Alaska Airlines Canadian MasterCard

Old Jun 17, 2023, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Great White North
That is a good point. However, RBC has cards for Cathay Pacific (generally 1 flight per day each to YVR and YYZ) and British Airways (1 or 2 per day each to YVR, YYZ, and YUL) so apparently it can work. Alaska has a lot more flights than that even if it's mostly YVR, but then they also do a lot of cross-border business out of SEA and BLI.
Im not sure AS even has more flights to Canada than BA, and they almost certainly dont have more capacity just measured in seats, given that BA is all wide bodies with 200-325 seats and AS is mostly E75s. If you measure by seat-miles or revenue out of Canada, I would bet BA has dramatically more capacity/revenue in Canada than AS, even if you include cross-border traffic out of BLI/PAE/SEA/EAT/GEG (the latter two of which we sometimes drive to for flights from our home in interior BC). And AS is entirely a western Canada regional player, whereas BA hits the major population centres. So I get BA being more appealing a partner for credit card companies.

But the lack of a Canadian credit card is frustrating. I dont care much about the mileage earning (although 1 mile/CAD is 20% better than 1 mile/USD). Its 85% about the companion fare and 10% the bag fee waiver for us, so the new options are not something Id consider even if you can transfer points to AS.
The Ivory Actuary likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2023, 11:14 pm

It seems like the TD AA credit card and Capital One DL credit card offerings aren't remembered here by many.

Both were discontinued in the last decade. I'm honestly surprised AS held out as long as they did, but clearly whatever financial agreement they had is not beneficial with their diminished presence in the country.

The signs are pointing to Canada being a shrinking market for AS - not surprising when looking at the transborder growth that AC/UA and WS/DL have had in recent years.
​​​​​
Old Jun 18, 2023, 9:46 am

Programs: AC, AS, BA Silver/OW Sapphire, DL, SQ/*A Silver, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
The migration into the MBNA Rewards MC might still be a winner, while keeping the card as practically the AS card. It is esssentially swapping the companion + free checked bag for an extremely attractive 5x on groceries, eat-out, utilities etc , so miles for perks... 5x is huge (plus birthday bonus?), and within the Canadian CC market is only matchable by the AMEX Cobalt.

MBNA would possibly look at some clients using their own Rewards points for other redeem options, so it works the fine line of keeping the appeal of the card for the AS bunch and maintaining the card for an airline that in the scheme of things have a small presence in Canada. It seems like a solution that would keep many card holders happy, while giving the Canadian market another airline transferable currency. Moreover, the card might also garner some more traction with the eastern provinces bunch, who had less of a reason to have the card as a co-brand.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 10:32 am

So I cancelled my card in mid-June before the next annual fee was due to be charged.

Today I log in to my MP account and I see I have 1 more mile than I expected. Weird. Looking further, I see that the 1 mile has been deposited for "MBNA WORLD ELITE CARD COMPANION FARE AVAILABLE IN YOUR MY ACCOUNT". Sure enough, there is a new companion voucher expiring in a year. So I've paid N annual fees and received N+1 companion vouchers. Sweet?

Has anyone else had this? Will Alaska claw the voucher back during a future reconciliation with MBNA? If I've already used the voucher when they discover the error, will I be asked to pay the fare difference in cash?
Old Jul 17, 2023, 8:25 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by The Ivory Actuary
So I cancelled my card in mid-June before the next annual fee was due to be charged.

Today I log in to my MP account and I see I have 1 more mile than I expected. Weird. Looking further, I see that the 1 mile has been deposited for "MBNA WORLD ELITE CARD COMPANION FARE AVAILABLE IN YOUR MY ACCOUNT". Sure enough, there is a new companion voucher expiring in a year. So I've paid N annual fees and received N+1 companion vouchers. Sweet?

Has anyone else had this? Will Alaska claw the voucher back during a future reconciliation with MBNA? If I've already used the voucher when they discover the error, will I be asked to pay the fare difference in cash?
Nice! Keep it and reap!

Sorry, no answers for you.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 11:42 pm

My MBNA Alaska MC statement cycled on July 6th. I still dont see the miles from this statement added to my Mileage Plan activity. Its been a while; does anyone recall how long the points take to post? I seem to recall vaguely that you have to wait till the Monday after the cycling date, or something like that?
Old Jul 20, 2023, 12:09 am

think you should've got them by now. If not you should call MBNA.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by flyerbill0100
think you should've got them by now. If not you should call MBNA.
Negative. Still not posted at Alaska site yet. Its not a lot of points. I need to keep my account active though, so Im getting a bit antsy. But I still have another 2 months to make it look alive, so Ill just keep waiting for now.

An ancillary motive for my question was to see if there was a somewhat established timeframe on when MBNA/Alaska perform their sweeps to make the accounts hold, as I thought there was a general guideline, such as the next Monday or Tuesday after the weekend once a statement cycles. Maybe it doesnt exist (anymore), or never had.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 5:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Negative. Still not posted at Alaska site yet. Its not a lot of points. I need to keep my account active though, so Im getting a bit antsy. But I still have another 2 months to make it look alive, so Ill just keep waiting for now.

An ancillary motive for my question was to see if there was a somewhat established timeframe on when MBNA/Alaska perform their sweeps to make the accounts hold, as I thought there was a general guideline, such as the next Monday or Tuesday after the weekend once a statement cycles. Maybe it doesnt exist (anymore), or never had.
Miles from my MBNA accounts routinely post 6 days after the billing cycle closes. Like clockwork.

James
Old Jul 21, 2023, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Miles from my MBNA accounts routinely post 6 days after the billing cycle closes. Like clockwork.

James
Thanks for that feedback, James. Good to know what I should expect.

For me, still no activity in my account. I signed into MBNA, went to my card account page and clicked on the "Rewards" tab and then clicked on "Check your rewards balance". It popped up the box to say "Redeem points - leaving site...", and I pressed Continue whereby I'm redirected to the onlinerewards.mbna.ca site. I click on the "Account Details" link and it shows the "Account Activity", and shows my last statement's points with Jul 06, 2023 date as "Points Transfer/Miles transmitted to Alaska Airlines". This all seems to be the usual.

It may be a longer than usual transfer process this month. I'll use my MC some more, just in case these July points don't come through to refresh my activity.

Thanks for chiming in.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 12:08 pm

Following up on my posts above. My AS points never did post from my July MBNA AS MC account. But the statement for Aug posted last week and I do see these points posted within 3-4 days.

Not a big deal for me, as my missing points from July statement are very small, but if you were expecting big points from your July statement, you should check to see if they were actually posted or not.
Old Sep 17, 2023, 2:11 pm

Hi folks, question for this group. Has anyone found any deals for business class seats? I'm not seeing much forum pots for Canadians using Alaska miles.
I did some searches this week and found a couple of business seats to asia with Korean air, but no good deals for other airlines. Most European flights have very expensive fees (almost the price of an economy seat). Appreciate it others have tips or know what are the sweet spots to book business seats. Thxs
Old Sep 17, 2023, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by north49
Hi folks, question for this group. Has anyone found any deals for business class seats? I'm not seeing much forum pots for Canadians using Alaska miles.
I did some searches this week and found a couple of business seats to asia with Korean air, but no good deals for other airlines. Most European flights have very expensive fees (almost the price of an economy seat). Appreciate it others have tips or know what are the sweet spots to book business seats. Thxs
Not easy to find J with any program that are at all reasonably priced.

My last booking, SYD-NAD-LAX with Fiji for 55k in J for next spring, was due to someone posting elsewhere on this subforum that the deal was available and my jumping on it.

I'm using Aeroplan points to get there and back from YXS.

And that's all the advice I can give re sweetspots: keep monitoring posts here to see when availability pops up.
Old Sep 17, 2023, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by north49
AY or AA to get to Europe without carrier surcharges (or FJ; they fly to CDG). Be willing to reposition to a US gateway.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 2:27 pm

Thanks everyone fro the replies. I'll keep an eye out for AJ and FJ flights.

FYI for the group, there are business class seats from Boston, Chicago and New York to Seoul w/ Korean Air in July, 2024

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.