Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

I got/didn't get a MVP/GOLD/75K upgrade on AS (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 24, 2014, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
Please post your upgrade successes & failures including:

Date
Route (Please bold if failure)
Flight Number
Status
Add companion if there was one
Time the upgrade cleared or position on waitlist if didn't clear

Examples:

2/2/15 BOS-PDX AS 35 75K Upgrade cleared at T-120 hours
8/1/15 DFW-SEA AS 665 MVPG Didn't clear 4/22 on waitlist
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold, US Gold, AS MVP Gold
On 2/20, I was flying with my parents on SEA-BWI. All three of us used my guest upgrade certificate but I noticed there's only 1 person on the upgrade list who didn't clear an upgrade at the gate. The F was 14/16 full when the door closed (main cabin is maybe half full?). The FA then went back to the main cabin and moved a 75K upfront next to me (I guess that's the 75K not being listed thing you guys are talking about???)... She did apologize to the 75K along the lines of "They messed up the upgrade list but we got you covered..."
I guess my questions are:
1. Is SEA-BWI a really elite light route for transcon or is it just because it's a Friday? Cuz I always feel like it's really hard for a MVPG to be upgraded on transcon...
2. Does this 75K/MVPG not being listed thing happen fairly often nowadays?
Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jasonq
On 2/20, I was flying with my parents on SEA-BWI. All three of us used my guest upgrade certificate but I noticed there's only 1 person on the upgrade list who didn't clear an upgrade at the gate. The F was 14/16 full when the door closed (main cabin is maybe half full?). The FA then went back to the main cabin and moved a 75K upfront next to me (I guess that's the 75K not being listed thing you guys are talking about???)... She did apologize to the 75K along the lines of "They messed up the upgrade list but we got you covered..."
I guess my questions are:
1. Is SEA-BWI a really elite light route for transcon or is it just because it's a Friday? Cuz I always feel like it's really hard for a MVPG to be upgraded on transcon...
2. Does this 75K/MVPG not being listed thing happen fairly often nowadays?
1. Transcons on AS are weird...with the exception of EWR-SEA, they are totally dependent on the day...sometimes even MVPs get upgraded and sometimes you've got 75Ks sitting in the back....I didn't use my Gold Upgrade Cert to upgrade SEA-PHL since it seemed "wide open" at booking but F space quickly disappeared as the upgrade windows approached...on the way back, I was easily upgraded at my 72-hour window...no problem.

2. The auto upgrade processor is, for all practical purposes, not working correctly and AS seems aware of the problem...it must be a tough fix since it's been like this for weeks with no fix in sight
Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry, Hertz 5*
2/20 DCA-SEA 634p departure: No UG.
2/21 SEA-OAK 407p departure: 2 Confirmed MVP Gold Guest UG @ booking. Formerly MVPG when booked.
-
3/1 SJC-SEA 927a departure: 1 (Mrs. AD) UG @ gate. (Notable because I'm MVP but she's not, and I think the gate attendant gave us a break), out of 7.
3/1 SEA-DCA 215p departure: No UG, waiting list #15 and 27, out of 44.

1/2 UG percentage out of 4 segments (.125 avg.) so far, but then again, this year I'm a lowly MVP traveling with a companion...

-AD
Old Mar 2, 2015, 3:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold, US Gold, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
1. Transcons on AS are weird...with the exception of EWR-SEA, they are totally dependent on the day...sometimes even MVPs get upgraded and sometimes you've got 75Ks sitting in the back....I didn't use my Gold Upgrade Cert to upgrade SEA-PHL since it seemed "wide open" at booking but F space quickly disappeared as the upgrade windows approached...on the way back, I was easily upgraded at my 72-hour window...no problem.

2. The auto upgrade processor is, for all practical purposes, not working correctly and AS seems aware of the problem...it must be a tough fix since it's been like this for weeks with no fix in sight
Yeah, I had the exact same situation. SEA-PHL run on a Saturday two weeks in a row. Didn't get the upgrade on the outbound but cleared both times on the way back... I am kinda glad it worked out that way since PHL-SEA is a longer flight...
Old Mar 2, 2015, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jasonq
Yeah, I had the exact same situation. SEA-PHL run on a Saturday two weeks in a row. Didn't get the upgrade on the outbound but cleared both times on the way back... I am kinda glad it worked out that way since PHL-SEA is a longer flight...
Yeah, Saturdays are normally good days for transcon upgrades but not SEA-PHL....the only thing I think of is possible connection traffic to AA/US flights....I don't think as many folks connect in BWI.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 3:41 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Yeah, Saturdays are normally good days for transcon upgrades but not SEA-PHL....the only thing I think of is possible connection traffic to AA/US flights....I don't think as many folks connect in BWI.
I'm doing a SEA-PHL-SEA turn this coming Saturday and got upgraded on both segments @ T-120. 75K
Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:35 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
on AS 66 JNU-SEA on the 7th, cleared at the T-120 window, and it looks like 2 other MVPG75k's as well. Still showing U6 in Sabre, so we may have some happy Golds on that flight.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 11:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,United Miles plus Hawaiian Air AirTran SWA

Last minute Purchase
3 pm on 3/3 for OGG SJC on 3/4
189 dollars
MVP-G upgrade immediately
Old Mar 4, 2015, 6:36 am

Programs: AS: MVPG, Hyatt: P, SPG: G, Marriott: G, IHG: P
3/4 SLC-SFO
upgrade cleared at T-72hrs, and the FC looks empty when I pick my FC seat.

Also, checkin at SLC is madness
Old Mar 5, 2015, 12:48 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
3/5 PHX-SEA 8a departure: UG @ 120 hr. At checkin I get a "your seat will be assigned at the airport" message. Come to find out our 739ER was swapped with a 73G and EF showed absolutely no seats available in F or Y. . Ended up getting upgraded again at the airport. Managed to push 10 min early too. ^

3/5 SEA-PHX 830p departure: UG @ 120 hr. Much calmer experience heading home.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 6:20 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by fishywang
checkin at SLC is madness
How so?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:51 am

Programs: AS: MVPG, Hyatt: P, SPG: G, Marriott: G, IHG: P
Originally Posted by dayone
How so?
Maybe "madness" is a word too strong, "huge mess" might be more appropriate.

I guess it's because the terminal is just too small. There's no counter for MVP/FC, actually the only counter is for "other service", and everybody is asked to use the kiosk for self checkin and printing the luggage tag, and then there're 2 agents scanning your luggage tag (again, no priority for FC/MVP, and the line is a mess), then you drop your luggage somewhere.

I was thinking about SDC to SLC-SJC at the counter of checkin, as I was at the airport 2 hours early, can catch that flight, but since there's no counter at all, I just gave up (also I guess SLC-SFO can't SDC to SLC-SJC).

This is certainly a bad first impression for the airport.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 12:52 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
AS 664 on 3/3/15, was 5th of 37 - no upgrade
AS 667 on 3/6/15, currently 3rd of 14, could drop down further closer to flight
75k MVPG
Old Mar 6, 2015, 1:01 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by ctporter
AS 664 on 3/3/15, was 5th of 37 - no upgrade
AS 667 on 3/6/15, currently 3rd of 14, could drop down further closer to flight
75k MVPG
DFW<->SEA upgrades are very tough. There have been 75Ks in Y on all my recent flights.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 2:46 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
2/27/15: AS29 (ORD-SEA), U showed up a few weeks prior so I called to up-fare to instant upgrade. The airport upgrade list was 57 long when I boarded. I've had decent luck with U opening up on this route 3-4 weeks ahead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.