Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

MVP/G/75K Benefits on Delta Airlines (2010-2012 edition)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2012, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beckoa
Consolidated benefits for AS Elites flying DL

MVP
  • Zone 1 Boarding
  • One Free checked bag
  • priority seating
  • 25% discount on International Economy Comfort
  • Space Available upgrades

MVPG/75K
  • Zone SKY Boarding
  • SkyPriority Checkin
  • SkyPriority Lane for Security
  • Two Free Checked Bags (70 lbs domestic, 50 lbs Intl)
  • Priority Seating
  • 50% discount on International Economy Comfort
  • Space Available upgrades
Print Wikipost

MVP/G/75K Benefits on Delta Airlines (2010-2012 edition)

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2012, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
I was wondering about all this...have two DL itins in June: one PDX-SLC-EWR r/t. The other PDX-ATL-SXM o/w. When I booked each of these some time ago, I opted for my usual exit row or bulkhead seats (a much-appreciated DL benefit, I might add). With the EC addition, bulkhead seats are now EC (grandfathered, so no $$) and the exit rows remain.

From all the chatter I'm reading from DL flyers, it's not worth anything to switch from an exit row to EC on domestic (including Caribbean) flights. No extra leg room (probably less except in bulkhead on most a/c); no extra seat width; negligible extra recline. Only significant benefit is free booze, a non-issue for teetotaler me.

So, for the SXM trip, I'm keeping 18D (exit row aisle) on the 737-800 PDX-ATL and 27D (exit row aisle) on the 757 ATL-SXM.

On the NYC itin, I decided to experiment (before I did much research), so from PDX-SLC, I'm in 20C (bulkhead exit row aisle, an EC seat, $29) on the 757, from SLC-EWR, 11D (exit row aisle) on an A319 or A320; from EWR-SLC, 5D (standard EC aisle, $29) on an A320; and from SLC-PDX, 23C (standard EC aisle, $29) on a 757. (I was interested in the latter since the table/tray on the 757 exit rows is so badly designed that it is punitive on the midsection of any male other than an anorexic marathon runner.)

I did call DL CS the other day to ask about the benefits of the EC seats and benefits accorded AS elites. The guy was both clueless and a less than masterful b.s. artist. The highlights of his answers:

a. "yes, $29 is half price" (wrong)
b. "the EC seats are wider than standard seats" (you-should-know-better wrong)
c. "the main benefit of the EC seats is that they are just more relaxing" (incredible)

Will report after these trips. My biggest fear now is just how miserable I will be doing the PDX-JFK-IST r/t (<$600) run on DL this winter. I haven't flown coach int'l in many, many years and reports on the EC seats on the 763 are very discouraging.

--mcz
Old May 28, 2012, 1:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by golfingboy
I am not sure what you are talking about, but 148 out of 206 737s have E+ now... By the end of the summer, almost all UA birds will have E+.
That was my mistake, then. I was looking at UA's 738 configurations one, two, and four, without realizing that configuration three is now the predominant one.
Old May 28, 2012, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by mczlaw
Only significant benefit is free booze
No free booze on domestic EC. That's only international EC IIRC.
Old May 28, 2012, 6:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.583 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by jackal
Only significant benefit is free booze
No free booze on domestic EC. That's only international EC IIRC.
Correct

And I'm not sure the Caribbean counts as Intl...
Old May 28, 2012, 8:05 pm

>>> SNIP <<< and from SLC-PDX, 23C (standard EC aisle, $29) on a 757. (I was interested in the latter since the table/tray on the 757 exit rows is so badly designed that it is punitive on the midsection of any male other than an anorexic marathon runner.)
I just had an ATL - MSP run in a 757, had second row over-wing exit row seating and that row is literally walk-in walk-out comfy/roomy, with traytables in the seatback. Hope this helps.
Old May 28, 2012, 9:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.583 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by Valveman
>>> SNIP <<< and from SLC-PDX, 23C (standard EC aisle, $29) on a 757. (I was interested in the latter since the table/tray on the 757 exit rows is so badly designed that it is punitive on the midsection of any male other than an anorexic marathon runner.)
I just had an ATL - MSP run in a 757, had second row over-wing exit row seating and that row is literally walk-in walk-out comfy/roomy, with traytables in the seatback. Hope this helps.
For some odd reason DL 738's with IFE- row 2 of exit row had tray table in armrest and in seat in front of me
Old May 28, 2012, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Valveman
I don't doubt this. Unfortunately, DL flies about five different versions of the 752. I've been on the one you describe too. Wish it were uniformly that way.

--mcz
Old May 29, 2012, 10:38 am

Programs: AS MVPG-75K & HYATT Diamond; former DL-DM, AA-PLT, US-PLT
I don't doubt this. Unfortunately, DL flies about five different versions of the 752. I've been on the one you describe too. Wish it were uniformly that way.

--mcz

Which version of the 757 has the tray tables in the seatback? I have flown this style twice, and I think there are only 4 or 6 of them.

Also, this version might also be the one that has extra pitch in the first 4 or 5 rows of coach, and a missing window.

I would rather have EC than those miserable exit row seats with fixed armrests.

The lack of fixed armrests in the exit rows on the AS 737's is the single biggest thing that keeps me on AS. DL, AA & WN 737's have them, and they are not at all comfortable for me, and I'm not big.
Old May 29, 2012, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by dsldog400

The lack of fixed armrests in the exit rows on the AS 737's is the single biggest thing that keeps me on AS. DL, AA & WN 737's have them, and they are not at all comfortable for me, and I'm not big.
Really- they all have the fixed armrests? Why, if AS doesn't?
Old Jun 4, 2012, 9:50 am

Programs: AS 75k, SPG Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by golfingboy
I am not sure what you are talking about, but 148 out of 206 737s have E+ now... By the end of the summer, almost all UA birds will have E+. The configurations on those birds are [F/Y+/Y]:

739s- 20/51/96
738s- 16/48/90
73Gs- 12/40/66

DL's domestic Y+ product does not provide the same amount of legroom as the ones on UA... UA offers up to 5" more, while DL offers mostly up to 3".

When they first rolled out EC, I was a little surprised at the # of EC seats. Then they are allowing DMs/PMs/GMs + up to 8 companions as well as all SkyTeam Elite Plus members. Naturally, they decided to fart on the ugly stepchild's face, a.k.a. AS, even though most of the SkyTeam partners do not even give DL elites preferred seats.

Pretty pathetic on DL's part and I am very disappointed in AS for not trying to work out an agreement. Now, on my upcoming flight, there were only 2 rows of preferred seats plus the exit rows. I can't sit in the exit row, therefore, there are only 2 rows for me to choose from, which are between EC and the exit rows [only FEW rows].
I just noticed that they stopped giving AS elites access to E+, or even discounts, for travel in North America. It does seem silly to allow SkyTeam Elite Plus access to E+ but not AS elites, but I guess they figure they can get us to pay for it (since we do much more domestic travel than most other SkyTeam elites. Either that or we were taking too many seats, reducing their revenue.

In any case, it is disappointing. Access to DL's Y+ was a good reason to choose DL over AA now that we get priority seating on AA. Well, now DL will lose revenue from me when I fly a slightly-cheaper or slightly-better-timed AA flight instead of DL's Y+.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 12:06 am

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
Baggage fees on dl for AS MVP gold

What is fee for third bag if 50lb and if 70lb. No one seems to know. Thanks
Old Oct 2, 2012, 12:21 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by UAAAPeter
What is fee for third bag if 50lb and if 70lb. No one seems to know. Thanks
Assuming an MVPG traveling within the U.S.

2 free checked bags each weighing up to 70 lbs. The additional bag, if under 50 lbs is $25, if 51-70 lbs, $90. You'd be better splitting into 2 bags under 50 lbs paying $25 and $35 respectively.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 10:48 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by kwl747
Assuming an MVPG traveling within the U.S.

2 free checked bags each weighing up to 70 lbs. The additional bag, if under 50 lbs is $25, if 51-70 lbs, $90. You'd be better splitting into 2 bags under 50 lbs paying $25 and $35 respectively.
Unfortunately not true.

They (Alaska!) tried to charge me $125 for the third bag, and $325 total for the fourth bag. First two were free, as a MVPG traveling on a Delta ticket.

Delta's website is very unclear how much extra bags are for elites. Apparently the rules changed within the last month or two, and not listed on either website, that the ticketing carriers baggage rules apply. Not the initial carrier.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 6:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
Unfortunately not true.

They (Alaska!) tried to charge me $125 for the third bag, and $325 total for the fourth bag. First two were free, as a MVPG traveling on a Delta ticket.

Delta's website is very unclear how much extra bags are for elites. Apparently the rules changed within the last month or two, and not listed on either website, that the ticketing carriers baggage rules apply. Not the initial carrier.
that is really bizarre- AS collecting baggage $ for DL?.

this also implies that overweight fees would not apply til 70lbs for golds checking in with AS on a 006 ticket, and that 3x70lbs would be allowed if confirmed in first, if ticketing carrier's baggage rules/fees apply. doesn't sound right.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 7:31 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
Unfortunately not true.

I seem to remember something in the news about a regulation change similar to this... Some consumers got caught in a situation where they purchased a ticket from Carrier A but the first segment was operated by Carrier B. The baggage charges were different, the pax complained, and eventually some regulation got passed that mandated that baggage fees were always subject to the ticketing carrier's regulations, regardless of the first segment operator. I don't know if it was a DOT thing, FAA thing, or otherwise, but I can't find any more evidence of such a rule change and my recollection of the specifics is fuzzy at best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.