Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Window shades *MUST* be down?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2014, 9:15 pm

I can only add that...

to all the idiots on the AMS-SEA flight DL 0152 yesterday who kept their window shades open - I wish you a week of insomnia. OP may be closely related to these people.

Why on a flight where you are on the plane for over 10 hours would people want to keep the window shades open. Even if you aren't sleeping, watch a move. Not much to see out the window for a lot of that flight and most people really want it dark either for movie watching or for sleeping.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 9:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D201 Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by 33teeth
to all the idiots on the AMS-SEA flight DL 0152 yesterday who kept their window shades open - I wish you a week of insomnia. OP may be closely related to these people.

Why on a flight where you are on the plane for over 10 hours would people want to keep the window shades open. Even if you aren't sleeping, watch a move. Not much to see out the window for a lot of that flight and most people really want it dark either for movie watching or for sleeping.
10 hours in a tube with no natural light? Screw that. Buy an eyeshade if it's that big of a deal.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Chugach
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D201 Safari/9537.53)

10 hours in a tube with no natural light? Screw that. Buy an eyeshade if it's that big of a deal.
Have one. I just don't understand why a person will open the shade (especially when they aren't looking out the window) when it's likely bothering a lot of fellow passengers. Suck it up and try to make things easy for everyone. I could bring some stinky seafood and tell you to bring a nose plug too. Or I could watch movies on a laptop with no headphones (as woman on a BA flight was recently doing) and tell you to get earplugs.

Common decency.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by Chugach
Well, AS customer service disagrees, as do I.
technically speaking, Flight Attendants are supposed to read their announcements from a scripted book. The invitation to recline one's chair doesn't appear anywhere in the book. As a person that prefers to stick to what is asked of us, it does make me slightly hypocritical if I don't really see a problem with this announcement. I guess the reason it doesn't really bother me is because the announcement is meant to make one feel welcome and invite them to be comfortable. It's not meant to make you miserable. I've heard FA's make announcements that are just embarrassing so this one just doesn't bother me. None the less, it isn't part of any of the scripted announcements so probably better just not made.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 9:42 pm

Have one. I just don't understand why a person will open the shade (especially when they aren't looking out the window) when it's likely bothering a lot of fellow passengers. Suck it up and try to make things easy for everyone. I could bring some stinky seafood and tell you to bring a nose plug too. Or I could watch movies on a laptop with no headphones (as woman on a BA flight was recently doing) and tell you to get earplugs.

Common decency.
Common decency is also not subjecting someone to 10 hours of unwanted darkness. You say tomato, I say tomato. Your wants aren't any more important than my wants.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Yeah....

How tall are you? Trust me, you don't speak for anyone 6 feet or taller.
What does one even say to a post like this? I guess to take a page of your book says it best.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
technically speaking, Flight Attendants are supposed to read their announcements from a scripted book. The invitation to recline one's chair doesn't appear anywhere in the book. As a person that prefers to stick to what is asked of us, it does make me slightly hypocritical if I don't really see a problem with this announcement. I guess the reason it doesn't really bother me is because the announcement is meant to make one feel welcome and invite them to be comfortable. It's not meant to make you miserable. I've heard FA's make announcements that are just embarrassing so this one just doesn't bother me. None the less, it isn't part of any of the scripted announcements so probably better just not made.
That makes more sense, and is probably what triggered the apology for AS. And let's face it, with the new Recaro seats in Y, when someone reclines their seat it removes any last vestibule of free space. Moreso than the old seats, at least IMO.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 10:14 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
I've heard FA's make an announcement after takeoff to the effect of, "we invite you to recline your seat to a more comfortable position, relax and enjoy your flight". It's usually mentioned at the close of their 10,000 foot announcement. I see nothing wrong with this.
The problem with reclining any airline seat is that now the back of your seat has invaded (if you will) the standing up space of the person behind you. Once the seat pitch was reduced, all airlines have reduced the ability to stand upright. That leads to all those complaints about pushing/banging/pulling on seat backs, or about crushed limbs. If seats reclined the way those recliners that are supposed to be able to be up against a wall reclined (they move forward into their own space, not into the space behind) then we probably would not be hearing over and over about the reclining seat issue. Any crushed knees would be on the person that is doing the reclining. Of course, this is one of those never ending, with no solution issues, destined to be forever more.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 10:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Agree with enjoying the light- real exciting see a jet shoot by on another trek.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 11:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

What does one even say to a post like this? I guess to take a page of your book says it best.
Miss your nap today, Grumpy?
Old Jun 30, 2014, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Miss your nap today, Grumpy?
I did. I'm always cranky when I miss my nap.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by ctporter
The problem with reclining any airline seat is that now the back of your seat has invaded (if you will) the standing up space of the person behind you. Once the seat pitch was reduced, all airlines have reduced the ability to stand upright. That leads to all those complaints about pushing/banging/pulling on seat backs, or about crushed limbs. If seats reclined the way those recliners that are supposed to be able to be up against a wall reclined (they move forward into their own space, not into the space behind) then we probably would not be hearing over and over about the reclining seat issue. Any crushed knees would be on the person that is doing the reclining. Of course, this is one of those never ending, with no solution issues, destined to be forever more.

True that. Space is precious onboard these days. I thought I heard that the way the new Recaro seats recline is just as you describe. I don't know that though - and apparently, from reading posts here, I may very well be wrong. All we can do is do our best to make it as painless as possible. Honestly, I don't find it to me any more comfortable when my seat is reclined so i never do.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by ctporter
The solution is to remove the ability to recline on most flights. I almost never recline, and I get annoyed when people in front of me do recline, but I blame the airline and the plane manufacturers for that issue compared to passengers.

When it comes to window shades, I typically lift my shade during landing so I can see the approach, but otherwise keep it closed, especially on long flights... unless we are flying over some landmark, upon which I'll open the shade. I was on a 787 recently, and most of the windows were shaded, it was lovely.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 6:43 am

Programs: DL
I pick a window seat on purpose. I like to look out it, I always have. There's always something to see. Even on night time TPACs, I have my window open and I'm looking out. I'm sorry (not really) if some here can't understand and feel entitled to having all shades closed but really, that's too bad. My take on it is that part of what I'm paying for is the view and I'm going to do so. If that FA is on a flight I'm on, they're in for a tough fight.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres

Common decency.
This. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.