii museum though. It's just a tax writeoff for Balmer's geeky collection. Pollstar.com is a great way to find local concerts.