Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines Canadian MasterCard

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2018, 4:21 pm

Miles transferred 12th September from MBNA but no appearance yet on my AS MP😞 Usually only takes a day or two so I too have sent customer care a note.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:52 am

Programs: *void
My Alaska points finally posted. At the MBNA Rewards site the points were showing a transfer date of Sep 12th. My wife's card has a different statement cycle date, and her MBNA transfer date was Sep 24th, 12 days after mine. I checked our Mileage Plan accounts on Monday Oct 1st, in the early afternoon, but points were not there. I've just checked again now, Tuesday Oct 2nd at 2:00am ET, and we both got our points deposited into our accounts now. @robsaw and @MAXII time to check your Alaska account.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 7:45 am

Yup, points finally showed-up.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
My Alaska points finally posted. At the MBNA Rewards site the points were showing a transfer date of Sep 12th. My wife's card has a different statement cycle date, and her MBNA transfer date was Sep 24th, 12 days after mine. I checked our Mileage Plan accounts on Monday Oct 1st, in the early afternoon, but points were not there. I've just checked again now, Tuesday Oct 2nd at 2:00am ET, and we both got our points deposited into our accounts now. @robsaw and @MAXII time to check your Alaska account.
Cheers😀 Yup, mine have posted too. They hadn't last night.👍

Update: AS replied this pm to my note of Sept 27th:

​"Thank you for contacting Alaska Airlines Customer Care.

Due to a processing error, the miles for your credit card use have been delayed. MBNA has advised the miles should be posted to the account by October 9, 2018. "​​​​​​

​​​​​

Last edited by MAXII; Oct 2, 2018 at 8:28 pm
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Have seen this result at least 4 times in the past month, so is this a sign that things are going south?

After years of doing multiple repeat churns and getting the GCR rebate each time, we've been fortunate that GCR have been lenient on the policy of "only for new cardholders". There are still reports of repeated GCR rebate success, but it's not as easy as it once was.
There are TWO Alaska cards in GCR now. Which is the new one? I'm assuming if we all apply for that one instead, we'll get the rebate (since it's a card we haven't held before)?
Old Oct 11, 2018, 1:29 pm

This is a bit off topic but I am assuming those who follow this card will also know about other card choices.

I have had my Alaska MC for years and until now have loved it. Reward availability was pretty good and it was super easy to connect out of YYJ. Alaska has recently made a bunch of changes to their flight schedule out of YYJ and reduced the availability of reward seats between SEA and YYJ which massively impact my ability to book partner awards. I'm still sitting on approx 800,000 Alaska miles but it's looking like they are going to be a challenge to redeem for the awards I want.

So, my question is; what is the second best choice of Canadian credit card for someone who primarily fly's out of YYJ? If it matters I typically spend $300-$400K annually on the card and book awards for a family of 4.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 7:27 pm

MBNA App

I just stumbled upon an MBNA app in the playstore (Android), listed in the Trending category.

Pretty sure it's a recent addition. It's pretty basic and lacks 2 factor authentication at the moment but on signout, there was a message to say this is coming. Still, it's a step in the right direction & will be handy for keeping track of my AS Canadian credit card.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by zoyabean
This is a bit off topic but I am assuming those who follow this card will also know about other card choices.

I have had my Alaska MC for years and until now have loved it. Reward availability was pretty good and it was super easy to connect out of YYJ. Alaska has recently made a bunch of changes to their flight schedule out of YYJ and reduced the availability of reward seats between SEA and YYJ which massively impact my ability to book partner awards. I'm still sitting on approx 800,000 Alaska miles but it's looking like they are going to be a challenge to redeem for the awards I want.

So, my question is; what is the second best choice of Canadian credit card for someone who primarily fly's out of YYJ? If it matters I typically spend $300-$400K annually on the card and book awards for a family of 4.
I have the same issues from YVR. In general it's become more difficult to book 4 award tickets, not even considering the schedule and route cutbacks. You have to get creative when booking multiple award seats.

Alaska killed their YVR-LAX, BLI-LAS and just recently the BLI-PDX flight (that one crushed me!). Then there was the loss of Delta flights. This means now I have even less connection options!

Driving to SEA is usually the best option. I don't mind too much since I try to combine it with a shopping trip. Is driving there an option for you?

I collect Avios which is great for flexibility, and fly on Alaska, American & Cathay Pacific. Perhaps you could get a Amex Gold or RBC Avion to transfer points and do the same?

Unfortunately, there's not a ton of flight options for YYJ direct - but you're still close enough to YVR and SEA greatly widen your availability.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 9:41 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by MAXII
Cheers😀 Yup, mine have posted too. They hadn't last night.👍

Update: AS replied this pm to my note of Sept 27th:

​"Thank you for contacting Alaska Airlines Customer Care.

Due to a processing error, the miles for your credit card use have been delayed. MBNA has advised the miles should be posted to the account by October 9, 2018. "​​​​​​

​​​​​
Looks like things have been fixed and we're back to a more reasonable schedule. Last month it took 20 days to move the points from MBNA into Alaska. This month it only took 2 days.
jerry305 and MAXII like this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 6:26 pm

Received a letter through the mail saying that the fees (such as the cash advance fee) will drop from $7.50 to $0 and the APR interest rate will increase by 10%.

What's up with that?
Old Nov 28, 2018, 6:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by emilio911
Received a letter through the mail saying that the fees (such as the cash advance fee) will drop from $7.50 to $0 and the APR interest rate will increase by 10%.

What's up with that?
Good if you get cash advances, not so good if you carry a balance or get cash advances. Of course it is easy to drop a $7.50 cash advance fee when the rate is increasing by 10% which applies to cash advances immediately. Clever marketing... Credit card companies want us to do all of the above. As consumers we should do none of the above.

It is a "rob peter to pay paul" situation. If nobody carried a balance and/or took cash advances the credit card companies wouldn't be able to pay for the benefits we receive as cardholders that don't pay them a dime. Yes, we pay an annual fee but that is minuscule You can't buy miles at $0.0025 cpm, the average I pay for the Mileage Plan Miles I earn notwithstanding the companion certificate that I can optimize to reduce a $1000+ base fare to $99.

James
Old Aug 28, 2019, 7:37 pm

DP, just got denied with the message "credit bureau stated excessive credit inquiries"

Applied 5 cards this year, (rough count)
Old Nov 14, 2019, 2:49 pm

Anyone having issues with their new signup bonus of 30K and their companion fare code showing up in their Alaska account after making the minimum spend?

Not sure if it takes a few statement cycles for it to show up in your account? I am a previous cardholder, so not sure if I won't get it? I've already paid the $99 annual fee, so I'll be quite ticked if I don't get either...

Last edited by pokee; Nov 14, 2019 at 3:03 pm
Old Jan 19, 2020, 8:35 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Does anyone know if the companion fare from the Canadian mbna credit card carries the must purchase with the card restriction that new companion codes with the BofA US card do?

I’m considering the mbna card but would probably prefer to use an American card for AS purchases to avoid exchange fees. Obviously if it comes down to using the many hundred dollar savings of the companion fare or not, I’ll eat the 2.5%.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I haven’t had an MBNA card in a few years even though I’ve probably churned 3-4 of them in the past. I just tried applying for one and was outright denied with no explanation. Have churners been banned?

Edit: I’ve only ever had the World Elite card, so tried applying for the Platinum Plus card. Denied as well.

Last edited by margarita girl; Feb 5, 2020 at 4:13 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.