Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

BofA is dropping Alaska Airlines Mileage Debit Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2013, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by AS MHT
Goodbye B of A! This card was the only thing keeping me there. I still have my Suntrust DL card from the big sign-up bonus a year or two ago. Even though that's a 1:1 earning ratio instead of AS's 1:2, I still valued the AS miles higher. Looks like my debit spend will be with ST for now.

10/1 for me. Why do I have a strong feeling we will not be getting any of this back...
This is quoted from an article on Alaska's employee website: "Annual fees will be refunded on a prorated scale and will be credited to cardholders checking accounts in December."
Old Nov 17, 2013, 11:23 pm

Programs: WN CP, WN A-List Preferred, AS MVPG 75k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Is this effective immediately? I just received a letter stating I'll be able to continue earning miles though 5/31/14 when I signed up a few week ago.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 11:02 am

Programs: AS MVP, A3*S
Originally Posted by celtics2004
This is quoted from an article on Alaska's employee website: "Annual fees will be refunded on a prorated scale and will be credited to cardholders checking accounts in December."
That's good. I haven't received my letter yet, does anyone have a scan of one they might like to post (with personal info edited - of course)?
Old Nov 18, 2013, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I can try and scan it. I received the letter it does say will still earn miles through 5/31/14. sounds as if since my annual fee is after 10/31 that it wont be billed and everyone else will get a prorated credit

They did hilight the NO ANNUAL FEE benefit of he new card

**edit** scanned it will upload when I get home. Back of letter has the prorated refund chart

Last edited by CDKing; Nov 18, 2013 at 12:21 pm
Old Nov 18, 2013, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Letter as requested

Front

Back

Old Nov 18, 2013, 10:56 pm

Programs: DL SM, Marriot PLT, Tall guy in need of legroom

this stinks. jumped through many hoops to get this card after they shipped me a non alaska card. will try to max out through may...can get through tax season payments at least. ST still reigns king now
Old Nov 19, 2013, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; BA Gold; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Got the letter. Bummer.

Long term BofA debit card holder. US Airways, then Alaska.

RIP.

Are we seeing the end of an era?
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:33 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Based on this thread I spoke with my BoA bank manager today. She confirmed that it is true - they are getting rid of the DEBIT card but said that it would be at the end of MARCH, 2014 and there would be a pro-rated credit on the fee paid. She also mentioned that the reason this was done is because ALASKA decided they no longer wanted this contract - it had nothing to do with BoA.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ldsant
Based on this thread I spoke with my BoA bank manager today. She confirmed that it is true - they are getting rid of the DEBIT card but said that it would be at the end of MARCH, 2014 and there would be a pro-rated credit on the fee paid. She also mentioned that the reason this was done is because ALASKA decided they no longer wanted this contract - it had nothing to do with BoA.
More like AS didn't like the new proposed contract and decided not to renew.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 8:27 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
With a new 27 cent swipe fee limit on debit cards, there's no way to make this work at any mileage level. I doubt BofA offered to renegotiate, there is no upside for them at all under virtually any circumstances.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TProphet
With a new 27 cent swipe fee limit on debit cards, there's no way to make this work at any mileage level. I doubt BofA offered to renegotiate, there is no upside for them at all under virtually any circumstances.
I am actually surprised by how long this card has lasted since the fee limitation being imposed.

Chase PROMPTLY got rid of their Continental debit cards right before the limitation came in effect - that was at least 2 years ago when Chase discontinued the program.

Just got a letter from SunTrust on its DL debit card with new T&Cs specifically specified non-qualified transactions with non-ambiguous wordings. So now paying taxes with that would not earn miles for example.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 3:33 am

So maybe my letter got lost in the mail but I haven't received the bad news letter. Maybe I'm exempted and my card is good until the expiration of 2017.. Who am I kidding
Old Dec 11, 2013, 3:36 am

Programs: AS MVP, A3*S
Partial refund credited today.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 10:45 pm

Programs: WN A+, DL nobody, HH Dia, National EE
Blah!! This is the only reason I stay with BOA
Old Jan 7, 2014, 12:55 pm

My miles didn't post this month (it usually posts on the 5th and on a weekday). I also got my pro-rated refund last month. Does this mean my card ended early?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.