Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[Alaska Airlines NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free) (2010-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 14, 2013, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beckoa
Welcome to the Newbie Lounge Thread!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread--click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
Cholula
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~
Print Wikipost

[Alaska Airlines NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free) (2010-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2014, 12:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
All Gold in the system now! That wasn't bad, 6 days start to finish.

However, I think what happened to me might be a little different than what some of you described...

I was waiting for my future reservations to show gold, and they did not. Then this morning I got the e-mail congratulating/welcoming me. Quick checked my future reservations, they all still said just MVP. So I called the number on the e-mail (which btw, was to elite customer care, who still had to transfer me to the gold desk - will I get a direct gold number?) - but anyway, when I got to the gold desk she said yes, I'm in the system, and she manually did the take out/put back in (and she knew all about it). Then and only then did my future reservations show gold.

Yay!
If the telephone number that you normally call from is in your online profile, AS should be routing you to the appropriate elite folks.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 1:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Ok, I'll continue to call the basic number when I need something (which is not very often).
Old Nov 3, 2014, 4:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
AS 805 (11/22) SMF to OGG, seats on expertflyer seat map, but not for sale?

I think I have seen a thread about this before, but is there an explanation for why if I go to the seat map for my rez for AS 805 on 11/22 I see seats available, but the flight doesn't show up if I try to make a new rez nor does there seem to be availability viw information on expertflyer (even though there seat map also shows open seats)?

The reason I ask is that the seat map shows an open middle next to my aisle seat. I am hoping that is the case, but the apparent contradiction between the seat map and the seat availability information on expertflyer has me confused.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 6:13 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by seldomseen
I think I have seen a thread about this before, but is there an explanation for why if I go to the seat map for my rez for AS 805 on 11/22 I see seats available, but the flight doesn't show up if I try to make a new rez nor does there seem to be availability viw information on expertflyer (even though there seat map also shows open seats)?
Some people may have not selected seats. Are you in one of the preferred seats? If so, I think that it's plausible someone with no elite status bought a ticket for a fare class not allowing seating in the preferred seat area and so can't actually pick anything until T-24 or whatever.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 5:14 am

Programs: AS 75K, AA EXP, Hilton Gold
Upgrade T fare?

As a 75K with a few extra upgrades, can I upgrade a friend who has purchased a T fare?
Old Nov 4, 2014, 7:30 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by bkkth
As a 75K with a few extra upgrades, can I upgrade a friend who has purchased a T fare?
"Tickets purchased in G, R, or T classes of service are not eligible for MVP Gold Guest Upgrades..."

More info here: http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...des.aspx#guest
Old Nov 4, 2014, 12:18 pm

I am hoping the AS people on this board can help me with a little trip planning for my family. My home airport is SEA and I'm trying to take advantage of some work trips to add some family vacation in at a reasonable price. I've put together a plan for a 2015 & 2016 vacation that I'm hoping you can help check for me as I've never strategically tried to max airline miles/usage, instead preferring to focus on cash back. So here's the plan starting with only about 2k FFM still in acct:

NOV, 2014:
- Sign up for targeted AS CC with 30k FFM bonus. (No spending requirement, but $75AF) (32kFFM total)
- Buy AS tix for work conference SEA to LAX for Feb 2015 (~2750FFM, including flight, 33.8kFFM)
- Use companion fare for DW at $120 SEA to LAX (~2360FFM, 36kFFM)
- Buy full coach fare for DS at $250 SEA to LAX (~2750FFM, 39kFFM)

FEB 2015: Do Disney post conference (spend $1000 for 1kFFM, 40kFFM)

NOV 2015:
- Pay annual fee $75 for CC
- Use 40kFFM for DS tix to Hawaii for FEB 2016 (Balance: 0FFM)
- Buy AS tix at full fare for me at $500 (7kFFM, 7kFFM)
- Use Companion fare for DW at $120 (5kFFM, 12kFFM)

After trips cancel AS CC, unless other trips on horizon.

Some questions:
1) Can companion fares accrue FFM?
2) I assume FF trips do not accrue FFM, right?
3) Did I miss something, or is there a more efficient way to do both these trips ~ 1yr apart?

Thanks for any help.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 2:19 pm

You can't pool miles together. Your wife earns her own miles, as does your son. Companion fares do earn, but for the person flying, not the person paying
Old Nov 4, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
I'm taking SEA - DCA rt in a couple of weeks, seated in coach for the moment. In the event I don't get upgrade (gasp! - 10 transcons in the last year and I've always been upgraded), do digE players usually run out before the exit row, where I'm sitted, or am I safe?
Old Nov 4, 2014, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by crimsona
You can't pool miles together. Your wife earns her own miles, as does your son. Companion fares do earn, but for the person flying, not the person paying
Well that's too bad. For some reason, I thought the miles could be transferred between ppl. Guess I got that confused with using miles to get tix for others.

In that case, I guess I'd have ~34kFFM after round 1 in FEB 2015. I could certainly move my spending to this card at 1mi/$, instead of my regular 2%-6% cash back. To minimize impact, I guess there is a Q#4 & 5:

4) I can use my FFM to buy tix for others, though, right?

5) Would it make sense to buy the Hawaii tickets for me/DS to get 3x miles (2kFFM), then obtain the FF ticket for DW? Or are the FF tix restrictions such that I should not worry about those 2k and get a the FF ticket first and buy the other tickets to coincide?
Old Nov 4, 2014, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by MonThruThurs
I'm taking SEA - DCA rt in a couple of weeks, seated in coach for the moment. In the event I don't get upgrade (gasp! - 10 transcons in the last year and I've always been upgraded), do digE players usually run out before the exit row, where I'm sitted, or am I safe?
I've never seen them run out of DigEs that early, and IME, they often make a pass through the cabin for 75Ks first before beginning to sell them to the general public.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 3:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Diamond
You can transfer between family members, but at a significant cost. Just sign on and start the process and you will see the charges. I have done it, but only for a few thousand needed to get a coveted award that I don't want to take a chance waiting for.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 5:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Now I'm confused...not sure my new gold status "took".

Flying tomorrow. Checked in on-line. Numbers 2 & 3 on the upgrade list...BUT...my husband, who is not gold (still MVP), AND has an alphabetical first name after mine, is listed ahead of me on the upgrade list.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 12:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

I've had family members around row 20 miss out of digeplayers on a KOA-ANC flight (longest in AS' system).

One can reserve online, not sure if refunds happen if one does get upgraded. *needs to be reserved over 24 hours out.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 11:26 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by jackal
I've never seen them run out of DigEs that early, and IME, they often make a pass through the cabin for 75Ks first before beginning to sell them to the general public.
Great news - thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.