Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Window shades *MUST* be down?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2014, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Im usually the nice guy who keeps the window closed but im sick and tired of getting jetlag due to lack of sun during awake time.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 5:35 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Yeah....

How tall are you? Trust me, you don't speak for anyone 6 feet or taller.
Well I'm 6'4" and I use the recline to help my back, so as long as the airlines let me recline the seat, I'm going to use it (Bulkheads are Great!)

As for the shades, that's why I bring my eye mask and sleep no matter who is controlling the shades.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by chimphappyhour
I pick a window seat on purpose. I like to look out it, I always have. There's always something to see. Even on night time TPACs, I have my window open and I'm looking out. I'm sorry (not really) if some here can't understand and feel entitled to having all shades closed but really, that's too bad. My take on it is that part of what I'm paying for is the view and I'm going to do so. If that FA is on a flight I'm on, they're in for a tough fight.
You're not paying for the view, you're paying for transportation from Point A to Point B. Your seat assignment could change for operational reasons, and no airline has a Contract of Carriage that guarantees seat assignments.

If you complained to customer relations asking for a partial refund because you missed out on the view, you'd be told to go pound sand.

It's just common decency. @:-)
Old Jul 2, 2014, 6:46 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by United757
You're not paying for the view, you're paying for transportation from Point A to Point B. Your seat assignment could change for operational reasons, and no airline has a Contract of Carriage that guarantees seat assignments.

If you complained to customer relations asking for a partial refund because you missed out on the view, you'd be told to go pound sand.

I pick a window seat so I can look outside, even if it's just out of my peripheral vision. Planes would be cheaper to build and operate if there were no passenger windows, there is a reason why they still have them.

To say that it's common decency to close the window shades...
Old Jul 2, 2014, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold

Yet for some reason, the airlines themselves place a value on window seats, going as far as monetizing their preselection, or reserving them for elites. Why do you think they are a preferred seat? The airlines definitely wouldn't do as well with the crowd if they ask, "Which seat do you prefer... aisle, middle, or wall?"

So, yes, you actually are "paying for the view."
Old Jul 3, 2014, 12:16 am

I'm an infrequent flyer - once a year when I go on holiday if I'm lucky - and as such I always book a window seat. The reason is that seeing the world from 35,000 feet never fails to amaze me and you get to see things that you'll never see in everyday life.

On transatlantic flights I always pick the side of the plane that faces north (so starboard on the outbound flights and port on the way home) and as a result if the blinds are open there's no direct sunlight streaming in. The rewards are to see things such as the glaciers of Greenland, the mountains of Scotland and the tundra of Canada - all interesting to see if you live in the green lowlands of southern England!

On the way back, when it's dark, I keep the blinds closed (unless the pilot makes an announcement that the aurora borealis is visible, which has happened a couple of times) but on the way out I generally keep the blinds open. If I close the blinds outbound it'll be during the time when the only view is of the Atlantic.

On shorthaul flights within Europe I apply a similar technique, but these flights are normally day flights and people don't tend to sleep on those. It's actually unusual in my experience on daytime intra-Europe flights to see many windows closed.

Next year I'm flying on Alaska to various places in Alaska and Canada and I've already booked a window seat - I'm going to make as much of the view as I can, as I'm unlikely to return for a long time (if ever). I'm not going to give up a "once in a lifetime" opportunity to see aerial views of the mountains near Anchorage, of Denali or the tundra up north if I can help it!
Old Jul 3, 2014, 1:35 am

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Originally Posted by chimphappyhour
I pick a window seat on purpose. I like to look out it, I always have. There's always something to see. Even on night time TPACs, I have my window open and I'm looking out. I'm sorry (not really) if some here can't understand and feel entitled to having all shades closed but really, that's too bad. My take on it is that part of what I'm paying for is the view and I'm going to do so. If that FA is on a flight I'm on, they're in for a tough fight.
This is basically turning into a battle of the open windowers vs. the closed windowers, and could probably go on for a hundred pages.

But since the war has already begun, why not...

chimphappyhour...+1

Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by LAXative
Yet for some reason, the airlines themselves place a value on window seats, going as far as monetizing their preselection, or reserving them for elites. Why do you think they are a preferred seat? The airlines definitely wouldn't do as well with the crowd if they ask, "Which seat do you prefer... aisle, middle, or wall?"

So, yes, you actually are "paying for the view."
Read the contract of carriage and get back to me.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Read the contract of carriage and get back to me.
Does that same CoC mandate how the window shade gets used for departure, taxi, takeoff, at cruising altitude, descent, landing, taxi, and arrival at the gate?

You can get back to me, thanks.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by alphaeagle
I pick a window seat so I can look outside, even if it's just out of my peripheral vision. Planes would be cheaper to build and operate if there were no passenger windows, there is a reason why they still have them.

To say that it's common decency to close the window shades...
I'm not saying that passengers should keep window shades closed all the time, but sometimes it's inappropriate to keep them open. This is a very situation-dependent issue, and maybe I'm biased because I travel internationally quite often (read: long haul red-eyes), and more than most on this board. I'd also say a majority of the eastbound midcons and transcons I take are redeyes.

For example, on a redeye where the majority of passengers are trying to sleep, it's selfish to light up the entire cabin and "disturb the peace." I often pick window seats, but I have the tact to know when to keep the shade open and when to keep it closed.

To the main point: I think it's ridiculous that the FA wanted window shades closed for takeoff. It's a safety hazard, and if it's dark out, then there's really no reason to keep them closed.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by LAXative
Does that same CoC mandate how the window shade gets used for departure, taxi, takeoff, at cruising altitude, descent, landing, taxi, and arrival at the gate?

You can get back to me, thanks.
You're misunderstanding what I'm saying - I'm not talking about window shades.

People pay for transportation from Point A to Point B (in the airline's eyes), and there's no basis for compensation if you end up moved from your window seat to one "without a view." This is in nearly every airline's CoC.

Of course, Alaska may offer you a "gesture of goodwill" if you're inconvenienced by a seat change due to operational reasons, but it's not because you paid for that window seat. There's definitely a basis for a refund if you've paid ancillary fees to sit in a window seat (like on United), but that's not currently an option with Alaska. However, there's not going to be a refund of the fare because you didn't get what you (believe) you paid for.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Window seats are the best, IMO, because you can lean against the wall in addition to the view.

As I said before, I usually get window seats, but I also usually close the shade. I think on flights where most people are trying to sleep, shades should generally be closed. Lights can be used for those that need to read or work.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: AS 75K, AA EXP, Hilton Gold
I always select a window seat because of the view. Always enjoy seeing some sun and natural light helps when it comes to reading. I'm willing to close half way if necessary, but will not shut it. And interesting to note Boeing brags about having larger windows on the 787. Do you think it is for purpose of closing the shades??
Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D257 Safari/9537.53)

Before the UA merger I used CO as my backup, and it was great. I flew them enough to get Silver, which was usually enough to get upgraded on their SEA-ANC flights.

Now I use DL as my backup. Yeah yeah SkyPesos, bullying AS, all that stuff. At the end of the day, they have a decent schedule out of ANC and connecting in MSP is more direct than SEA if you're headed to the east coast.

I also have a 7H account for intra-Alaska stuff that I can't credit to AS.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: AS Million Miler since 2011, Lifetime MVPG
Originally Posted by Retron
I'm an infrequent flyer - once a year when I go on holiday if I'm lucky - and as such I always book a window seat. The reason is that seeing the world from 35,000 feet never fails to amaze me and you get to see things that you'll never see in everyday life.
I'm a fairly frequent flier. Just commuting to work for the past 20 years (on my own dime I might add) I have had 1,560 take-offs and landings. Add in vacation travel and I've no doubt I am approaching 2,000 separate flights. To this day I ALWAYS choose a window seat. I am still in awe of air travel. I love looking out of the window no matter where in the world I am flying, even if it is SEA-ANC for the 520th time. I've seen it all and I want to see it again.

I will close the shade if instructed by an FA but other than that, sorry, I like the view.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.