Window shades *MUST* be down?

Old Jun 30, 2014, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Window shades *MUST* be down?

Currently on AS130 to PDX and listening to an FA announcement stating that the window shades must be DOWN during takeoff and the whole flight. Explanation given is for the comfort of sleeping pax since it's daylight at this time.

Of course I'm at a window seat because I like to look out. Many other threads about who controls the window but this is the first time I've heard that the shade has to be down for takeoff and landing.

If this was a safety issue I'd understand, but this seems like the exact opposite. Is there a formal policy by AS on this? Do I have an FA who's improv-ing inappropriately?

Waiting to depart. My shades are open.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I can understand having it down during overnight flight in the land of the midnight sun but in many (or is it most) countries having it down during take off and landing is a safety issue.

Last edited by CDKing; Jun 30, 2014 at 6:20 am
Old Jun 30, 2014, 6:18 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

For me it is a matter of claustrophobia. I need to be able to look out and see the ground during a daylight flight. ( especially during take-off and landing)

If you need to sleep use an eye mask. If you want to watch a movie....this isn't a theater so put up with a little light please in exchange for this passenger's sense of well being.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 6:43 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
This is strange.

Also, I don't see what they can do from the point they're told to sit down by the FO and until they're released from their seats.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 8:37 am

Send a note to AS. I hate it when FAs make crap up.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by flytoeat
Send a note to AS. I hate it when FAs make crap up.
this
Old Jun 30, 2014, 3:54 pm

About as stern as I've ever heard this is on something like a direct back from CDG or AMS on DL when they suggest closing them to keep the cabin dark "out of courtesy for those who would like to sleep or watch movies" - don't see how you should have to keep the shade closed in any random seat for the whole flight.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 4:24 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
I've been told that the lights have to be turned down for take off and landing at night so that eyes are adjusted to the dark in case there is an emergency and people have to move. Crew usually ask that you lower your shade so others can see their movies but I've never heard that it is a requirement on any airline anywhere. I suppose if you know you want your shade up, try to sit where it impacts the least number of people and to have only one shade up. I'm really interested in whether this FA was correct!
Old Jun 30, 2014, 4:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D201 Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by LAXative
Currently on AS130 to PDX and listening to an FA announcement stating that the window shades must be DOWN during takeoff and the whole flight. Explanation given is for the comfort of sleeping pax since it's daylight at this time.

Of course I'm at a window seat because I like to look out. Many other threads about who controls the window but this is the first time I've heard that the shade has to be down for takeoff and landing.

If this was a safety issue I'd understand, but this seems like the exact opposite. Is there a formal policy by AS on this? Do I have an FA who's improv-ing inappropriately?

Fill out the survey at alaskalistens.com. I would be annoyed if it were me. The worst possible flight I can think of is the seat on front of you reclined on your knees and the window shade in your row shut. At least on a Q400 you don't have to worry about either.

I was on 143 about a month ago and the FA got on the intercom after we passed 10k feet and said, and I quote, "please press the button on your armrest and recline your seat". I sent feedback regarding my displeasure and got $50 in flight credit and a very apologetic letter saying that FA's should not be encouraging passengers in that way. AS does listen to that type of feedback.

I get that most people are going to recline their seat or shut the window shade regardless and that is just one of the hassles of flying (or perks if you like shutting the window shade), but sheesh they don't have to encourage it.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by LAXative

Sometimes it is best to pretend not to have heard something. On the ground in hot weather, it makes sense they be closed to keep the plane cool. Otherwise.....
Old Jun 30, 2014, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Chugach
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D201 Safari/9537.53)

Fill out the survey at alaskalistens.com. I would be annoyed if it were me. The worst possible flight I can think of is the seat on front of you reclined on your knees and the window shade in your row shut. At least on a Q400 you don't have to worry about either.

I was on 143 about a month ago and the FA got on the intercom after we passed 10k feet and said, and I quote, "please press the button on your armrest and recline your seat". I sent feedback regarding my displeasure and got $50 in flight credit and a very apologetic letter saying that FA's should not be encouraging passengers in that way. AS does listen to that type of feedback.

I get that most people are going to recline their seat or shut the window shade regardless and that is just one of the hassles of flying (or perks if you like shutting the window shade), but sheesh they don't have to encourage it.
I've heard FA's make an announcement after takeoff to the effect of, "we invite you to recline your seat to a more comfortable position, relax and enjoy your flight". It's usually mentioned at the close of their 10,000 foot announcement. I see nothing wrong with this.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
I've heard FA's make an announcement after takeoff to the effect of, "we invite you to recline your seat to a more comfortable position, relax and enjoy your flight". It's usually mentioned at the close of their 10,000 foot announcement. I see nothing wrong with this.
Yeah....

How tall are you? Trust me, you don't speak for anyone 6 feet or taller.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
I see nothing wrong with this.
Well, AS customer service disagrees, as do I.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Yeah....

How tall are you? Trust me, you don't speak for anyone 6 feet or taller.
No kidding. I try to avoid doing it because I know how miserable it can make someone else's flight.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 8:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

I've been in CX F before with this request...kept 1 of 3 windows open watching the Aleutians.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.