Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Passenger Kicked Off Horizon Air Flight For Being Too Tall

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2011, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM

Horizon Air admits that it removed a 6'9" passenger for being too tall to fit into his seat, upsetting his travel plans and causing him unneeded humiliation.

The incident happened on March 18 on a flight from Portland, Oregon to Ontario, Calif., AOL Travel News has learned.

In a letter, the over-height passenger wrote to Horizon Air, which was sent to the site The Consumerist by his stepdaughter, the passenger states that he tried to get an exit row for additional room, but none were available when he purchased his tickets.

Before his flight, the anonymous passenger made multiple attempts to be placed in an exit row, but instead was told by one customer service agent, that his "long limbs were now the flight attendants' problem."

Once aboard the flight, the passenger had difficulty getting his legs fully out of the aisle. A flight attendant walking by tripped over his legs, demanding he pull them fully into his seat. The passenger calmly explained how he tried to get other accommodations and how the phone operator said it would be the flight attendant's problem.

The flight attendant stormed off before another staff member explained that he must remove his legs from the aisle or leave the flight. Shortly thereafter a third airline official showed up and told the passenger he must get off the plane.

http://news.travel.aol.com/2011/04/0...eing-too-tall/

Also here: http://consumerist.com/2011/03/horiz...-too-tall.html
Old Apr 2, 2011, 6:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP
If this report is true, I am very disappointed in Horizon's actions.

It seems that the passenger made every attempt to seek a resolution to the problem. Horizon is extremely lucky this MD settled for the price of a ticket.

Last edited by Mariby; Apr 2, 2011 at 6:51 pm
Old Apr 2, 2011, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I know there are two sides to every story, and the account talks about the flight attendant "storming" around before the tall guy was deplaned, but it sure sounds like this was handled with exceptional stupidity. Where was the guy supposed to put his legs?
Old Apr 2, 2011, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Something is not right here. Late last year, on a PDX - SEA run the pilots made a fellow move from his exit row seat to the back for weight reasons; I, too, had to go. That guy was probably nearly 7' tall himself - I felt for him, but he managed okay for an hour without any problem at all.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 6:53 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
well thats unfortunate the FA's shouldve dealt with the leg in the way issue more professionally. Do I believe he was automatically entitled to an exit row however? Absolutely not. Besides then we'd have somebody posting in the bumped from seats thread pissed off they were bumped out . But I think AS/QX would do the right thing in that situation and give him an exit row. Perhaps the guy was being an arrogant SOB? I mean there are 2 sides to every story. One side of me wonders in what manner he supposedly "calmy" explained to the FA that he tried to get other accomodations. I find it very odd that a GA wouldve supposedly also said its the FA problem now. Somebody doesnt add up. Seems QX was in a darned if you do darned if you dont situation. Personally I think they shouldve dealt with his leg in the aisle and kept mouths shut but Id imagine theres some FAA rule they "must" follow or face a 10K fine

Last edited by ANC; Apr 2, 2011 at 7:08 pm
Old Apr 2, 2011, 7:51 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Sounds like he knew he was going to stick his legs into the aisle. If that's the case, he should have picked a flight/airline that had seats with extra leg room available. He knew ahead of time the exit row seats were already taken for that flight. I don't see why anyone else should be forced to move to accommodate him. Within reason, I choose flights that do have seats I like available.

I also find it hard to believe that he couldn't just sit in the seat without sticking his legs into the aisle, at least for part of the flight. Like "ANC" said, Horizon is darned either way."
Old Apr 2, 2011, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Not having been there, but seeing how a very tall guy managed, I'm of the opinion this was a passive-aggressive reaction to the denial of an exit row seat; he was hoping that they'd bump someone for him.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Reminds me of the guy on Sprirt that was too tall and had to stand up for the entire flight to be comfortable.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by CDKing
Reminds me of the guy on Sprirt that was too tall and had to stand up for the entire flight to be comfortable.
He can't fitted it in. He must leave from the aircraft without knowledging from the airlines. Because it was too tall. Unfortunately, he will have to do something else. He should have to put on another airlines for next time. I realizing that I know Q-400 is too small to fitted him in.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 11:47 am

Programs: AA, AS, BA, UA, HH, Hyatt
Im sorry to say this, but if you are too big for a regular seat on a plane, then you should buy multiple Y seats or a F seat. He obviously knew he was too big before he boarded the plane but did so anyways, tripped the flight attendant, and asked to have someone else kicked out of their exit row seats so he could fit. The airline should attempt some effort to make accommodations, but if you won't fit or are rude, then off the plane you should go.

Some questions for thought...
Should the airline reserve exit row seating only for all tall and obese passengers?
What if there are more people that *need* exit row seats than are available?
Old Apr 3, 2011, 11:53 am

Programs: AS MVPG; WN A-List; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat; HH Diamond; all the rest
Too bad QX doesn't have the Q-200's anymore - that back row middle seat had all the room this guy needed.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Milano Suprano
Im sorry to say this, but if you are too big for a regular seat on a plane, then you should buy multiple Y seats or a F seat. He obviously knew he was too big before he boarded the plane but did so anyways, tripped the flight attendant, and asked to have someone else kicked out of their exit row seats so he could fit. The airline should attempt some effort to make accommodations, but if you won't fit or are rude, then off the plane you should go.

Should the airline reserve exit row seating only for all tall and obese passengers?
Definitely not obese, as extra legroom does not help there. Tall? Perhaps. I'm not talking about generally tall people like me (I'm 6'4"), but how many people are there who are close to 7' tall? It would probably be a very minor accommodation.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Milano Suprano
No they should be reserved for those that can help evacuate the plane in an emergency.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Not having been there, but seeing how a very tall guy managed, I'm of the opinion this was a passive-aggressive reaction to the denial of an exit row seat; he was hoping that they'd bump someone for him.
Bingo!
Old Apr 3, 2011, 12:32 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Mariby
Horizon is extremely lucky this MD settled for the price of a ticket.
that also leads me to believe theres another side to the story. Settle quick before they find out the other side of the events?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.