Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Window shades *MUST* be down?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by slopeboy40
I'm a fairly frequent flier. Just commuting to work for the past 20 years (on my own dime I might add) I have had 1,560 take-offs and landings. Add in vacation travel and I've no doubt I am approaching 2,000 separate flights. To this day I ALWAYS choose a window seat. I am still in awe of air travel. I love looking out of the window no matter where in the world I am flying, even if it is SEA-ANC for the 520th time. I've seen it all and I want to see it again.

I will close the shade if instructed by an FA but other than that, sorry, I like the view.
This. +1 ^
Though, I would ask the FA why I need to close the shade. If it's for someone else's comfort, I'll politely refuse and indicate I've considered their plight, but I didn't have any eye shades to offer them, so I would apologize for not being able to succumb to their needs.

That said, I am courteous. During morning or sunset flights when the sun is low and has a tendency to come straight into people's eyes, I'm always looking (especially during turns) to lower the shades to avoid the laser blast of sun directly into their eyes. During turns, I must be something comical to watch as I'll raise/lower the shade as necessary to follow the sun line...
Old Jul 3, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by pdxasflyer
This. +1 ^
That said, I am courteous. During morning or sunset flights when the sun is low and has a tendency to come straight into people's eyes, I'm always looking (especially during turns) to lower the shades to avoid the laser blast of sun directly into their eyes. During turns, I must be something comical to watch as I'll raise/lower the shade as necessary to follow the sun line...
^^^^ THIS
I have often been "blinded" by sun directly in my eyes. I use the in-flight GoGo card to block the light for the short time it is painful. Yes, I understand full well that my pain is not the concern of those wanting shades open. that is why I used to GoGo card.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 12:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D257 Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by Chugach
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D257 Safari/9537.53)

Before the UA merger I used CO as my backup, and it was great. I flew them enough to get Silver, which was usually enough to get upgraded on their SEA-ANC flights.

Now I use DL as my backup. Yeah yeah SkyPesos, bullying AS, all that stuff. At the end of the day, they have a decent schedule out of ANC and connecting in MSP is more direct than SEA if you're headed to the east coast.

I also have a 7H account for intra-Alaska stuff that I can't credit to AS.
Whoa...wrong thread. Mods, please delete.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
I offer the following observations from an operational perspective (as I don't believe I have seen this particular twist yet addressed in the thread):

When I <gasp> sit in Coach, it's normally in the exit row, and normally in an aisle seat. There have been instances where my window-seat-based row-mate has lowered the window shade either prior to takeoff or on landing approach.

In these situations, the FA has instructed the window seat person to kindly raise the shade so the exit row pax can have a clear view of hazards in case an emergency evacuation is needed.

Intuitively, this makes sense to me as window shades could become unmovable in the event of a bad landing or crash. So, best to have them up to begin with.

Of course, there could be a school of thought that a bad landing or crash could cause the lowering of a window shade by virtue of impact force.

The truth is out there somewhere!
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by dave1013
I offer the following observations from an operational perspective (as I don't believe I have seen this particular twist yet addressed in the thread):

When I <gasp> sit in Coach, it's normally in the exit row, and normally in an aisle seat. There have been instances where my window-seat-based row-mate has lowered the window shade either prior to takeoff or on landing approach.

In these situations, the FA has instructed the window seat person to kindly raise the shade so the exit row pax can have a clear view of hazards in case an emergency evacuation is needed.

Intuitively, this makes sense to me as window shades could become unmovable in the event of a bad landing or crash. So, best to have them up to begin with.

Of course, there could be a school of thought that a bad landing or crash could cause the lowering of a window shade by virtue of impact force.

The truth is out there somewhere!
Other airlines may have an FAA Cabin Safety Inspector that requires something different, but at Alaska there is nothing to say that window shades must be open for taxi, take-off or landing. As for the window shade becoming stuck, they're really flimsy. One good pull and it would rip right out. It happens every so often when someone gets a little aggressive with them.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 7:49 am

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by United757
You're not paying for the view, you're paying for transportation from Point A to Point B. Your seat assignment could change for operational reasons, and no airline has a Contract of Carriage that guarantees seat assignments.

If you complained to customer relations asking for a partial refund because you missed out on the view, you'd be told to go pound sand.

It's just common decency. @:-)
I never said anything about the CoC but if the airline is going to put windows on the plane, then they obviously expect us to use them. Since it is a view you can't get anywhere else, you're paying for it. Like I said, that's my take on it and some seem to agree.

Actually, if I complained to CR, I'd very likely get compensation.

As for common decency.... no. Common decency is to realize that some people sit by a window and actually want to use it and that it is their right just as it is your right to try to sleep or whatever. It's also common decency to realize that if you can't sleep in daylight, the burden is on you to bring what you need to do so if that's what you want to do because, well, it's daylight out. Don't like it? Go live in a cave.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 3:01 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Spend 3 hrs on a SAAB flying ANC-DUT and just try to lower the window shades! Passengers also manage without reclining their seats. Come on people - get over it.

Windows are for looking out of. The world is a wonderful place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.