Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

BofA is dropping Alaska Airlines Mileage Debit Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold

You actually have to call B of A customer service or go into your local banking center and a personal banker will be able to help you order the debit card.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:21 am
AAL

Originally Posted by portland67
You actually have to call B of A customer service or go into your local banking center and a personal banker will be able to help you order the debit card.
You can also order a card through this link
http://www.bankofamerica.com/deposit...ards_alaskaair

I used that link, received the card, and used the card, but have not seen any miles from it yet. But the $30 fee just posted, so there is hope.

Edited to add: the bonus miles eventually posted a week or so after my statement closed.

Last edited by AAL; Dec 13, 2012 at 11:16 am Reason: Update
Old Aug 18, 2013, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by AAL

I've been thinking about loading Bluebird with the debit card to make mortgage payments -- but no-fee loading would entail going to Walmart, another experience that I loathe. It is starting to look like a bad idea all around.
Does loading to Bluebird or other accounts really give you miles? I thought only point of sale purchases as CC (where u have to sign instead of inputting PIN) only gives you the miles. Anyone know?
Old Aug 19, 2013, 10:26 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Can I transfer an existing BofA debit card to the Alaska just by calling? Or do they have to physically send me a new card?
Old Aug 31, 2013, 10:21 pm

Can I add my photo picture to my Alaska Debit card?
Old Aug 31, 2013, 10:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by Stiga9
Can I add my photo picture to my Alaska Debit card?
Should be able to- either mail BoA passport sized photo or stop in a branch and they should have a camera to take it with (well was the case 5 years ago when I did this with my Visa)
Old Sep 2, 2013, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Should be able to- either mail BoA passport sized photo or stop in a branch and they should have a camera to take it with (well was the case 5 years ago when I did this with my Visa)
Ok thanks, i'll report back if I ever get a chance to go into a branch.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 8:55 pm

Hmmh, looks like they took off the link for the AS card https://www.bankofamerica.com/deposi...-debit-card.go

Is it no longer offered to anyone, period?

Edited to Add: Looks like the link is back up. However as a data point, I applied twice within a 6 week period on that site for my SO and it never came. Called BofA and they have no record of us applying for the AS card.

Last edited by Stiga9; Sep 23, 2013 at 6:59 pm Reason: Edit to Add
Old Nov 3, 2013, 11:54 am

I have a BofA checking account but cannot find a way to apply for the AS debit card... any hints?
Old Nov 3, 2013, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by DarrellDoesDallas
I have a BofA checking account but cannot find a way to apply for the AS debit card... any hints?
Did they take the AS debit card link off the site again? I can't view that website. (work laptop blocks the most random sites).
Old Nov 3, 2013, 2:16 pm

I downgraded my checking account this past summer when I was traveling, and was able to reopen my AS debit card about a few weeks ago using the link on post #21.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 12:18 pm

Programs: All of them!
Originally Posted by DarrellDoesDallas
It's not advertised on the website (I was able to find old references to it on the website using Google, but any links I clicked on redirected to a page which advertises different designs for the regular debit card) and when I asked at a branch they told me it was no longer offered and hadn't been for a long time, but when I called the number on the back of my regular debit card, someone in India was able to get me signed up for the AS card. I might have gotten lucky with a knowledgeable CSR, so if calling doesn't work, I'd try again.

Can I transfer an existing BofA debit card to the Alaska just by calling? Or do they have to physically send me a new card?
I asked about this, and was told they would have to immediately cancel my existing card and send me a new card with a new number. So not only can you not convert an existing debit card, there is a gap while you are waiting for the AS card to come in the mail where you don't have any debit card.

Does loading to Bluebird or other accounts really give you miles? I thought only point of sale purchases as CC (where u have to sign instead of inputting PIN) only gives you the miles. Anyone know?
PIN purchases do earn miles, so long as they are categorized by the merchant as a purchase rather than a cash transaction (e.g. buying MO at USPS, since they usually process those as cash transactions which is why GC usually don't work at USPS either) otherwise there wouldn't be much point to a card that earned 1 mile per $2 spent. Taking cash back on a purchase also doesn't work, because they can see you got cash back and how much, so you will only earn miles for the non-cashback part of the transaction. You can load Bluebird, buy MO, do bill pays, etc. and earn miles directly without having to use a prepaid card in between like with a CC. Unlike the SunTrust Delta card, though, you can't earn miles for paying taxes.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 6:50 pm

Programs: WN CP, WN A-List Preferred, AS MVPG 75k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Does BofA typically do a hard credit pull when opening a checking account? I've never had an account with BofA, but the AS debit card is tempting since I just hit MVP Gold.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 9:13 pm

Programs: All of them!
Originally Posted by TheChallenge
Does BofA typically do a hard credit pull when opening a checking account? I've never had an account with BofA, but the AS debit card is tempting since I just hit MVP Gold.
They did not do a hard pull for me, just ChexSystems.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 6:41 am

Any working link for the AS debit card? I tried link on #21 and it did not work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.