Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Passenger Kicked Off Horizon Air Flight For Being Too Tall

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passenger Kicked Off Horizon Air Flight For Being Too Tall

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2011, 8:03 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by CDKing
No they should be reserved for those that can help evacuate the plane in an emergency.
+1

Exit row isn't a "bonus" or "perk", though airlines are making it so by charging to sit there or only allowing elites to select it. The row doesn't offer more legroom, it offers more room for people to maneuver through in the event of an emergency.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 9:32 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
Originally Posted by Rebelyell
Buy as much seat as you need. Studies show that all other things being equal, tall people make more money than short people. They can use some of those extra earnings to buy the extra space they need.
Sitting sideways is not comfortable - it twists your back. So that's not a real solution.

And I very much doubt tall people earn *twice* what short people do.

The solution, IMO, is for the airlines (and society in general, to be fair) to end the "race to the bottom" typified by a certain Irish operation and instead charge a realistic price for a proper service that can accommodate people (in all their various forms) properly. If seat pitch was such that it would accommodate, say, someone who was 6' 6" and of average proportion, and wide enough to accommodate the typical male's shoulders, people wouldn't be fighting over the exit rows and empty seats and there'd be enough to accommodate the few people who are *very* tall or broad, for whom they could be reserved, with elites receiving other benefits, such as perhaps a guaranteed empty middle seat where the flight wasn't full rather than having to play games to get one.

IMO, that's a minimum seat pitch of 33-34". I imagine the FAA/JAA are the only ones that could enforce that. For now, the Asian airlines are offering it, of course - I really enjoyed flying with Thai, Kingfisher and Malaysia for that reason (and the service was superb as well).

Neil

Last edited by pacer142; Apr 26, 2011 at 9:39 am
Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Originally Posted by pacer142
The solution, IMO, is for the airlines (and society in general, to be fair) to end the "race to the bottom" typified by a certain Irish operation and instead charge a realistic price for a proper service that can accommodate people (in all their various forms) properly.
AA tried that for a while with their "More Room Throughout Coach" program that had significantly more legroom. They gave it up a few years ago, probably when they discovered that most people seem to shop by price for airline tickets. You can get economy plus seats on United if you're willing to pay more.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by BLI-Flyer
AA tried that for a while with their "More Room Throughout Coach" program that had significantly more legroom. They gave it up a few years ago, probably when they discovered that most people seem to shop by price for airline tickets. You can get economy plus seats on United if you're willing to pay more.
That's why I think the FAA etc enforcing it would be the only way to stop the "race for the bottom". E+ and the likes are an option but not every airline offers it, and some charge well over the odds for the amount of extra space you get.

Neil
Old Apr 27, 2011, 7:30 am

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by pacer142
That's why I think the FAA etc enforcing it would be the only way to stop the "race for the bottom". E+ and the likes are an option but not every airline offers it, and some charge well over the odds for the amount of extra space you get.
I prefer to let the market solve the problem rather than more regulations.

AA's more leg room didn't work because they didn't charge for it, and it reduced capacity without generating revenue. An Economy Plus product lets airlines charge extra for extra space for some customers and reward their elites with it. The economics work and the extra space goes to people who pay for it with cash or loyalty.

Government regulation is likely to be heavy handed and have unintended consequences.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by seacarl
I prefer to let the market solve the problem rather than more regulations.
The problem is that the market *won't* solve issues that affect only a minority. I know the situation isn't comparable, but the market wouldn't, for instance, provide proper wheelchair accessibility either, as that's also a minority.

Sometimes, legislation is necessary to ensure that minorities *are* catered for. Though it could be catered for easily enough here if airlines would just go back to the idea of allocating extra legroom at check-in to those who need it, not those who just happen to want it and not as an elite benefit.

Neil
Old May 9, 2011, 8:55 am

Programs: BA/AA/UA
Originally Posted by Rebelyell
This guy was apparently able to accommodate his extra height by putting his legs and feet over in the aisle. If he were to buy an extra seat he could sit slightly sideways and have plenty of room.

Telling fat people to eat less is like telling someone to breathe less air. Most really aren't able to do it, yet I certainly expect them to buy an extra seat if they need it. The same goes for tall people.

Buy as much seat as you need. Studies show that all other things being equal, tall people make more money than short people. They can use some of those extra earnings to buy the extra space they need.
Wow. First of all, "all other things" are seldom equal and second, an extra sideways coach seat (if two contiguous seats happen to be available) does little to accommodate extra height. You need a business or first-class seat and they cost a whole lot more. Thanks anyway.

Finally, again, diet and exercise can do little to modify one's god-given height.
Old May 10, 2011, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Originally Posted by Marsden
Wow. First of all, "all other things" are seldom equal and second, an extra sideways coach seat (if two contiguous seats happen to be available) does little to accommodate extra height. You need a business or first-class seat and they cost a whole lot more. Thanks anyway.
The person in the original story was on a Horizon flight, all the seats are First Class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.