Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines Announces Routes, Schedule for New Partner

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2011, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold

SEATTLE, Feb. 25, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Alaska Airlines today announced that SkyWest Airlines will begin flying six West Coast routes currently operated by Horizon Air, starting May 14. The Utah-based carrier will fly the routes using five 70-seat Bombardier CRJ-700 regional jets it is acquiring from Horizon.

Alaska's partnership with SkyWest for CRJ-700 flying enables Horizon to fly the Bombardier Q400 turboprop exclusively.

"While it is technically feasible for the Q400 to operate on all routes now served by CRJ-700s, it would result in longer flight times," said Andrew Harrison, Alaska Air Group's vice president of planning and revenue management. "For example, it can take up to 35 minutes longer for a Q400 to fly from Seattle to Southern California, which is longer than we'd like. Most of these routes were formerly served with Alaska Air Group jets, and the CRJ-700 jet has proven to be a better fit in these markets."

Summary of new roundtrip SkyWest flights operated on behalf of Alaska beginning May 14, 2011:

Seattle to:
Daily roundtrips

Fresno, Calif.
1*

Long Beach, Calif.
2/4**

Portland, Ore.
1***

Santa Barbara, Calif.

Portland to:
Daily roundtrips

Burbank, Calif.

Ontario, Calif.

*SkyWest will operate one daily flight to rotate the regional jets through its maintenance base in Fresno. Horizon Air will continue to offer one daily flight in this market, as well as a daily flight between Portland and Fresno.

**SkyWest will operate two flights per day starting May 14, and increase service to four flights a day beginning June 16, 2011.

*** SkyWest will operate one daily flight to position aircraft for maintenance. Horizon will continue to operate the Seattle-Portland shuttle with 22 roundtrips a day.

A complete schedule of SkyWest operated flights is available at http://www.alaskasworld.com/Newsroom...ed_2-25-11.pdf.

Onboard food and beverage service will resemble what Horizon currently offers, including complimentary Northwest microbrews and wine for all passengers 21 years and older, and picnic packs for purchase. SkyWest will also offer Horizon Air's popular planeside Ala Carte baggage service. Boarding passes and a decal next to the aircraft boarding door will clearly indicate the flights are being operated for Alaska by SkyWest Airlines. Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan members flying on SkyWest-operated flights will continue to earn Mileage Plan credit.

"We are very pleased to begin a new partnership with Alaska Airlines," said Chip Childs, SkyWest Airlines president and chief operating officer. "Customers flying these routes will receive continued access to the Alaska brand and the quality service they've come to expect from both Alaska and SkyWest Airlines."

The partnership between the two airlines, known as a capacity purchase agreement, means SkyWest will operate and maintain its aircraft while Alaska is responsible for scheduling, pricing and marketing the flights. SkyWest is the third carrier to fly for Alaska Airlines under a capacity purchase agreement, joining Horizon Air in the Lower 48 and PenAir in Alaska.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Interesting, I thought we would see more routes out of PDX.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 9:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by formeraa
I guess boosting SEA-LGB to 4x takes priority.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 9:32 am

Programs: AS MVPG
I was hopeful that there'd be some PDX-Bay Area action, but I think it's safe to say that AS intends to keep the Q400 on those routes (minus the few mainline flights that may or may not last).
Old Feb 25, 2011, 9:59 am

With only 5 airplanes, it was probably hard to add anything beyond this.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:47 am

Programs: AS-MM 75K, Marriott Plat Lifetime, SPG Plat Lifetime, HH Gold
Will these Skywest flights count towards lifetime gold?
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by magiclamp
Presumably, yes.

"Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan members flying on SkyWest-operated flights will continue to earn Mileage Plan credit."
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by 402Fanatic
With only 5 airplanes, it was probably hard to add anything beyond this.
Oh, I totally get it. I just didn't realize the need for SEA-LGB 4X daily service for the aircraft.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:56 am

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
I am happy that the Alaska Air group came up with this arrangement and recognizing that certain aircraft are better on certain routes. This way they can keep an all Q400 fleet yet still provide service on those markets that they have been in and are presumably profitable or at least a good feed into the system. I will enjoy my microbrew (and hopefully cocktails in the future) on my trips from SEA to SBA.....flying above the weather
Old Feb 25, 2011, 3:15 pm

Oof, BUR-PDX in the afternoon now leaves an hour earlier. That's gonna make it a tougher flight for me (and presumably some others) to make sometimes.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 3:35 pm

Programs: MVP Gold 75K, Board Room, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Obvious indications that ALG is dead serious about an RFP to eventually replace QX if they cant improve their operating margins.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by maokh
Obvious indications that ALG is dead serious about an RFP to eventually replace QX if they cant improve their operating margins.
What is an obvious indication?
Old Feb 25, 2011, 5:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
Not really, this whole move is to make it so that QX is not responsible for margins anymore. All QX have been shifted to a CPA agreement, so QX is solely responsible for operating the flights at an effective cost. AS has taken on all marketing/sales/etc of the flights, and is responsible for the margin.

It was also to bring down QX's operating costs, now that they only have to maintain one type of plane.

It is the same way with the new Skywest flights.

Anyways, since AAG owns QX, they can't just casually replace QX anyways...
Old Feb 25, 2011, 5:07 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by magiclamp
one would asume but the release isnt that clear. Will the planes have AS livery? Like Mesaba, Comair, etc.... have with their respective airline contracts with large airlines?
Old Feb 25, 2011, 5:20 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
AS is one of the few that runs their own puddle jumper operation. But if they had the plan to replace QX I dont know if they wouldve just made a big rebranding effort....or would they Think about that for a second. If AS wanted to contract out to a third party for small commuter traffic it would be less confusing to consumers to have the same name on the little planes too, hmmm. I am not an advocate of 3rd party agreements. Safety, professionalism, and courtesy often get tossed to the wayside so I hope that isnt AAG long term goal. Its silly being on a Chautauqua Airlines(DBA AA) and be served drinks in DL cups

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.