Wiki Posts
Search

Air NZ in the news

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2008, 1:07 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Air NZ plans new bag charge

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/...ectid=10502213

Air New Zealand will charge domestic travellers up to $20 for a second bag in sweeping plans to overhaul airport check-in.

Ive got no problem with the piece system being used as i normail only take 1 bag on INT.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 3:42 pm

Under the plans, to be finalised within the next month, the domestic luggage allowance will rise from 20kg to 30kg a passenger. It means passengers could be better off, if they pack tighter and not lighter.

The airline says its existing $5-a-kilogram excess baggage charge starts at 23kg, so a 30kg bag would cost $35 under the present system.

Frequent flyers, defined as those taking 14 flights or more a year, will get two free bags under the new regime by using a personalised tag system.
This is where my problems are:

1. It seems ludicrous to increase the domestic luggage allowance to 30kg per passenger
2. 14 flights a year on NZ fine but if they have to be credited to Airpoints.... then....
3. What about Star Elites?
Old Apr 4, 2008, 3:45 pm

Sure hope these measures are in addition to (or at least "alongside") *A benefits!!
Old Apr 4, 2008, 4:00 pm

It seems to be the trendy thing for airlines to do now, I take it the 14flights per year pax are the pax that will get to sit in the foward setting zone on the 737s.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 4:15 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
Raises the question of just how well does NZ track total travel on them? AFAIK not very well. Most of my NZ flights are credited to other programs to maximise earning. I could well be in the case of being NZ*E without 14 flights credited to Airpoints even though I fly roughly 100 NZ flights a year.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 4:39 pm

I won't be affect by the charge as I rarely check a suitcase, there's not much need for anything save my carryon bag when I visit TRG.
And I'll probably exceed 14 flights on NZ this year.
Kiwi Flyer, maybe they'll implement a name/address based method for recording flights with NZ?
Old Apr 4, 2008, 4:43 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Has NZ increased the check-in cut off for domestic?
It seems that on some of my NZ intineraries from my work TA indicate 40-45 minutes for check in on NZ domestic flights?
How did NZ work out this saving would be 40% of chceck in time?
Old Apr 4, 2008, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
Has NZ increased the check-in cut off for domestic?
It seems that on some of my NZ intineraries from my work TA indicate 40-45 minutes for check in on NZ domestic flights?
How did NZ work out this saving would be 40% of chceck in time?
Though NZ reduced check in time to 20mins.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 10:46 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
I guess this is one of the enhancements they were talking about - and a lousy one.

Perhaps they're going to add a sector count to Airpoints? 14 flights = NZ*S? If it counted Smart Saver fares that would be quite neat.

Of course, the idea behind the baggage charging is stupid. The existing system works fine IMO.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 1:01 pm

Mile high Texting

Air New Zealand domestic passengers may soon be able to send and receive text messages but, "for comfort rather than safety", phone calls will still be banned.

The company's deputy chief executive Norm Thompson has confirmed the airline is looking at installing technology so cellphones can be used safely on domestic flights.
Veiw more @ http://www.nzherald.co.nz/topic/stor...ectid=10502295
Old Apr 5, 2008, 8:25 pm

Press Release: Air New Zealand Proposed Domestic Baggage Improvements

Air New Zealand confirms today it is planning to introduce a simplified baggage allowance process for domestic passengers later in the year.

This would see the current weight based allowance for checked-in baggage replaced by a piece system.

Under the proposed piece system, customers would be entitled to one piece of checked-in baggage weighing up to 30kg, providing customers with up to 10kg more baggage than they are currently allowed.

Domestic customers today have an allowance of 20kg, with excess baggage charges of $5 per kg over that allowance. Under the current system, 30kg of baggage costs the customer $50 in excess baggage charges.

Under the new proposed piece system, customers wishing to travel with an additional bag would be charged $10 for that second bag, which could also weigh up to 30kg. This would provide significant savings compared to todays weight allowance where this amount of additional weight costs the customer up to $150.

This is a customer led initiative as a result of our customers telling us very clearly that they hate the restriction and cost involved because of the weight system, says Air New Zealand Group General Manager Short Haul Airline Bruce Parton.

Not knowing if youre over the 20kg weight allowance when you get to the airport is a huge worry for people. This would eliminate that.

It is part of a wider project to simplify the domestic experience and reduce the amount of time people need to spend in queues at the airport.
Air New Zealand
Old Apr 5, 2008, 8:30 pm

If they implemented this then instantly for all *Gs.... 2 30kg pieces for domestic travel would be the allowance. However there is max liability per bag... which is why many of us check several bags.

Domestic Flight closing of 15 minutes hasn't changed?

Whatever they are doing about that ajnz I just wish they would hurry up and let us know so that we can plan.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 10:26 pm

Uk/Europe Fare Rises

Air New Zealand wish to advise the following amendments to the UK/Europe long term economy and premium economy fares effective for sales/ticketing on/after 10 April 08. Any existing bookings must be ticketed on/before 18 April 08 otherwise the new fares will apply.

Global Saver Economy Return Fares (_EU1Y/_UK1Y) have increased by $100
Global Saver Economy One Way Fares (_EUOW/_UKOW)) have increased by $60
Global Saver Premium Economy Class return lead-in fares (OEU1Y/OUK1Y) have increased by $200. One way fares increase by $120.

As a result of these changes the following amendments will apply to the sector surcharges:
Premium Economy sector upgrade from L/T/W/V/Q to O/E class fares increase by $25 per sector
Business Premier sector upgrade from L/T/W/V/Q to J/Z class decrease by $25 per sector
Premium Economy sector upgrade from H/M to O class increase by $50 per sector
Business Premier sector upgrade from O to J/Z/D/C class decrease by $50 per sector
Old Apr 9, 2008, 1:06 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Air NZ to allow texting on flights

Incessant cellphone users who cannot wait to send text messages while in-flight may have to wait a little longer.

Air New Zealand has indicated it will allow passengers to send text messages but not make calls on board domestic flights.

However, other industry players are far from convinced.

The airline's deputy chief executive, Norm Thompson, said he had discussed the issue at a Star Alliance conference in Vienna, and the matter was on Air New Zealand's agenda.

Air New Zealand would "be in the same space" as European airlines adopting texting capabilities, Thompson said.

more on stuff...
stuff
Old Apr 9, 2008, 4:51 pm

Hmm. I don't think I've ever felt the urge to text message in flight. If a cell phone can text message how can it not accept a call? I'm kind of confused, would they use a jammer to block calls but allow SMS?
Or is it a permission thing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.