Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[Alaska Airlines NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free) (2010-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 14, 2013, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beckoa
Welcome to the Newbie Lounge Thread!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread--click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
Cholula
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~
Print Wikipost

[Alaska Airlines NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free) (2010-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2014, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
i need to book some tickets to Maui and the last day or two the price shot way up on the return trip. the plane is booked about 1/3 full by the seat map, so i think it will come back down. the flight is still 5 months out.

my question is whether there is any reason as an MVPG to wait on purchasing. originally i had planned to use MVPG certs on this trip to ensure F, now the return flight is pricing as an MVPG instant up but U=0.

i guess at this point it is best to just buy it at the instant up price and if it does back down to claim the refund then apply the MVPG certs to the reissued ticket. since i also plan to use MVPG certs for the outbound i guess i should book it as two one ways so i don't lose the upgrade on the outbound if i have to reissue the ticket on a low price refund claim.

stupid me, two days ago it was a price that was palatable and the U was open on both. at least it is still far enough away and we are not married to SMF versus OAK but we are married to our travel dates as much as possible.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
+1 is about 900 miles short of requalifying for MVPG

She'll do a short MR in December. I have one booked, but she'd prefer to do the shortest possible flight.

If we book SEA-PDX-SEA, will the 500 mile minimum each way count as EQMs?

I've seen sub-500 mile flights (and SEA-PDX is around 129 miles per gcmap) post as 128 miles and 372 bonus miles (or 872 bonus miles for Gold.)

They don't really provide an accounting for how EQMs accumulate, so I'm not sure whether the 500 min counts for EQMs or only the actual distance flown... in which chase she'd better stick with a SEA-CA RT flight

I would appreciate your insight and wisdom
Old Nov 23, 2014, 5:55 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by seacarl
If we book SEA-PDX-SEA, will the 500 mile minimum each way count as EQMs?
Yes, SEA-PDX-SEA will count as 1000 EQMs (or even 1250 if booked in full-fare Y). The AS-metal mileage earning policy does list the 500-mile minimum; the MVP(G) bonus miles are a separate policy.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 7:29 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I have an end-of-December flight for which I'm on the upgrade waitlist as MVPG. Am more familiar with UA's upgrade scheme, and am simply wondering do those sort of complimentary upgrades ever clear far in advance of the flight?
Old Nov 25, 2014, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cblaisd
I have an end-of-December flight for which I'm on the upgrade waitlist as MVPG. Am more familiar with UA's upgrade scheme, and am simply wondering do those sort of complimentary upgrades ever clear far in advance of the flight?
If U space is open, it should clear at the MVPG window (72hr before flight). Note that if you have a companion and U is not sufficient to upgrade all of you, your res will not be processed (eg, U1 with 2 pax on an MVPG PNR, no upgrade until U2 or greater).

You can monitor U with dummy bookings or ExpertFlyer.

If you purchased an expensive ticket that is eligible for Instant upgrades it should clear when U opens no matter the date. Instant up are YBSMH fares IIRC.

Here is some more information: http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...-upgrades.aspx

Last edited by PV_Premier; Nov 25, 2014 at 8:03 am
Old Nov 25, 2014, 7:54 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Most helpful. Thank you.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Am more familiar with UA's upgrade scheme, and am simply wondering do those sort of complimentary upgrades ever clear far in advance of the flight?
I rarely if ever got upgrades at the 1K window on UA. On AS more often than not, I clear AS waitlist at my window.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:11 am

I booked an Alaska award with Avios and to my shock yesterday when I went to print out a BP at the airport kiosk for my flight, there was a message regarding requesting a complimentary upgrade. I assumed I'd be sitting in the exit row since it was an award ticket. But I clicked it, and immediately confirmed me in first class! Is this standard? Because I've read many times that award tickets aren't eligible for an upgrade on AS. First class was wide open on this flight and all elites were upgraded and there were still 4-5 open seats, and the plane departed with a seat or two not filled in first class. Maybe that had something to do with it. Still, I'm curious.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by redtigeriii
I booked an Alaska award with Avios and to my shock yesterday when I went to print out a BP at the airport kiosk for my flight, there was a message regarding requesting a complimentary upgrade. I assumed I'd be sitting in the exit row since it was an award ticket. But I clicked it, and immediately confirmed me in first class! Is this standard? Because I've read many times that award tickets aren't eligible for an upgrade on AS. First class was wide open on this flight and all elites were upgraded and there were still 4-5 open seats, and the plane departed with a seat or two not filled in first class. Maybe that had something to do with it. Still, I'm curious.
wow. sounds unusual.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I haven't done any flights where I was on award and F was wide open. I did get the upgrade thing once but it wanted to charge me $50.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Lucky you! Maybe a free upgrade is a perk of Avios?
Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by CDKing
I haven't done any flights where I was on award and F was wide open. I did get the upgrade thing once but it wanted to charge me $50.
That's my experience- its always tried to charge. This is one area AS lags with...no complimentary upgrades for elites on awards
Old Nov 26, 2014, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
In practice have folks earned Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles for flights (1) falling in the eligible DL flight number range (shown http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...ers/delta.aspx ) (2) marketed by Delta, even if (3) the flight is operated by a partner (Virgin Atlantic - VS - in my particular case)?

I do understand that the webpage explicitly states "To qualify for mileage accrual, please note that your flights must fall within the eligible flight number range below and your flight must be marketed and operated by Delta." However, I'm curious whether folks experiences are to the contrary.

I tried searching but didn't find much too helpful, so, I'd be happy with a mere point in the right direction if I've missed the road to the answer.

Last edited by FindAWay; Nov 26, 2014 at 2:15 pm
Old Nov 26, 2014, 3:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by FindAWay
In practice have folks earned Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles for flights (1) falling in the eligible DL flight number range (shown http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...ers/delta.aspx ) (2) marketed by Delta, even if (3) the flight is operated by a partner (Virgin Atlantic - VS - in my particular case)?

I do understand that the webpage explicitly states "To qualify for mileage accrual, please note that your flights must fall within the eligible flight number range below and your flight must be marketed and operated by Delta." However, I'm curious whether folks experiences are to the contrary.

I tried searching but didn't find much too helpful, so, I'd be happy with a mere point in the right direction if I've missed the road to the answer.
Considering people have had issues with flights marketed by a Partner and operated by a different partner (Qantas/Emirates or AA/BA for example), that is going to be highly doubtful. Best would be to have no FF number(Since AS won't have any benefits anyway on VS and then send the boarding pass in. If it fails, get credit from Delta instead).
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Don't think you'll have luck as VS and AS do not partner. Other codeshares with partners like DL and KL sometimes work, but these do both partner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.