Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Passenger Kicked Off Horizon Air Flight For Being Too Tall

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passenger Kicked Off Horizon Air Flight For Being Too Tall

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2011, 10:48 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Aren't overweight people required to purchase an extra seat (even if their reason might be a medical condition too), wouldn't applying the same to a tall person be appropriate?
Old Apr 4, 2011, 11:50 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Xero
Aren't overweight people required to purchase an extra seat (even if their reason might be a medical condition too), wouldn't applying the same to a tall person be appropriate?
While the width of the person can be taken into account by buying an adjacent seat, extra legroom can't be accommodated by buying an extra coach seat, since the rows aren't adjustable upon demand.

A first class seat provides extra legroom.

On QX, since every seat is "first class", the only solution is to move the passenger into an exit row or remove the passenger from the plane.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by dgreen12
While the width of the person can be taken into account by buying an adjacent seat, extra legroom can't be accommodated by buying an extra coach seat, since the rows aren't adjustable upon demand.

A first class seat provides extra legroom.

On QX, since every seat is "first class", the only solution is to move the passenger into an exit row or remove the passenger from the plane.
Buying an extra seat would help. Sure it won't be the most comfortable situation. But airplanes are a temporary environment. The worst most can get is a bit of discomfort for a few hours after the flight, but nothing major. You can stretch into the side. Also, you can stick your feet underneath the seat in front of you.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 3:23 pm

Programs: BA/AA/UA
Buying an extra seat would help. Sure it won't be the most comfortable situation. But airplanes are a temporary environment. The worst most can get is a bit of discomfort for a few hours after the flight, but nothing major. You can stretch into the side. Also, you can stick your feet underneath the seat in front of you.
As it is now, I already pay up outrageously for business or first-class seats on any flight over 2 hrs in length simply because I'm 6'-3" and simply cannot fit my legs in a 31-33" pitch seat. Can't get my feet underneath the seat in front of me. In the old days I could usually snag an exit-row or bulkhead seat with extra legroom thanks to friendly and understanding ground staff but nowadays these seats are generally reserved for any given airline's frequent flyers.

So I throw big bucks away because of my height, which unlike obesity is hardly something I can change. Yet I read often of people suggesting that tall and fat people be charged extra for seats as though the two situations were equivalent.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BLI-Flyer
Horizon Air admits that it removed a 6'9" passenger for being too tall to fit into his seat, upsetting his travel plans and causing him unneeded humiliation.

The incident happened on March 18 on a flight from Portland, Oregon to Ontario, Calif., AOL Travel News has learned.

In a letter, the over-height passenger wrote to Horizon Air, which was sent to the site The Consumerist by his stepdaughter, the passenger states that he tried to get an exit row for additional room, but none were available when he purchased his tickets.

Before his flight, the anonymous passenger made multiple attempts to be placed in an exit row, but instead was told by one customer service agent, that his "long limbs were now the flight attendants' problem."

Once aboard the flight, the passenger had difficulty getting his legs fully out of the aisle. A flight attendant walking by tripped over his legs, demanding he pull them fully into his seat. The passenger calmly explained how he tried to get other accommodations and how the phone operator said it would be the flight attendant's problem.

The flight attendant stormed off before another staff member explained that he must remove his legs from the aisle or leave the flight. Shortly thereafter a third airline official showed up and told the passenger he must get off the plane.

http://news.travel.aol.com/2011/04/0...eing-too-tall/

Also here: http://consumerist.com/2011/03/horiz...-too-tall.html
Key point is in red.

If the exit row was unavailable on his flight, he should have booked another flight. I just don't understand why people with special needs, be they the very tall, the obese, couples who want to sit together, or parents who need to sit with their children, will book tickets knowing that there will be a problem, and then expect someone else -- GA, FA or other passengers -- to fix things for them.

This guy gets no sympathy from me whatsoever. You're too tall to fit a standard coach seat? Book an exit row or buy first class.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
He could've just plunked down in an exit row seat, stating "There was a mixup" and refusing to budge, as I encountered once from a person in the seat I'd selected, and was assigned to as of scanning the bp two minutes earlier.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
He could've just plunked down in an exit row seat, stating "There was a mixup" and refusing to budge, as I encountered once from a person in the seat I'd selected, and was assigned to as of scanning the bp two minutes earlier.
That's when I call an FA and insist on the interloper's removal. If the FA refuses, I say, "Oh, then this is an IDB?"
Old Apr 4, 2011, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Marsden
As it is now, I already pay up outrageously for business or first-class seats on any flight over 2 hrs in length simply because I'm 6'-3" and simply cannot fit my legs in a 31-33" pitch seat. Can't get my feet underneath the seat in front of me. In the old days I could usually snag an exit-row or bulkhead seat with extra legroom thanks to friendly and understanding ground staff but nowadays these seats are generally reserved for any given airline's frequent flyers.

So I throw big bucks away because of my height, which unlike obesity is hardly something I can change. Yet I read often of people suggesting that tall and fat people be charged extra for seats as though the two situations were equivalent.
There are many people who are obese as a medical condition. No amount of dieting or exercise seems to be helping them. Also, passengers requiring extra oxygen during the flight are also forced to pay extra, even if there was no workout. So there really is no difference.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 4:50 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
There are many people who are obese as a medical condition. No amount of dieting or exercise seems to be helping them..
well I was going to say the same thing but not to your extent. The people who fall into that as a medical condition are a very miniscule percentage. I suppose if one lives in a place like SFO, MSN, ORD, or NYC one could find a lawyer that would make a case for you that you have a medical condition that everytime you see a McDonalds sign your mental capacity requires you to stop and buy 3 big macs and that the only food sold in America should be tofu burgers and spinach pudding. For the most part obesity is preventable. There is no way to prevent what height you are aside from hacking off limbs
Old Apr 4, 2011, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ANC
well I was going to say the same thing but not to your extent. The people who fall into that as a medical condition are a very miniscule percentage. I suppose if one lives in a place like SFO, MSN, ORD, or NYC one could find a lawyer that would make a case for you that you have a medical condition that everytime you see a McDonalds sign your mental capacity requires you to stop and buy 3 big macs and that the only food sold in America should be tofu burgers and spinach pudding. For the most part obesity is preventable. There is no way to prevent what height you are aside from hacking off limbs
This misses the point, I think. The issue isn't whether you can change your height, but whether you have a special need as a result of it. Height isn't a disability -- it has advantages in some cases (like when you sit in front of me at a movie theater) and disadvantages in others (like when you fly in tight-seat-pitch coach). Because it's a special need, it's up to you, and no one else, to make sure that it is accommodated. You have no greater right to someone else's seat, and no right to expect the airline to evict someone else because of it.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 5:06 pm
ANC

Originally Posted by PTravel
You have no greater right to someone else's seat, and no right to expect the airline to evict someone else because of it.
I definately dont disagree. The airline couldve handled a few things better IF the so called victims side is true as written which I still have a hard time believing. I find it out of character in the first place that a QX GA remarked its now the FA problem. If it was AE Id believe it but not QX. I also question the travelers so called calmy explaining to the FA what happened that it required 2 or 3 other AS staffers to get involved. I also find it odd that the traveler settled so fast on a compensation offer before the case was fully investigated. Something just didnt add up here
Old Apr 4, 2011, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ANC
I definately dont disagree. The airline couldve handled a few things better IF the so called victims side is true as written which I still have a hard time believing.
The so-called victim caused the situation by booking a seat he knew he could not sit in. I like to sit next to my wife on long flights. If I can't book seats together on one flight, I book another flight. I don't expect to make it the airline's problem by showing up and demanding that my wife and I be accommodated.

I find it out of character in the first place that a QX GA remarked its now the FA problem.
Well, given the GAs I've encountered on all airlines, I can believe it. Some of them are good, some of them are great, but some of them are just rude and lazy. Regardless, what could the GA have done? If the exit rows were booked, they were booked. Why should the GA displace a passenger who went to the trouble of booking an exit row for someone who couldn't be bothered?

If it was AE Id believe it but not QX. I also question the travelers so called calmy explaining to the FA what happened that it required 2 or 3 other AS staffers to get involved.
Both obstinacy and arrogance can be expressed calmly. Still, I agree with you.

I also find it odd that the traveler settled so fast on a compensation offer before the case was fully investigated. Something just didnt add up here
From my perspective, I don't have to do the math. The initial admission that no exit row was available but the tall passenger booked anyway is all that I need to know.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 7:42 pm

Programs: BA/AA/UA
There are many people who are obese as a medical condition. No amount of dieting or exercise seems to be helping them. Also, passengers requiring extra oxygen during the flight are also forced to pay extra, even if there was no workout. So there really is no difference.
Okay, I know I shouldn't: but are you really saying that if you took an obese person and put him/her on an island where they could only eat lettuce and the occasional mango, and perhaps a fish or two from the sea once a week, they would not lose weight? How is that analogous with being too tall for one's seat?

BTW, lest anyone mistake, I do not support the 'victim' in this case in any way. He needs to take the train or pay up for first class. However this is still discrimination and like it or not the world is designed for short(er) people.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 7:47 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Not entirely true. I'm about 6'5" and was trapped on QX in an row next to a "person of size" who barely could fit into his seat (and had to breathe in deeply to lower than armrest). I had to visit a chiropractor within a day after landing, because I could not sit up straight for the more than two hours in flight -- I was forcibly angled into the seat away from the POS. Painful, and cost a few bucks.

I don't fly QX any more except for flights of less than an hour. Perhaps that's what the 6'9" should do.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 8:52 pm
ANC

Originally Posted by Marsden
However this is still discrimination and like it or not the world is designed for short(er) people.
I see and know plenty of times in the world where lief isnt designed for the shorter people :/ I dont gripe or say its "discriminatory" its called living life and I deal with it accordingly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.