Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

MVP/G/75K Benefits on Delta Airlines (2010-2012 edition)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2012, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beckoa
Consolidated benefits for AS Elites flying DL

MVP
  • Zone 1 Boarding
  • One Free checked bag
  • priority seating
  • 25% discount on International Economy Comfort
  • Space Available upgrades

MVPG/75K
  • Zone SKY Boarding
  • SkyPriority Checkin
  • SkyPriority Lane for Security
  • Two Free Checked Bags (70 lbs domestic, 50 lbs Intl)
  • Priority Seating
  • 50% discount on International Economy Comfort
  • Space Available upgrades
Print Wikipost

MVP/G/75K Benefits on Delta Airlines (2010-2012 edition)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2012, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by baliktad
I seem to remember something in the news about a regulation change similar to this... Some consumers got caught in a situation where they purchased a ticket from Carrier A but the first segment was operated by Carrier B. The baggage charges were different, the pax complained, and eventually some regulation got passed that mandated that baggage fees were always subject to the ticketing carrier's regulations, regardless of the first segment operator. I don't know if it was a DOT thing, FAA thing, or otherwise, but I can't find any more evidence of such a rule change and my recollection of the specifics is fuzzy at best.
Your recollection of the details is pretty good, actually. It's a DOT rule effective from January 2012 that declares the marketing carrier's baggage allowance for the first segment will apply for the entire journey. Not ticketing carrier. Not operating carrier. This applies over the geographic scope of the U.S. DOT rule making - basically any itin with a U.S. origin, destination, or stopover.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 11:31 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
\the marketing carrier's baggage allowance for the first segment will apply for the entire journey. Not ticketing carrier. Not operating carrier.
I'm confused about the definitions

Marketing-I thought same as ticketing carrier
Operating-airline that operates physical airplane
Ticketing-airline the sells and issues ticket with there flight #?
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by kwl747
I'm confused about the definitions

Marketing-I thought same as ticketing carrier
Operating-airline that operates physical airplane
Ticketing-airline the sells and issues ticket with there flight #?
Marketing: The carrier whose code is attached to the flight number
Operating: Airline that operates the physical airplane (correct)
Ticketing: Airline who collects the money and on whose stock the ticket is issued

Usually, as you indicated, the marketing and ticketing carriers will match. But sometimes, you can buy a ticket from one airline but have the flight be marketed, coded, and operated by a second airline.

In fact, it's technically possible for one airline to plate the itinerary, a second airline to market the flight, and a third airline to operate it. For example, you can buy a ticket on AA.com (and have it plated on AA ticket stock) for US Airways flight 6486, operated by United (DFW-IAD).

In that case, according to the rules referenced above by baliktad and 3Cforme, you'd receive US's baggage allowance, since the flight was marketed as a US flight. The ticketing carrier (AA) has nothing to do with this itinerary, other than the fact they collected the money (and will pay US, or maybe UA--not sure how that works--after you fly the flight).

The interesting question for me is when the marketing carrier has a less-restrictive baggage allowance than the operating carrier. If I go to a UA ticket counter with my 3x70 bags and show them my UA Premier Platinum card, will they really charge me $90x3 because I only get 3x50 when flying on US? Are the UA computer systems really programmed to do that, and will the agents know what to charge me? The rule should, IMHO, always honor the least restrictive baggage policy (either marketing or operating carrier, whichever is less restrictive).
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:56 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by steadyASshegoes
I just noticed that they stopped giving AS elites access to E+, or even discounts, for travel in North America. It does seem silly to allow SkyTeam Elite Plus access to E+ but not AS elites, but I guess they figure they can get us to pay for it (since we do much more domestic travel than most other SkyTeam elites. Either that or we were taking too many seats, reducing their revenue.
Where did you read this?

AS still shows it as a benefit online

Discount Economy Comfort seating on Delta Air Lines international flights:

MVP® . MVP® Gold . MVP® Gold 75K
25% off . 50% off . 50% off

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...omparison.aspx

Has this been officially withdrawn now? Or was it only ever offered on International Flights and not Domestic? Is Canada Transborder/Caribbean considered International?

So confused!
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:59 pm

Programs: AS, DL
AS axed the DL E+ benefit for domestic flights a while back. The E+ discount on DL international flights is a recent addition.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, but earlier today I bought a mixed AS/DL itinerary from AS, with one DL segment showing a T fare code as ineligible for upgrade, which is ok by me; the other segment shows a G fare code, which seems eligible, but unlike AS reservations, there's nothing on the DL res I can find confirming that I've been added to the (advance) queue as an AS Gold.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 9:09 pm

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, but earlier today I bought a mixed AS/DL itinerary from AS, with one DL segment showing a T fare code as ineligible for upgrade, which is ok by me; the other segment shows a G fare code, which seems eligible, but unlike AS reservations, there's nothing on the DL res I can find confirming that I've been added to the (advance) queue as an AS Gold.
T class should be upgradable on DL unless it is an aircraft without first class, an international flight with BuisinessElite service, or a flight to/from Hawaii.

Using the DL confirmation number on the DL website, each flight segment should say "Medallion Upgrade Requested" in small print above the flight date and in the passengers section. If not, call DL and ask to be added to the list. The agent might have to go into the notes section of your reservation and delete the notation "passenger declines complementary upgrade."
Old Nov 10, 2012, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Thanks -- since I posted, the T-fare segment shows that I'm upgrade waitlisted, but the G-fare one does not. It's a 90 minute flight, and I'm in an exit row seat, but I have been confused about all this stuff.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 6:44 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Thanks -- since I posted, the T-fare segment shows that I'm upgrade waitlisted, but the G-fare one does not. It's a 90 minute flight, and I'm in an exit row seat, but I have been confused about all this stuff.
The AS segment won't show as upgrade eligible on the DL site, no matter what the fare class. You would or would have needed to contact AS to get on the first class waitlist for the AS segment on a mixed itinerary and it will only show the waitlist status on the AS site, not DL's, for the AS segment.

The DL segments will show as upgrade eligible on the DL site if they are indeed eligible.

I know that's the case if you buy the ticket on the DL site; not sure if that's the case if you buy it on the AS site.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks!

I'm waitlisted on the AS segments, and am assuming that the DL one that has a blank space instead of "upgrade requested" under their PNR is a flight where either a G fare is ineligible, or FC is honestly fully booked a month out. If that segment were over two hours, I might have considered springing for E+ (there are lots of those showing).
Old Nov 11, 2012, 2:22 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by SamuelS
Where did you read this?

AS still shows it as a benefit online

Discount Economy Comfort seating on Delta Air Lines international flights:

MVP® . MVP® Gold . MVP® Gold 75K
25% off . 50% off . 50% off

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...omparison.aspx

Has this been officially withdrawn now? Or was it only ever offered on International Flights and not Domestic? Is Canada Transborder/Caribbean considered International?

So confused!
Here is the official link to the information on Delta's website.

Officially, no discount on domestic US/Canada/Caribbean/Central America, 50% on all other flights for golds, 25% for MVP.

In my experience, my recent JFK - SJU flight did NOT have a discount, my upcoming ATL - SAP flight DOES appear to be discounted (either that, or this is a route where they price it lower?). SLC - ATL is similar flight time, EC is $59. ATL - SAP is $29.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 2:25 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Alll - I have updated the first post:

MVPG now boards with SKY. Let me know if the MVP boarding zone is still zone 2.

I have put the information on EC discounts, and a link to DL's website for the particulars.

I don't follow this thread extremely regularly...but I do seem to fly DL extremely regularly these days. I will do my best to update the first post with changes, but if you notice a discussion come up in the thread, or a change in policy that should be added, please feel free to PM me.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 2:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
Let me know if the MVP boarding zone is still zone 2.
My MVP boarding zone for a flight tomorrow morning says Zone 1.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is SKYPRIORITY an enhancement from Zone 1 or the same deal with a different name?
Old Nov 11, 2012, 6:20 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
In my experience, my recent JFK - SJU flight did NOT have a discount, my upcoming ATL - SAP flight DOES appear to be discounted (either that, or this is a route where they price it lower?). SLC - ATL is similar flight time, EC is $59. ATL - SAP is $29.
I don't think that's a discount. It's been my experience that DL varies the pricing for EC based on flight segment length.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.