FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   [Alaska Airlines NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free) (2010-2014) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1142410-alaska-airlines-newbie-lounge-ask-your-questions-here-flame-free-2010-2014-a.html)

Randy Petersen Oct 30, 2010 3:01 pm

[Alaska Airlines NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free) (2010-2014)

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The Newbie Lounge is a place where you can get answers to your questions about Alaska Airlines and the Mileage Plan program. No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about Alaska Airlines you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here.

We realize that FlyerTalk is a huge place. Until you learn your way around, feel free to post here without fear of retribution or reprimands for not using search. Our volunteer Ambassadors will be monitoring the lounge to assist you in finding your answers but I think you'll find that all members of FlyerTalk are here to assist you with answers and advice.

We're all glad you are here.

dabears1020 Oct 30, 2010 3:16 pm

Great idea! Despite being nearly MVPG, I'm sure I'll manage to make use of this thread quite a bit. :p

jackal Oct 30, 2010 10:39 pm

Me, too!

I'm honored that the Alaska Airlines forum is generally a flame-free, friendly place, but I hope that this thread serves as a great resource for people new to the Alaska program, the Alaska forum, FlyerTalk in general, or who just need to ask a question in a dedicated, friendly environment staffed with people charged to be especially helpful.

The ambassadors will be monitoring this thread regularly, answering your questions and/or pointing you in the right direction as to where to find more information or get further assistance. Any question is fair game, from earning and using miles on Alaska to qualifying for elite status or even for help understanding the ubiquitous acronyms used across the forums here. No question is too small or too dumb to be asked, and you're guaranteed to get a helpful, friendly response!

Those of you Alaska old-timers, feel free to contribute answers here just as you normally do in the rest of the Alaska forum. And while it's rarely an issue around these parts, make sure to leave the snark or the :rolleyes: at the door before entering. :) Also, I'll make two requests of you guys:

1) Limit the use of acronyms. Many newbies find acronyms to be exclusionary, and we don't want to make anyone feel excluded. If you're going to use an acronym, take the opportunity to help the newer people learn our shorthand around here by defining the acronym before using it.
2) This is a "lounge" thread, and discussion on virtually any topic is therefore allowed here. However, this thread is geared towards newbies, so let's not steal their thunder and go off on wild tangents here. Use the Alaska Airlines Lounge Thread for that. When posting in here, always respond with the idea that your post should be constructive to a newbie.

Cheers and welcome!

jackal
Co-Moderator (with Cholula)
Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Forum

YLW Oct 31, 2010 7:12 am

Originally Posted by dabears1020 (Post 15043833)
Great idea! Despite being nearly MVPG, I'm sure I'll manage to make use of this thread quite a bit. :p

Happy to start the list of "I oughta know this, but haven't found it anywhere" and "man, this is embarrassing to ask" questions:

As a first time MVP, counting miles to requalify, I don't know if bonus miles count as EQMs.
It appears the 'top-up' to 500 miles ones do, but do the MVP bonus miles?

Wish I had taken snapshots of our accounts before and after mileage posted!

jackal Oct 31, 2010 7:28 am

Originally Posted by YLW (Post 15046487)
Happy to start the list of "I oughta know this, but haven't found it anywhere" and "man, this is embarrassing to ask" questions:

As a first time MVP, counting miles to requalify, I don't know if bonus miles count as EQMs.
It appears the 'top-up' to 500 miles ones do, but do the MVP bonus miles?

Wish I had taken snapshots of our accounts before and after mileage posted!

Thanks for being the first, and your question is perfect for here!

Unfortunately, the answer is no. Only actual "butt-in-seat" miles count, with the sole exception of--as you already noted--the 500-mile minimum on short flights.

Thanks again!

YLW Oct 31, 2010 7:38 am

Thank YOU!
This thread is a great idea.

AKSteveB Nov 1, 2010 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by jackal (Post 15046552)
Thanks for being the first, and your question is perfect for here!

Unfortunately, the answer is no. Only actual "butt-in-seat" miles count, with the sole exception of--as you already noted--the 500-mile minimum on short flights.

Thanks again!

Nope, one other exception. Paid First Class is 1.5 x actual EQM

PetePDX Nov 1, 2010 1:39 pm

A question: is there a way one can ascertain fare classes for various segments by viewing on AlaskaAir.com? I've added an upcoming flight (all QX/AS metal, not a codeshare) to "My Trips", but all it tells me is that it's "coach".

This thread is a superb idea - thanks to all of the ambassadors for stepping up to do this!

CDKing Nov 1, 2010 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by PetePDX (Post 15053993)
A question: is there a way one can ascertain fare classes for various segments by viewing on AlaskaAir.com

The only place i've seen it is on the Confirmation letter alaska airlines emails after you purchase and on the boarding pass.

**EDIT** I found it. When you have your itin pulled up in my trips scroll all the way down to the bottom of Rules and Restrictions. You will see a link that says View All Fare Rules.

It will bring up one of those windows where you have to enter the code as it appears on the screen. Next it will bring you to a page with the fare basis for each segment. The first letter is the fare class

PetePDX Nov 1, 2010 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing (Post 15054126)
It will bring up one of those windows where you have to enter the code as it appears on the screen. Next it will bring you to a page with the fare basis for each segment. The first letter is the fare class

Alas, I still can't find it. The page I'm viewing is tagged with "FormName: UCViewPnr" (gray letters just above the J.D. Power award logo on the bottom left hand corner of the page).

I tried to e-mail the full itinerary/receipt to myself, but the system errored out.

I am wondering if the problem is that this reservation is found underneath the "Other" category (the other two My Trips categories being "Purchased" and "Held"). I seem to recall that the travel agent I'm compelled to use for work may not have "issued" the ticket just quite yet.

CDKing Nov 1, 2010 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by PetePDX (Post 15054606)
Alas, I still can't find it. The page I'm viewing is tagged with "FormName: UCViewPnr" (gray letters just above the J.D. Power award logo on the bottom left hand corner of the page).

I tried to e-mail the full itinerary/receipt to myself, but the system errored out.

I am wondering if the problem is that this reservation is found underneath the "Other" category (the other two My Trips categories being "Purchased" and "Held"). I seem to recall that the travel agent I'm compelled to use for work may not have "issued" the ticket just quite yet.

Thats the form name i'm looking at. It must only work for itin's booked straight through Alaska Air. Mine has a coupe lines of white space right above the form name and right above that is a link to baggage fee info and View All Fare Info is right above that. I also have an award ticket and it says award rules instead of View All Fare Info.

PetePDX Nov 1, 2010 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing (Post 15054709)
Thats the form name i'm looking at. It must only work for itin's booked straight through Alaska Air. Mine has a coupe lines of white space right above the form name and right above that is a link to baggage fee info and View All Fare Info is right above that. I also have an award ticket and it says award rules instead of View All Fare Info.

Ach, alas. I do appreciate you looking at this though: I'll keep monkeying with it and see what comes up. I have a bad feeling that I'm not getting upgraded anyways (First Class was not a purchasable option for the SEA-IAH leg in the AS reservations system).

EDIT 11/02: Okay, the reservation has been moved from "Held" to "Purchased", I can now view the fare rules, as well as add myself to the upgrade waitlist.

Tide_from_PAE Nov 1, 2010 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by PetePDX (Post 15053993)
A question: is there a way one can ascertain fare classes for various segments by viewing on AlaskaAir.com?

While not on alaskaair.com, your AS-issued boarding pass should have the fare class printed next to the flight number.

I'm glad to see this thread and am excited to learn even more about AS/QX.

YLW Nov 1, 2010 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by AKSteveB (Post 15053782)
Nope, one other exception. Paid First Class is 1.5 x actual EQM

Thank you! Very interesting. Because companion certs work with First Class tickets, and the companion normally receives full mileage credit, would the 1.5 X EQM also apply for the companion?

Cholula Nov 1, 2010 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by YLW (Post 15055344)
Thank you! Very interesting. Because companion certs work with First Class tickets, and the companion normally receives full mileage credit, would the 1.5 X EQM also apply for the companion?

Yes. I've traveled on a FC Companion certificate a number of times and I've received 1.5 X EQM every time. :)