Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2015 Alaska Airlines First Class Food (REPORTS ONLY from Jan-July, closed to posting)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2014, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
This is an archive of reports from January through July of 2015. This thread is closed to posting. Please post your reports and discussion of the First Class food offerings on Alaska Airlines in this thread:

Print Wikipost

2015 Alaska Airlines First Class Food (REPORTS ONLY from Jan-July, closed to posting)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2015, 5:18 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
5/31 PHX-SEA 7p departure: chicken and pasta. I passed since my Whole Foods sandwich was much better.

6/4 SEA-SFO 930p departure: cookies. I had the cheese plate from the back.

6/7 SFO-SEA 820p departure: cookies.

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I don't think I've ever said "no thanks" when it came time for meal service in first
Not even for polenta and/or kale?
Old Jun 16, 2015, 2:45 pm

June 13, 2015
AS769 BOS-SAN
6:30PM
6h05m
First
PDB: Bottle of water sitting on the arm rest

Overall, this was a pretty good meal. Great crew certainly helped. I'm still in the camp that AS is serving the best domestic first meals.

Menu:

http://i.imgur.com/toYyLKL.jpg

Salad:

http://i.imgur.com/B6CdKca.jpg

This was a good salad. Objectively, not just airplane good. The salt on the cheese balanced the sweetness in the pears and grapes, the nuts added some texture, and it was nice to see boston lettuce instead of iceberg, romaine, spinach or raw kale (which I really don't like). The whole salad required a fork and knife since the lettuce leaves were left whole. Dressing was a foil cup of balsamic vinaigrette which might've been the only element that wasn't that good.

Pork:

http://i.imgur.com/K2Vwxtm.jpg

The flavor in this dish was excellent, although it did need the salt packet added. The pork itself was cooked through a little past where I'd like it, but not dry. It was fairly tender. The mashed potatoes were of the instant variety, but they had enough flavor. Corn was the same type of frozen roasted corn you can get at any supermarket. The sauce worked well with the pork without being overly sweet.

Dessert was described as a Ghirardelli chocolate brownie. It was more cake-like in texture, but moist and tasty. I don't have a picture of this, as I accidentally ate it first.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 9:59 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines 100K MVP, Oneworld Emerald, Marriott Titanium
What Will Alaska Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? DISCUSSION (2015 edition)

6/17 ANC-SEA
Water at seat
Dinner
Grilled chicken with pasta in chipotle cream sauce, served with salad, broccoli, roll/butter and cookie
Chicken in sauce tasted more like bbq sauce. It reminded me of the bbq chicken served in the past. Pasta and broccoli were well cooked. Salad was fresh and roll was warm.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 10:17 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
June 10, 2015
AS 616 SEA-LAS
6:40PM
2H
First
PBD: Water Bottle

Meal: Potato Gnocchi with Meat Sauce and Brocolli

One of the better meals I have had on a flight but I really enjoy pasta and meat sauce. Sauce was excellent and the broccoli wasn't overdone. Served with salad and a cookie.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 10:19 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
June 13, 2015
AS 623 LAS-SEA
5:15PM
2H
First

Still good but wan't as warm when served.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 12:45 pm
HDK

Programs: AS MVPG 1MM, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, TR Seven Stars, Mlife Noir, TSA Pre
Originally Posted by ken98230
June 10, 2015
AS 616 SEA-LAS
6:40PM
2H
First

One of the better meals I have had on a flight but I really enjoy pasta and meat sauce. Sauce was excellent and the broccoli wasn't overdone. Served with salad and a cookie.
Same catering on AS457 LAX-SEA, June 14, 2015 5:35 p.m.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 11:51 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Silver VIP, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold
Date the flight was taken: 06/25/15
Route flown: AS 582 PDX-SAN
Class of service: F
Length of flight: 2:30
PDB: Coffee, mini-bottled water
Meal served: Breakfast (6:35am departure)
A brief description of the meal: Scrambled eggs, 2 sausages, grits (a first for me in the sky), fruit (strawberries, cantaloupe, pineapple), cheese danish

It was decent and plenty filling. I dunno, maybe a 7/10?

Last edited by ptpinit; Jun 30, 2015 at 12:05 pm
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
6/29/15
AS 141 SEA-ANC
8:45pm departure

Beef short rib with polenta and green beans, side salad with balsamic dressing and a roll. All served on one tray, nice small meal. Great service from the FA.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 10:16 pm

Programs: AS
AS 479. LAX - SEA
4:10pm
2:30 flight time

Bottle of water at seat
Potato gnocchi with small amount of meat sauce on side , broccoli
Side salad with Italian dressing, packaged cookie

Requested cheeseburger from Y, arrived without the chips. Apparently chips were hijacked before they reached F.
Given chocolate bar for dessert.
Had fun chatting with deadhead on his way to work tomorrow SEA- PHL.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:23 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by meej
6/29/15
AS 141 SEA-ANC
8:45pm departure

Beef short rib with polenta and green beans, side salad with balsamic dressing and a roll. All served on one tray, nice small meal. Great service from the FA.
AS 109 SEA-ANC June 30
5:55 PM Departure

Same meal. Beef was very tough with lots of fat. Not very good.

FA was really good.^^
Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Date of flight: 6/25/15
Flight and Route: AS #140 ANC-PDX
Time of Departure: 11:40 ADT (12:40 PDT)
Length of flight: Approx 3 1/2 hours
Class of service: First

Pre-Departure Beverage: Nothing but water bottles at the seat ...

Meal served: Lunch

The FA Damien announced that lunch would be "grilled chicken" but what he put down in front of us was an entirely different dish. So much so that I heard the fellow behind me mutter, "That's the damnedest looking grilled chicken I've ever seen."

Lunch was served in two courses, beginning with a small salad. It was served in a bowl with sloping sides that had a tendency to tip if you forked the lettuce at the wrong angle.

Starter Salad and Warm Roll:

Then came the "grilled chicken" -- masquerading as the chicken in (mild) chipotle cream sauce, served over pasta, that has been in the June lunch rotation.

Chicken in Chipotle Cream Sauce over Gemelli Pasta:

The dessert was a small, packaged Cougar Mountain chocolate chunk cookie.

This was the second time during June that I've been served this lunch. The first time was 6/3/15 on AS #118 ANC-SEA, but I never got around to posting it. At that time I was on my way to SFO to connect with an EK F flight to DXB and onward to Paris, so the new meal service on Alaska quickly dropped off my radar as I looked forward to Dom and caviar ...

Last edited by AKCuisine; Jul 6, 2015 at 12:28 pm
Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:27 pm

Date of flight: 7/4/15
Flight and Route: AS #112 ANC-SEA
Time of Departure: 7:00 AM ADT (8:00 AM PDT)

Pre-Departure Beverage: Again, nothing but water bottles at the seat ...

Meal served: Breakfast

Much to my surprise, we were offered a choice of two options for breakfast on this route. Kudos, Alaska Air!

The choices were described by the FA as being either a cold breakfast of granola and a pastry, or warm one with beef hash and eggs. I couldn't see the cereal breakfast that was served, but the hot meal was a bit different than described.

My breakfast included a bowl of fresh fruit and a somewhat warm cinnamon-flavored Danish.

The scrambled eggs were fairly good - not like the styrofoam-esque ones that sometimes show up on the tray. What had been billed as "beef hash" was actually more like a side of home-fries with red and yellow peppers, along with some chunks of beef that were slightly fatty, but very tender and tasty.

I give this airline breakfast ^ ^ .
Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:43 pm

Date of flight: 7/4/15
Flight and Route: AS #610 SEA-LAS
Time of Departure: 1:55 PM
Length of flight: Approx 2 1/2 hours

Pre-Departure Beverage: Once again, nothing but water bottles at the seat. Seriously, I cannot recall the last time a PDB was offered on one of my flights ...

Meal Served: Lunch

It was listed as a "lunch" service, but what came out was more like a "snack" when compared to other meals I've been served on AS recently.

We were served a "chicken taco salad." It consisted of cold chunks of very bland chicken, along with shredded lettuce, corn, black beans, ribbons of semi crispy tortilla, and a side of cilantro dressing.

Chicken Taco Salad:

In my opinion, the best part of the meal was the Cougar Mountain gourmet chocolate chunk cookie. I was glad that I'd stopped for fish and chips at Anthony's when I was at Sea-Tac ...
Old Jul 10, 2015, 10:42 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
7/1 SMF-OGG 1015a departure: ahi salad & Hawaiian sweet roll to start. Entree was a choice of chicken with rice (IIRC) or pork shoulder with shrimp fried rice. Dessert was a bread pudding with caramel sauce. Warm nuts were served an hour or so out of Maui.

I skipped the ahi salad and had the pork for lunch. It was surprisingly good, although there was a lot of fat on it. The chicken looked pretty good, too. The dessert was quite good, but really sweet.

7/6 OGG-SJC 140p departure: warm nuts, followed with shrimp served on some sort of mashed sweet potatoes & Hawaiian sweet roll to start. Entree was mahi mahi or the beef ribs and rice. Dessert was "flourless chocolate cake." Snack basket with chips, cookies and almond roca was served an hour or so out of SJC.

GF had the mahi and said it was very "meh." The beef ribs were sliced extremely thin and served bone in. Mine was mostly bone and fat and had the consistency of shoe leather.

The dessert was bizarre. It looked like someone dumped roofing tar on a plate and put pineapples on it. It tasted good, albeit really sweet, but the presentation didn't look anything like "flourless chocolate cake." Don't think this is the FA's fault since they're catered in a foil ramekin and need to be plated. Maybe it wasn't cooked enough in Maui?

7/7 SJC-PDX, 840a departure: porridge & fruit. Perfect breakfast for me.

7/9 PDX-PHX, 1000a departure: cheese plate. FWIW, this cheese plate looked almost identical to the one served in Y, except it's on a plate and there are more grapes. I think they've made some changes to this one since it was last reported here. ^
Old Jul 11, 2015, 6:47 pm

Your First Class Meal Service Has Now Been Down-Graded

Date of flight: 7/8/15
Flight and Route: AS #140 ANC-PDX
Time of Departure: 11:40 ADT (12:40 PDT)

Pre-Departure Beverage: We were offered coffee as a PDB. An actual PDB! This is the first time in months that I've had anything offered besides the standard little water bottles.

So what there was not enough creamer or sweetener stocked for anyone beyond Seat 2C? You drank it black and were grateful to receive anything at all.

Meal served: Lunch

The flight attendant announced the lunch offering before pushback, describing it as a pulled chicken chipotle sandwich with a side of cole slaw.

A sandwich? A sandwich?!? Wait a minute ... what happened to the two course lunches that I saw on this very same flight on 6/25 - and on my Anchorage to Seattle lunch flight on 6/3/15? The meals with a starter salad and warm roll, along with a hot pasta and chicken entree?

Oh well, c'est la vie. So much for the upgraded lunch offerings in F on ex-ANC flights. It was a good month while June lasted.

Hot towels were passed after we reached cruising altitude, a nice touch that I haven't seen in a long time.

Drinks arrived with a single napkin, but none was provided for the packets of powdery seasoned snacks. Does Alaska Air Food & Beverage staff assume we're all Carhartt and Extra-Tuff wearing heathens who are going to lick our fingers and wipe them on our denim shirts? Not.

Lunch arrived, the BBQ (AKA chipotle) pulled chicken sandwich. It was accompanied by slaw that might have been made of jullienned broccoli stems, with some carrot slivers and a few bits of purple cabbage thrown about, lightly coated in a non-descript dressing that needed some acid. Or something.

Even the Cougar Mountain gourmet cookie has apparently been downgraded from a chocolate chunk to an oatmeal raisin. Sigh ...

Chipotle Chicken Sandwich with Slaw and a Cookie:

For comparison, here is a link to an example of the two-course, upgraded lunch service I enjoyed on two flights during June - 6/3/15 AS #118 ANC-SEA, and 6/25/15 AS #140 ANC-PDX (the exact same flight as this one, less than 2 weeks ago).

I had been asked to see if the mysterious "Snack Basket" would make an appearance on this flight, a duration comparable to a mid-con. No my friends, it did not.

Later in the flight I asked about the meal that had been available in coach. I was informed the had the option of the (***stellar for coach***) hot chicken dinner with mashed potatoes and green beans. In coach! And all we got in first was a sandwich ...

Ouch.

PDB and a hot towel = Good, a B - (Would have been an A if more than coffee was offered - or if there'd been adequate coffee condiments available for passengers in F).

Downgrade to sandwich = Bad, a D -. Or maybe an F + . Or perhaps an Incomplete.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.