Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

MVP/G/75K Benefits on Delta Airlines (2010-2012 edition)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2012, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beckoa
Consolidated benefits for AS Elites flying DL

MVP
  • Zone 1 Boarding
  • One Free checked bag
  • priority seating
  • 25% discount on International Economy Comfort
  • Space Available upgrades

MVPG/75K
  • Zone SKY Boarding
  • SkyPriority Checkin
  • SkyPriority Lane for Security
  • Two Free Checked Bags (70 lbs domestic, 50 lbs Intl)
  • Priority Seating
  • 50% discount on International Economy Comfort
  • Space Available upgrades
Print Wikipost

MVP/G/75K Benefits on Delta Airlines (2010-2012 edition)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2011, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BonVoy Titanium
Hi all, I'm flying Delta for the first time tomorrow since hitting MVPG. I just finished OLCI and my upgrade status is currently "Upgrade Requested" and I'm #1/1 on the waitlist with 1 FC seat available. Reading current posts in this thread, it sounds like DL will try and sell that seat to other PAX and then offer me an upgrade if no other Medallions join the waitlist in the meantime, and no one buys out the seat? Should I hope for the upgrade to take place at baggage check in or at the gate? Any tips on what to expect/increase odds of scoring that seat are appreciated.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 4:15 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by UpIntheError
Hi all, I'm flying Delta for the first time tomorrow since hitting MVPG. I just finished OLCI and my upgrade status is currently "Upgrade Requested" and I'm #1/1 on the waitlist with 1 FC seat available. Reading current posts in this thread, it sounds like DL will try and sell that seat to other PAX and then offer me an upgrade if no other Medallions join the waitlist in the meantime, and no one buys out the seat? Should I hope for the upgrade to take place at baggage check in or at the gate? Any tips on what to expect/increase odds of scoring that seat are appreciated.
FWIW, Delta will not upsell the FC seats until after everyone on the upgrade list has been upgraded... However, if a customer shows up at the airport and purchases a full-fare F ticket then that seat will go to that customer... They won't do what Continental does with kiosk upgrades. That will change soon though when DL starts upselling in a few months...

You are #1 with only one FC seat, so your odds are near nil unfortunately... I checked in for my LAX-ATL flight and I was #4 then when we began boarding I was #30...
Old Feb 7, 2011, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by golfingboy
FWIW, Delta will not upsell the FC seats until after everyone on the upgrade list has been upgraded... However, if a customer shows up at the airport and purchases a full-fare F ticket then that seat will go to that customer... They won't do what Continental does with kiosk upgrades. That will change soon though when DL starts upselling in a few months...

You are #1 with only one FC seat, so your odds are near nil unfortunately... I checked in for my LAX-ATL flight and I was #4 then when we began boarding I was #30...
Thanks for the insight. Just curious, why does the wait list increase so much between 24 hr OLCI and boarding? Is that because Silver Medallions don't typically request upgrade in advance, but once they check in day of they get added to the list? Going from #4 to #30, that's a lot of folks!

This is mid-afternoon flight from LAX to LAS on a CRJ, so I'm hoping it's not a popular route flown by Medallion types and I luck out, fingers crossed.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by UpIntheError
Thanks for the insight. Just curious, why does the wait list increase so much between 24 hr OLCI and boarding? Is that because Silver Medallions don't typically request upgrade in advance, but once they check in day of they get added to the list? Going from #4 to #30, that's a lot of folks!
The list only shows upgrade eligible passengers who have not been upgraded yet that has checked in...

So not everyone checks in at 24 hours, so as we get closer to the departure time, the list will grow as more Medallions check in...

Some have utilized the standby strategy where you will standby for an earlier flight or a later flight that has more F seats open... For tomorrow's LAX-LAS flights:

6:45AM F9
8:00AM F4
11:12AM F4
2:42PM F1
6:19PM F6
7:45PM F7

So if I were you, I would try to move to the 6PM flight or move up to the 11AM flight to increase my chances of snagging an upgrade... Granted you do not have another flight to catch out of LAS... I am not sure about DL's standby policy on itineraries with connections...

LAX-LAS is not an elite heavy route for sure, so I got my fingers crossed for you ^

P.S. when you arrive at the airport immediately ask the agent to move you to a bulkhead seat... Those seats have more legroom than the F seats and they are incredibly comfortable... Also you can put your bag under the F seat in front of you...

Last edited by golfingboy; Feb 7, 2011 at 4:33 pm
Old Feb 7, 2011, 4:59 pm

Thanks golfingboy, I'm looking forward to my first experience on DL since hitting Gold.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 10:54 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Platinum, AVIS First, National Emerald Club
Finally scored one

Louisville - ATL

I WAS #6 ATL - SFO but when I got to the gate I slid all the way to #31.

I'll take the premier seating but the shot at an upgrade is often like a cruel game.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by golfingboy
The list only shows upgrade eligible passengers who have not been upgraded yet that has checked in...

So not everyone checks in at 24 hours, so as we get closer to the departure time, the list will grow as more Medallions check in...
Only AS elites are psycho about checking in at the T-24 hour mark exactly...There is no such ridiculous motivation on other airlines where the upgrade process is transparent and actually works. The DL elites likely use OLCI out of convenience, not out of necessity because they are afraid their carrier will strip away a valued benefit if they don't check in "early and often".

Just my $0.02

Last edited by ANC RED-EYE; Feb 8, 2011 at 10:46 pm
Old Feb 8, 2011, 3:48 am

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
So far I'm running 2/2 for Delta upgrades (LAX-SFO roundtrip), although for the trip home I probably wouldn't have been upgraded if it wasn't for a equipment problem with the CRJ900 at LAX, and they ended up sending a CRJ700 to get us, but the flight ended up leaving over 2 hours late, so a lot of people were moved to other flights (flight was very empty, with only 6/9 of FC occupied, and then than half of coach full).

Both times I didn't get the upgrade until the gate agent processed the upgrade (SkyClub couldn't do anything about it until the gate agent got to that point either).
Old Feb 17, 2011, 5:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Delta refused to put me in priority seating or on the upgrade list when I called about my reservation booked via alaskaair.com. It would be lovely if we could actually use our published benefits as MVPGs. Upgrades are one thing, but I can't even have a damn exit row seat?
Old Feb 17, 2011, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by dabears1020
Delta refused to put me in priority seating or on the upgrade list when I called about my reservation booked via alaskaair.com. It would be lovely if we could actually use our published benefits as MVPGs. Upgrades are one thing, but I can't even have a damn exit row seat?
I believe you should also have a Delta flight confirmation code in the Alaska reservation. If not, you should be able to call Delta and get it. Once you have that, you should be able to pull up your reservation on the Delta website, and as long as Delta site recognizes you as MVP Gold properly, you can get Preferred seating including exit row, make sure an upgrade is requested, etc.

I usually book my Delta tickets on Delta.com, but it shouldn't make a difference if it is code share or not as long as you have the Delta confirmation code, and have no trouble accessing the benefits of the agreement as an AS MVP.

I just we had a number to call Delta with when we have issues as an MVP instead of having to call the regular line (ie the number that Delta Silver members use).
Old Feb 17, 2011, 5:37 pm

Programs: AS 75k, SPG Plat, HHonors Diamond
I assume you've tried selecting a seat online? If that doesn't work, call back and if the agent still won't do it, ask for a supervisor. I've had to do that for many AS-coded, DL/OO-operated flights booked through Alaska. Delta's non-elite customer service is notoriously poor and their front-line agents are woefully inexperienced and untrained. But generally supervisors are able to take care of it, and if they won't, you can ask for their supervisor. Or just call back again. Annoying, but that's the price we pay for flying DL, I guess.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by meballard
I believe you should also have a Delta flight confirmation code in the Alaska reservation. If not, you should be able to call Delta and get it. Once you have that, you should be able to pull up your reservation on the Delta website, and as long as Delta site recognizes you as MVP Gold properly, you can get Preferred seating including exit row, make sure an upgrade is requested, etc.

I usually book my Delta tickets on Delta.com, but it shouldn't make a difference if it is code share or not as long as you have the Delta confirmation code, and have no trouble accessing the benefits of the agreement as an AS MVP.

I just we had a number to call Delta with when we have issues as an MVP instead of having to call the regular line (ie the number that Delta Silver members use).
Yes, I used the Delta confirmation code. I tried on Delta.com and it wouldn't let me even see the seat map. On Alaskaair.com it lets me see a seat map, but I can't pick any seats inside the preferred area.

I then called Delta's support line and gave her my Delta confirmation code. She found my reservation in the system but said she wasn't able to change my seat into preferred seating or anything. She put my on hold to "talk to her supervisor" and came back and told me I'd have to wait until I get to the airport and have them move me. By then I'm sure any worthwhile exit row seats will be gone, and of course an upgrade is totally out of the question. Oh well.

I honestly just don't care enough to sit on hold for another hour to talk to another supervisor. It's just a quick SFO-LAX, so I'd rather not spend more time on the phone than actually on the plane.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 6:13 pm

and of course an upgrade is totally out of the question. Oh well.
I wouldn't bet on that. I've only ever gotten upgrades on Delta after I was at the airport (and through security). For Delta's lowest levels (where Alaska MVP/Gold members are grouped), the upgrades are often not issued until the gate agent releases the last of the F seats for upgrades.

Interesting on the seat selection thing, I guess a reason for me to just continue to buy tickets directly from Delta...
Old Feb 17, 2011, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by meballard
I wouldn't bet on that. I've only ever gotten upgrades on Delta after I was at the airport (and through security). For Delta's lowest levels (where Alaska MVP/Gold members are grouped), the upgrades are often not issued until the gate agent releases the last of the F seats for upgrades.

Interesting on the seat selection thing, I guess a reason for me to just continue to buy tickets directly from Delta...
I suppose you're right. It's only an A320 with 16 F seats, several of which are already taken with 7 days until departure. A good 15 seats taken within the priority area as well, so I'm not too excited about my chances. We'll see though.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Yes, I used the Delta confirmation code. I tried on Delta.com and it wouldn't let me even see the seat map. On Alaskaair.com it lets me see a seat map, but I can't pick any seats inside the preferred area.
If you can't see the seat map (and DL.com gives you a message as to such), it likely means that your flight is oversold and there are no seats available for selection at this time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.